Estimated calories in take-out chicken nuggets?

Options
Hi everyone. We had a long day out with the children today so we grabbed food on the way home. My husband chose his favourite kebab shop - I got chicken nuggets (no chips) as I thought that was probably the most sensible choice!

They didn't have any nutrition information, do you think these would be roughly the same calories as McDonald's chicken nuggets? (McDonald's nutrition info is available online.) Not sure how else to estimate the number of calories from this.

I had only eaten 300 calories before this, am I safe to assume I will still be within my calories for the day? I'm on 1200 calories per day.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• amrwills
    amrwills Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The chicken nuggets looked more or less exactly the same! Same size. McDonald's says 259 calories for 6, 388 calories for 9. Which I just don't think seems like much for take out food.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I would use the McDonalds calories. I am also on 1200 calories. I’ve found it to be satisfying, although I have given up my guilty pleasures. And my stomach woke me up this morning growling!
  • mlsh1969
    mlsh1969 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I would use McDonald's calorie count. The amount seems reasonable to me. Or u could just approximate 50 calories per nugget. So for 6 about 300
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    amrwills wrote: »
    The chicken nuggets looked more or less exactly the same! Same size. McDonald's says 259 calories for 6, 388 calories for 9. Which I just don't think seems like much for take out food.

Well it's also not a lot of food for 260 calories, to be fair.

But yeah, I'd look up chicken nuggets from fast food chains and use something similar.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's not a bad idea to use fast food chains as your benchmark, especially if you think that the nuggets were the food service pre-packaged cooked from frozen kind.

If you think that the nuggets were more likely real chicken breast breaded and fried in house, then you could always use that as your benchmark.

That said, assuming that 6 nuggets is about 4-5 ounces of food, then something in the 250-300 calorie range sounds totally appropriate.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i too would choose mcpukes calorie counts for nuggets.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb for logging any restaurant food you're not sure about the calorie count of is to find a reasonable comparative item from a chain restaurant so I think your approach of using McDonalds or another fast food entry is a solid one.

I would also take some time to consider if 1200 is the appropriate goal for the amount of weight you have to lose as it is the minimum recommended for women, especially if you do any activity then you need to make sure to eat back some of those calories.