Run: building muscle

Options
People always say running won't help you to get more muscle, worsely you could lose it. is this true? Won't you get your muscles in your lower body strengthened through running at least? I am confused.

Replies

• rzarecter
    rzarecter Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running wil improve your circulation, oxigen flow and blood stream. Stamina also. Lower body strenght will not increase based on running.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The muscles become adapted to running. Think of a runners physic typically. Lean and small muscle build because they have adapted to be as efficient at running as possible. No point in big muscles, just more weight to move. Not efficient. They are strong but strong to run. But probably can't move much weight in the gym.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have been running for about a year. My legs look more or less the same, just a bit slimmer, but instead of being squishy, they feel very muscular, and my calf muscles are more prominent. The muscles are stronger, obviously, but running only really strengthened my leg muscles. Everything else has been tones through strength training.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    N=1

I spend no time in the gym. I run. I bike a little. I'm usually in the top 5% of finishers in a 5k.
    I can squat 2x my body weight. I can bench about 50% of my body weight. I carry almost no fat on my legs.

But unless you are my brother, I can't tell you how you'll adapt to running.
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Dwayne Johnson does 45 minutes of cardio every morning before breakfast, then eats and goes to the gym and lifts, Brandon White from Buff Dudes does an hour of fasted cardio every morning also, these are just a couple of examples of people with a lot of muscle that still do conditioning, cardio being catabolic is a myth perpetuated by the lazy.

If you are untrained you will gain some muscle as your body adapts, but you won't get jacked.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Dwayne Johnson does 45 minutes of cardio every morning before breakfast, then eats and goes to the gym and lifts, Brandon White from Buff Dudes does an hour of fasted cardio every morning also, these are just a couple of examples of people with a lot of muscle that still do conditioning, cardio being catabolic is a myth perpetuated by the lazy. .

Not to be the logical-fallacy police, but maybe their lifting counteracts some of the muscle lost from doing fasted cardio, and that they'd be even bigger without cardio. :+1:
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Dwayne Johnson does 45 minutes of cardio every morning before breakfast, then eats and goes to the gym and lifts, Brandon White from Buff Dudes does an hour of fasted cardio every morning also, these are just a couple of examples of people with a lot of muscle that still do conditioning, cardio being catabolic is a myth perpetuated by the lazy. .

Not to be the logical-fallacy police, but maybe their lifting counteracts some of the muscle lost from doing fasted cardio, and that they'd be even bigger without cardio. :+1:

I'm also not sure I'd use Dwayne Johnson as the baseline for MFP scenarios.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The best way I can describe it is I feel muscle growth in my legs but I can't really see it as bulk.
  • FatWithFatness
    Options

https://www.t-nation.com/training/6-muscle-building-myths-debunked

Read #3
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

I'm also not sure I'd use Dwayne Johnson as the baseline for MFP scenarios.

.... especially considering he isn't natty.

This is fair.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Why do you think he would lose any muscle from fasted cardio?
    He's not exactly undernourished!
  • FatWithFatness
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Why do you think he would lose any muscle from fasted cardio?
    He's not exactly undernourished!

Fasted cardio is something body builders have been doing for decades, especially leading up to comp. It's just perpetuated laziness.
  • tomaattikastike
    tomaattikastike Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Running will certainly strengthen your lower back and leg muscles. If you jog only very gently on flat terrain, you will not feel or stimulate your muscles that much, but if you run fast or sprint, and especially if you do so uphill, your legs and lower back muscles will burn quickly enough, and you will strengthen them over time.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Some bodybuilders live so intensely that just being awake is cardio. And they never lose gains. *nods*

giphy.gif
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    YorkApples wrote: »
    People always say running won't help you to get more muscle, worsely you could lose it. is this true? Won't you get your muscles in your lower body strengthened through running at least? I am confused.

You're not going to build significant volume with running, although as you lose fat you're likely to see increased leg definition. Hill running has some potential to help though, particularly in balancing the effects on front and back of leg. What running will help is leg strength, to a point. Many runners also resistance train as there is benefit to running from that, particularly around both pace and resilience.

You're not going to lose volume from running unless you're also in a deep deficit. Equally a deep deficit is bad for running performance.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Running will certainly strengthen your lower back and leg muscles. If you jog only very gently on flat terrain, you will not feel or stimulate your muscles that much, but if you run fast or sprint, and especially if you do so uphill, your legs and lower back muscles will burn quickly enough, and you will strengthen them over time.

But only to the extent needed to adapt to the relatively low amount of resistance necessary for those activities. It’s not a substitute for resistance training.