Sodium / Salt

Options
2»

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Does the sodium listed on U.S. nutrition labels only include sodium from (table) salt (NaCl)? What if there are other compounds with sodium in the food, like baking soda (NaHCO3) or monosodium glutamate? Doesn't the label include that sodium as well?

The EU label seems weird to me, saying "Salt content is exclusively due to the presence of naturally occurring sodium," since you can have tons of naturally occurring sodium, but if there are no chloride ions, there's no salt. And it's sodium that's the concern (for those for whom it is a concern), not just sodium in salt, right?
    The FDA says that those other sources of sodium are included in the Sodium number in the Nutrition Facts.

Some common food additives – like monosodium glutamate (MSG), sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), sodium nitrite, and sodium benzoate – also contain sodium and contribute (in lesser amounts) to the total amount of “sodium” listed on the Nutrition Facts Label.

As for that EU label, I just grabbed a random one I found on Google Images to use as a sample and I have no idea about how EU labeling is regulated.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 189 Member
    Options

The EU label seems weird to me, saying "Salt content is exclusively due to the presence of naturally occurring sodium," since you can have tons of naturally occurring sodium, but if there are no chloride ions, there's no salt. And it's sodium that's the concern (for those for whom it is a concern), not just sodium in salt, right?

That disclaimer on the label will be specific to that product, if the product only has natural occurring sodium and no added salt then the salt content listed is the amount of salt, in grams derived from naturally occurring sodium.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    The US and Australia have Sodium on the nutrional labels. As MFP is heavy on American members, where would the people be getting Salt numbers?
    The United Kingdom, the OP is quite correct, could we not have a place to list salt please. It is a bind trying to convert it.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    I watch sodium- why you only watch salt? I check the sodium numbers against the labels and they are usually pretty accurate. I’m not sure where this is coming from.
    Not in the UK & Europe.

• JKVeganAbroad
    JKVeganAbroad Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In Japan, our nutritional labels used to describe "sodium" (in-line with the US standard). However, a major study published in 2013 investigated if the people of Japan could understand the quantity of salt from nutritional labels. (PMID: 24173359 DOI: 10.1038/hr.2013.149 ) They found that only 13.3% of respondents could correctly determine the "salt equivalent" of sodium.

In other words, most people cannot make healthy choices based on the daily recommended salt intake, if "sodium" is written on the nutritional facts label. As a result, the nutritional labels in Japan have changed and now list "Salt Equivalent" instead of sodium (sometimes labels list both).

So this is probable rational as to why the UK and Europe (and now Japan) list "Salt" instead of "Sodium".
    moestavern wrote: »
    If you need to work out your intake from grams salt to milligrams of sodium, then follow this......

Grams of salt (in ur case as example 0.3)
    Now divide that by 2.5 then multiply it by a 1000.

So 0.3 grams of salt contains 120mg of sodium.

To elaborate on this "2.5" number: in chemistry, this is the inverse of the molar mass ratio of sodium to sodium chloride. I can see this number has been used for simplicity, but here's an alternative which is more "intuitive":
    Salt (sodium chloride) = 1 sodium atom + 1 chloride atom

Sodium atoms weigh less than chloride atoms, therefore (despite the 1:1 ratio), simply halving the mass of salt does NOT give the mass of sodium. In fact, the known mass ratio of sodium to sodium chloride is 22.99 : 58.44, which equates to 0.3934 grams of sodium per 1 gram of salt (22.99÷58.44=0.3934).

Since sodium is therefore 39.34% of salt, you can derive the sodium content from Japanese and European labels by multiplying the salt equivalent by 39.34%. Conversely, you can convert the sodium content of US labels into the salt equivalent by dividing by 39.34%.

But dividing is less "intuitive", so we can instead find the inverse and realise that 1÷0.3934=2.542. Rather than thinking "we know that sodium is 39.34% the mass of salt, let's reverse that", we can think "salt is 254.2% heavier than sodium".

This is where the "2.5" number comes from. However, if you're converting grams to milligrams, I would say 2.5 is insufficient. You should use 2.54 instead. To re-calculate the example mentioned:
    300 milligrams Salt ÷ 2.54 = 118 mg Sodium (not 120 mg)

So, to summarise all of that, here are the general equations people will need:
    Converting from US & Australian labels:
    Salt Equivalent (g) = Sodium (mg) × 2.542 ÷ 1000

Converting from European & Japanese labels:
    Sodium (mg) = Salt Equivalent (g) × 393.4
    or
    Sodium (mg) = Salt Equivalent (g) ÷ 2.542 × 1000

Disclosure: I have a science degree in biological chemistry.
  • homemyfitness
    homemyfitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just to post, after many years the problem continues and I just discovered I was making this mistake. I was completely alarmed by the amount of "salt" on my food, when the problem was actually this messe between "salt" and "sodium".
  • SilverZander
    SilverZander Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Still an issue. I have started using the App and here in the UK food label shows SALT yet the App enters it as SODIUM. The food database I can see some entries as 1.1g of salt put in the app as 1.1mg of sodium. Completely incorrect so now I am closely monitoring this when scanning food with the bar code scanner.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Still an issue. I have started using the App and here in the UK food label shows SALT yet the App enters it as SODIUM. The food database I can see some entries as 1.1g of salt put in the app as 1.1mg of sodium. Completely incorrect so now I am closely monitoring this when scanning food with the bar code scanner.

It's not something they're going to change. People have complained about it for years. There are a number of already discussed reasons that MFP will not and never will change it.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    All I know.. is whenever I used to log my food.. my sodium number was in red and way off the charts. I never understood why and I basically ignored all the breakdown recommendations and simply tried to hit my calorie limit. I never ate processed and salt ridden foods.so didn't get why the alarming huge number. I always thought it was off and an error on MFP programming.