For woman ONLY - personal

Options
2»

Replies

• SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period in over 10 years.. I just figured it was from my weight gain so I don't know :$

Not to steal your topic but does anyone know if it's common for someone over 350 pounds to stop getting one? I don't have insurance so seeing a doctor is sort of out of the question right now, my mother went and got her blood work done afew weeks ago and her's costed like $900 WITH insurance..
  • mariasheehan
    mariasheehan Posts: 335
    Options
    Hi all,

I used to take Oil of Evening Primrose and Starflower oil and they really helped, but that was when I lived in Ireland, I haven't even looked here (US) yet, but I really need to as I'm having similar problems.

Oil of Evening Primrose.

Relieve the discomforts of PMS, menopause, menstruation, endometriosis and fibrocystic breasts:

By interfering with the production of inflammatory prostaglandins released during menstruation, the GLA in evening primrose oil can help to lessen menstrual cramps. It may also minimise premenstrual breast tenderness, irritable bowel flare-ups, and carbohydrate cravings, and help to control endometriosis-associated inflammation. Many PMS sufferers are found to have unusually low levels of GLA in their systems, which is why supplements might help so much. In women with fibrocystic breasts, the oil's essential fatty acids can minimise breast inflammation and promote the absorption of iodine, a mineral that can be present in abnormally low levels in women with this condition. In menopause, it is widely reported that Evening Primrose oil reduces hot flushes and increases feelings of well being.
  • Riebop
    Riebop Posts: 275
    Options
    I just deal with it as well. It's usually heavy for the first two days and then it's really light for the next 3. Like "barely there" light. I don't mind it much. Better than regular flowing for 5 days in my opinion. I know that all I need to do is put up with 2 days of being uncomfortable. For those two nights, I do take one Advil with one Advil PM so I'm not up all night feeling gross and in pain.
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is an option for you, but I have the birth control implant in my arm called Implanon. have had it for 6 months, paid $30 for it and since, not one period, cramp or moody outburst. TOM is gone for me- I would reccomend it to everyone

Implanon isn't generally recommended for helping to control TOM, because it can either make it stop or make it go completely haywire. I've had mine for about 7 months, and about a month after I got it I started bleeding and didn't stop until I went back to the doctor and she put me on the pill for one month IN ADDITION to the implanon just to get me back on a regular cycle. Not only did that defeat the purpose of getting the implanon in the first place(I didn't want to have to worry about a pill everyday), but between the two of them my hormones went wacky. And it worked for the time that I was taking the pill, I stopped bleeding then got my period for a week as normal, then throughout the next month started spotting again and now I'm back to bleeding everyday.

Just sayin. Implanon can't guarantee help with your period, it's different for everyone.
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Ya i usually do the second and third days. I just go with it and know it will be over soon!
  • newfielover
    newfielover Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just deal with it. I'm not on birth control and love not having to deal with the side effects of that. I'd never take birth control just to control my period!
    agree
  • rankailie
    rankailie Posts: 144
    Options
    Natural method? Not really, excessive exercise (not necessarily good) can stop/slow your period, but its not always healthy unless you're extremely athletic.

I personally use to get periods that lasted 9-11 days and were extremely heavy for 8 of those at least. It was pretty miserable and started at age 10. I've spent years as a result on depo provera so no periods anymore or the nastiness that comes with it including severe anemia. I actually stopped depo at one point and got a paraguard IUD, and while my periods were significantly less horrible then they had been prior to my first several years on depo I still got a lot of emotional side effects and horrible pain. So I went back on depo.

There is nothing wrong with using BC to regulate your periods, different people have different reactions to birth control. If something makes you miserable there isn't a single thing wrong with wanting to address it, especially since heavy bleeding can cause other medical problems.

That said, I'm currently looking at the Mirena IUD to replace depo provera and my paraguard IUD, its a similar hormone but its localized so you don't get some of the side effects that comes from getting hormones injected. Also means not needing to visit the doctor every three months.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    not saying to not listen to your doctor, if she said take ibuprofen fine, but ibuprofen, even just slighltly over the recommended dose and even only a couple of times a month can lead to very serious kidney issues. again not saying don't do it, ive been known to up the dose as well, just be careful.

I did specifically ask, because the dosage seemed high. But she has assured me 2400 mg per day is not even close to the largest dose allowed. Been doing this for 10+ years now with no ill side effects. :)
  • tiffanyrose519
    tiffanyrose519 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Once I started regularly exercising mine really lightened up and is shorter than it used to be and I rarely get cramps!
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Does anyone experience a "heavy" period the first 2 days? Does anyone know of any natural ways to reduce the "flow"? I heard that exercising, diet (reduce sugar) and ving. cider can help? Any suggestions will be appreciated! :)

Usually mine is the 2nd day...I will say, this is the first time I have really worked out hardcore during my TOM and it went away a heck of a lot quicker!
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    OMG...I just went ot the Dr. for this problem like 2 weeks ago and I explained to her exactly what you have said. She gave me a RX for Lysteda and OMG it has worked wonder,.You take it when your period starts 3x a day for 5days. I can't believe it when I started my period and took it only once it made a huge im telling you huge difference...Im very happy with the results. Now im not sure if I have to take this forever or if my periods will change eventually, but for now I will keep taking it when I have my periods. I go back in two months for a follow-up, so we will see from there.......
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a period in over 10 years.. I just figured it was from my weight gain so I don't know :$

Not to steal your topic but does anyone know if it's common for someone over 350 pounds to stop getting one? I don't have insurance so seeing a doctor is sort of out of the question right now, my mother went and got her blood work done afew weeks ago and her's costed like $900 WITH insurance..

I've never gotten above 225 so I couldn't tell you for sure, but that does not sound right or normal at all! A few years back I had issues where mine would only come 1-2 times a year and after several doctor visits they finally figured out my body was producing too much testosterone (sp?). They stuck me on birth control and after a month everything started working right again... and I've been fine ever since (I haven't taken the pill in 6 years or so now and it still comes every month, sometimes a couple weeks late but it comes!).

Do you have a planned parenthood near you? They can get you checked out for very little cash and even get you on some meds if your hormones are out of whack like mine were. Definately look into it! I know how much it sucks to be without insurance.
  • Marsha_S
    Marsha_S Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    My period is heavy the first couple days also. It's normal for me so I don't really fret about it. As far as I know, it's heavier in the beginning as everything is coming out in a rush, then lessens because there is only the 'dregs' to come out afterwards.

Some people take the birth control that stops their periods for months, but I personally dont believe in it...if mother nature meant for us to be that way, it would've been tht way from day 1. Our body has a cycle to go through and I'm not tampering with it. Not meaning to sound preachy:blushing: , but I know our body can 'react' when we do certain things to it that we aren't supposed to.

good luck with your heavy days:flowerforyou:
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    I used to, but after going on the pill my period has gotten lighter.. :)
  • 16mixingbowls
    16mixingbowls Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Have you looked into going to Planned Pregnancy? Not sure where you live, buy pP in America covers ALL women's reproductive health issues. Depending on your income, it's a sliding scale for payment or there is none at all.
  • AnaBananaChan
    Options
    Warning (work at an OB/GYN): Implanon and any other similar birth control cannot be used for those who have chronic migraines. Tends to make them worse.
  • brittbergh
    brittbergh Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    evening primrose oil during your cycle and red raseberry leaf teas also help lots!
  • MrsBrit2007
    Options
    Before having my son, my periods were 7-10 days long and super heavy for the first 4 or 5 days. It actually wasn't that bad because I didn't get any cramps or PMS symptoms.
    After having him... completely different story. Before I started taking birth control again, they were still 7-10 days, but I now have terrible cramps, etc.

The only thing that helps me is to drink a LOT of water and use a heat pack. (And of course a few squares of chocolate. :wink: ) I try to keep exercising even though I'm in pain because I always feel better after.

Hopefully you find something that works for you!
  • kiwilan
    kiwilan Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I've been having really heavy periods for about 4 days everytime I get it. I'm on the pill and have been on it for a number of years because I was so irregular by like 7 months. But in the last year they have got really heavy for some odd reason when they were fine before. It's so painful just before it comes.
    Might go tell the nurse next month when I'm due for my next lot..