Machines for legs instead of free weights. Thoughts?

Options
I've had a nagging lower back issue over the past few years and this summer went to a chiropractor for the first time. I am an active, 40-year-old woman and the back pain is really frustrating. I am trying to lose about 20 pounds to see if that helps and have lifted (off and on) since I was 18 after first learning technique while a college athlete. (This to say, I know what i'm doing in the weight room.) Anyhow, my chiropractor says he tells everyone to not to do squats because 90% of people do them incorrectly. I am so terrified of aggravating my back again, I haven't done squats for two years. I do lunges, however, with light weights (i.e. 3 lbs dumbbells. Again, I am so freaked out about my back I am hesitant to do anything heavy free weight-wise). It's been awhile since I've done leg press, hamstring press and quads on the machine. Anyone doing leg machine lifts instead of free weight lifts for legs? If so, why, and what has your experience been, in terms of reshaping your legs? TIA!

Replies

• kirstymac89
    kirstymac89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I injured my lower back on the leg press (my own fault - hadn't been to the gym properly in months and started straight back using my 'normal weight') so I now much prefer free weights / the bar, as long as I've got someone nearby to support me. I still use the leg press but I get much better results with free weights.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't have a problem with machines per se. I work them into most of my routines. They can be effective if used correctly, but with back problems, I would think a leg press would be just as risky, if not more so than starting light and learning proper form on a barbell squat because of the tendency to round the lower back as @FatWithFatness mentioned. The keys, I think, are:

1. Pride - Check that *kitten*. Not saying you struggle with it, but a lot do, which is why so many people injure themselves and have terrible form. Don't be afraid to start light/empty until you've got the form down then increase the weight. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

2. Education - Study form, practice form, get an assessment from physical therapists and go from there. I learned by reading Starting Strength, using a broomstick in my living room, and having my wife watch me against form training videos on YouTube and telling me when it looked right. After it looked and felt right, I started with an empty bar and worked my way up. If you can afford to have a professional assessment done, I would say that's always the best option.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    vinerie wrote: »
    I've had a nagging lower back issue over the past few years and this summer went to a chiropractor for the first time. I am an active, 40-year-old woman and the back pain is really frustrating. I am trying to lose about 20 pounds to see if that helps and have lifted (off and on) since I was 18 after first learning technique while a college athlete. (This to say, I know what i'm doing in the weight room.) Anyhow, my chiropractor says he tells everyone to not to do squats because 90% of people do them incorrectly. I am so terrified of aggravating my back again, I haven't done squats for two years. I do lunges, however, with light weights (i.e. 3 lbs dumbbells. Again, I am so freaked out about my back I am hesitant to do anything heavy free weight-wise). It's been awhile since I've done leg press, hamstring press and quads on the machine. Anyone doing leg machine lifts instead of free weight lifts for legs? If so, why, and what has your experience been, in terms of reshaping your legs? TIA!

This surprises me... If your chiro was actually wanting to help people, he should learn how to properly do squats himself and then teach his clients how to do them properly instead of just telling the clients not to do them.

As for the machines, as long as you have proper form (see that - form counts here as well), they have their place and will help you strengthen your legs. Watch that you keep your back flat on the bench and don't round it - the same problem that causes issues with squats. If you can't keep your back flat, lower the weights and work on form before adding weight back in. You can also adjust the position of the bench (back support) so that you can keep your back flat.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    A good physiotherapist will help you get back to squatting, if that's what you want to do.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You need good form on the machines too. I use both machines and free weights, but not too focused on "reshaping" my legs. I'm focused on building strength and endurance and better looking legs are the side benefits. I feel machines can have a useful place in your program because for me they help me do some things (upper body) that are difficult to do with good form on DB because of issues I have.
    My back definitely improved with weight loss and core strengthening. My low back issues have virtually disappeared.
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My back is terrible as well. The best thing I've read in regards to improving legs, is doing everything as single leg only. Single leg leg press, pistol squats, etc...
  • joshuarussell9206
    Options
    You're better off doing free weights instead of machines across the board. Your chiropractor might be right that 90% of people do squats wrong but that shouldn't be a deterrent-use that as motivation to do them properly. I would recommend the squatting method taught by Mark Rippetoe in his book, Starting Strength. Proper form is the key to consistent and injury-free strength training and in the 19 years I have been lifting I know of no better way to squat.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was laid up with an SI joint problem a few years ago, and my physical therapist had me doing a variety of squats & deadlifts during rehab (with dumbbells). They suggested I stay away from barbell lifting, but I'm back at it and haven't had any problems since. Not as heavy as I used to, but more than I could handle with dumbbells.

Before I had my home gym and only went to Planet Fitness, I did all the weight machines. I had good results. Just not as good as when I switched to free weights.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The problem I found with machines is that they require your body to conform to the angles, etc. of the machine which may not be optimal for a person's individual body structure - seat heights, placement of weight load, etc.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    The problem I found with machines is that they require your body to conform to the angles, etc. of the machine which may not be optimal for a person's individual body structure - seat heights, placement of weight load, etc.

This... unnatural bar path.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    what has your experience been, in terms of reshaping your legs?

Reshaping as in reducing fat, not making them bigger, yes? That's from a calorie deficit, not from leg exercises. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth".

Ask an M.D. before doing any strength exercises. And try to get a diagnosis for your pain. You might need a referral to a physical therapist. :+1:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

I had horrible back pain for almost 20 years. I had horrible sciatica, i could step wrong or sneeze and throw my back out. I was terrified about lifting, my back always hurt. I got a good coach and learned to deadlift properly which was two fold benefit. I learned to lift and trained my body to move the right way without hurting my back, and i built up core and lower body strength to protect my back. I haven't had a twinge in my back since and its been many many years. I personally dont think the leg press or machines are your best option because its not gonna train your body for real life movements, and they dont build up your core. Focus on form with free weights, and use low weights if you have to , that will be so much more beneficial than trying to stack on lbs on machines. Us the TRX to help with squat form, its an awesome way to squat and protect your back and build confidence. and dont be afraid to invest in a good coach, its worth it.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    what has your experience been, in terms of reshaping your legs?

Reshaping as in reducing fat, not making them bigger, yes? That's from a calorie deficit, not from leg exercises. For more on that, google "spot reduction myth".

Ask an M.D. before doing any strength exercises. And try to get a diagnosis for your pain. You might need a referral to a physical therapist. :+1:

I think you missed the part about me being a former collegiate athlete (at a major institution) and lifting for more than 20 years. I more than know my way around the weight room and have also had lots of training on technique. and nowhere in my summary did I suggest that one can spot-reduce. I was looking for informed responses on lifting weights, not condescension. Thanks.
  • vinerie
    vinerie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    thank you to most of the responders. I haven't used leg machines (maybe ever) and have always used free weights when lifting lower body (and upper for that matter). For anyone who has had a back injury, you know how it can screw with your thinking and I appreciate the feedback. Consulting a physical therapist is on my list of things to do, but I work full time at a crazy job and did I mention I have a 16-month old and my husband is also squeezed at work? It's a lot, but I do what I can to keep my fitness up!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I find that - generally speaking (for me) - my form is really good with squats and dead lifts (well, for full disclosure, my form on both is really good now.....it has been a journey getting there, to be honest). I also find that - for me - I am more prone for bad form on the machines. Not talking about hamstring curls or leg extensions....talking about the leg press machine (where you sit back and your feet are above your head on that big square platform and you "press" the weight....). I tend to hurt myself on that if I go past a certain weight. Below that weight, I am okay. I can feel that my form is incorrect and I know that I have to fix it. Like I have on my squat and dead lift.

But, all of that is specific to me. If your form is correct....no worries.

The only "objection" that I have for machines is that - generally speaking - you remove the stabilizer muscles from the lift. That is more for upper body stuff, though. And, what I mean by that....if you are using dumbbells or a barbell, you have to keep the dumbbells | barbell straight and centered. That means you have to keep it 'centered' "front to back" as well as "left to right"! With a lot of the machines, that is not a concern as all you have to do is "push" the machine arms up and down (or whatever).

I am a HUGE fan of doing dumbbells | barbells over machines everyday of the week and then twice on Sunday! But that is just me.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    And, to address the "don't do squats" comment from your doctor....I injured my left knee in high school football (yeah....the Glory Days). It was really messed up. For the longest time I was afraid to do squats. I mean, I was 15 when I tore up my left knee....I was 49 when I started doing squats.

Now, in between I was a distance runner. I would run up to 13 miles (in 75 minutes...so, I can run a little bit). I never had any knee problems until I twisted that same knee a few times while running on the Green Way. That kinda made distance running an issue for me. I could run through the pain, but why do that?

Anyway, I started doing squats about one year ago. Freaking love them. Now, I have gone through all of the dumb stuff due to bad form. The blessing in each event was that my form got that much better! Now, I have pretty dang good form. And my legs are getting a lot stronger. A lot stronger!

You do you. Whatever works for you. But, if you are thinking about doing barbell squats and are on the fence, try all of the other suggestions first. Once you are comfortable there then go for just the bar. I completely and TOTALLY understand the mental aspect to this.

I was - for the longest time - dead set against doing squats. I finally just googled something like "doing squats with bad knees" and found AthleneX and Scott Herman and a few others. Well, when I am not laid out (from an injuty because of bad form) I am loving them. And, to be honest, there are several reasons to the bad form. Mostly, me being really stubborn!

Take this for what it is worth......I do not regret starting squats at all. Really love them (behind dead lifts, but love them both).

And, totally understand that a bad knee is a bit different from a bad back. Was more focusing on the mental aspect........
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I was doing the majority of my lower body work on machines for a while after injuring my SI joint.
    I guess I managed to maintain a fair amount of muscle/strength by doing this, but the stabilizer muscles got very weak.. When I did try to return to non-machine/barbell movements I had all kinds of issues (such as knee cave during squats, even with light weight) that were never a problem before. I don't feel like this transferred to any "real world strength" because of this... My quads/hamstrings are strong, everything else is not. Lower back strength is also a big issue for me, strictly machine work for legs did nothing for that. Compared to the barbell work I was doing previously I feel like I have some major imbalances now.