Grocery store shopping

I am going to the grocery store today, what are some staple foods and or snacks you have readily available for a quick easy go to eating. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited October 2017
    How much time do we have for this discussion? How familiar are you with what you want to do?

Are you trying to achieve a particular way of eating, requiring particularly focused advice?

• cwilber1
    cwilber1 Posts: 30 Member
    Fiber One bars - the 90 calorie bars.Good for a quick treat. Mini rice cakes, fruit, mini cucumbers, mini bell peppers, string cheese or laughing cow & mini pouch pretzels, bruschetta, thomas' lite english muffins. You have to read some labels, but its surprising what is out there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    String cheese, hard boiled eggs, almonds, baby carrots, fudge pops, pancake mix, sandwich thins, frozen veggies, Greek yogurt, diet soda, protein bars, fruit
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Fruit, veggies that can be eaten either raw or cooked, almonds, bread, canned white meat chicken (cannot stand tuna), protein bars, cheese, plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese.
  • anniee1
    anniee1 Posts: 17 Member
    Hello I only just started here and aiming to lose at least 20lbs. I did a big food shop yesterday and got plenty of fresh veg and fruit. And also some frozen so it’s always easy to make smoothies or add veg to any meal. I’ve also prepared 3 different soups for the next 3 weeks of lunches (full of hidden veg!). I also made some engergy bites (I used dried fruit!). For me planning is essential otherwise I graze on anything and everything.

Chopped up veggie sticks in the fridge are always good to grab and fruit like grapes are good to snack on whilst watch tv.

I think planning meals is key. Write your meal plans before you shop, so you know exactly what you need and can’t make excuses of not having the ingredients. And try to only snack on fruit and veg. Raw bars are great too if you need something a little extra.

Good luck with your weight loss :)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited October 2017
    Staples: eggs, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, 1% milk (me), lactose-free whole milk (spouse), angelic bakery whole grain bread, english muffins, salad stuff, fruit, oatmeal, farro, brown rice, sweet potatoes, winter squash, red beets with greens attached, frozen green beans, onions, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, canned tomato sauce, various spices, olive oil, canola oil, sweet cream butter, wheat/bran spoon size shredded wheat, lean beef, whole chicken, whole pork loin (cut and frozen into meal portions at home). Also whole wheat & all purpose flour, whole-grain corn meal, flour tortillas, various cheeses.

Snacks: almonds, skinny pop, (fruit-see above), salted, roasted edamame
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Fascinating question! I eat a variety of foods, so I don't think I have any staple foods - I'm more and more inclined to think I like almost everything, and all my meals are easy, but I like to spend some time on cooking. What are YOU going to make, what do YOU like?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I eat the same breakfasts/lunches everyday. My dinners are home cooked from a lot of recipes I have created here.

Easy to go to snacks for me can be popcorn, pb and celery, pb and crackers, protein bars, nuts/nut mixes, cheese, raw veggies, hard boiled eggs, etc. Even these snacks need to be weighed and put in containers/to go bags.

Meal prepping is important and my grocery list is created based on the foods I eat daily and recipes I plan to make that week.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Baby carrots have been a life saver for me. Perfect little snack for late afternoon so I’m not starving at dinner
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    I pretty much abide by that old adage that it's best to shop the perimeter of the grocery store. My basics include lots of produce of all kinds to eat raw or cooked, proteins like lean meat, eggs, fish, cottage cheese, yogurt, hummus. I also eat a lot of corn tortillas rather than bread. I don't drink milk much but I do like my coconut or almond milk coffee creamer.

I only venture down the middle aisles if I need toilet paper, dish soap or wine.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    fruit, carrots, tomatoes, cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese, granola bars, eggs
  • nicolega2001
    nicolega2001 Posts: 48 Member
    cwilber1 wrote: »
    Fiber One bars - the 90 calorie bars.Good for a quick treat. Mini rice cakes, fruit, mini cucumbers, mini bell peppers, string cheese or laughing cow & mini pouch pretzels, bruschetta, thomas' lite english muffins. You have to read some labels, but its surprising what is out there.

Are you my food twin? That sounds like what I snack on!

• cwilber1
    cwilber1 Posts: 30 Member
    Possibly! These are staples for me.I love those mini cukes. Also grape tomatoes. Mini stuff convinces me I'm eating more! I'm also trying the portion control "method". Sometimes it works!