Those days when you realise how far you've come

Race days are often high on the sense of accomplishment, but sometimes just random days I get all impressed with myself and how far I've come fitness wise.
A few years ago, going for a 5km walk with a baby in the pram was a big thing and probably all the exercise I'd do that day and the most I'd do all week.
Today I ran 16km and walked 17km (while pushing one or two preschoolers in the pram) and sure, I'm tired, but I also feel great. And I also feel super fit!
What's the last time you randomly realised how far you've come from where you started?

Replies

• CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    litoria wrote: »
    When I got to the top of the Everest Base Camp trek. I was once morbidly obese

Now that's a story I'd love to hear. Wow! Congratulations!!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Last Sunday I ran 7 miles for the first time in my life. A few months ago I couldn't even run 1 mile without getting tired, and the fact that I'm now aiming towards my first half marathon is big for me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    litoria wrote: »
    When I got to the top of the Everest Base Camp trek. I was once morbidly obese

Photos, please. :smile:

And congratulations! I bet that was the adventure of ten lifetimes.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    When I hiked to the top of a 14er this summer.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    What's the last time you randomly realised how far you've come from where you started?

On my way home during a routine after work ride. There's a fork in the road, they both got the same place, but one goes up and down a hill, the other stays on the flat. I realized that I always just take the hill option as a matter of course. When I was heavier and less fit I'd go out of my way to avoid hills.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    In June, I entered a Half less than a week before the race.

My first HM had a 16 week training plan leading to it. I will acknowledge that it had only been three weeks after my second marathon of the year, but it did catch me out a little to realise that I wasn't intimidated by the distance.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    The first time I deadlifted 405.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    All the time. Most recent was this week when I did my 5 month measurements and my deadlift form is solid (it wasn't a month ago).
  • EatingAndKnitting
    EatingAndKnitting Posts: 531 Member
    I can't always, because I have an abnormal knee that doesn't always let me walk without a lot of pain, but on a good day I can walk three miles without resting. Six months ago I was doing good to walk one, and that's with resting.

On a bad day I can only walk one, if I'm lucky, but the reason I can only walk one mile has to do mechanics in my knee I have no control over causing extreme pain - not fitness.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Race days are often high on the sense of accomplishment, but sometimes just random days I get all impressed with myself and how far I've come fitness wise.
    A few years ago, going for a 5km walk with a baby in the pram was a big thing and probably all the exercise I'd do that day and the most I'd do all week.
    Today I ran 16km and walked 17km (while pushing one or two preschoolers in the pram) and sure, I'm tired, but I also feel great. And I also feel super fit!

When I realized my warm-up used to be my workout...

Haha I was thinking the same thing the other day. It's great!
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    When I get through a bunch of burpees - I was unable to get off the floor without grabbing the furniture this time last year.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,477 Member
    Standing on the top of Mt Wellington, after cycling there ........ when about a year before that I was walking all but the smallest of hills.