Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Gross bro.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That sounds remarkably unappealing to me, too.
    My cardiologist actually told me to increase my sodium. Every once in a while, medically, I luck out. ;)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Just gotta ask.

Who is flagging the posts above? And why?

It was two years ago.....

Wow.

I'm usually good at seeing this and missed it completely.

K, call me a dumbass

I missed it, too!
    Still gross though. ;)
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Gee, that sounds utterly disgusting. Glad I do not care about sodium, but even if I did I can't imagine ever actually doing this.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I don't care how old this thread is. I'm gonna respond anyway.

Rinsing cottage cheese for THREE WHOLE MINUTES? Put a timer on that. That's a long, long time. Is anything even left after all that water strains through the mush and runs down the drain? Plus, gross. No, I'll keep the sodium and the calcium, thanks. My blood pressure is excellent. I don't worry about stuff like that. B)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Ew.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    To reduce rinsing why not just get reduced sodium cottage cheese or no sodium cottage cheese.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The evens that I can't.

Cottage cheese is one of my favorite foods and is a staple in my diet. I happen to need salt (am on a medication which lowers my blood sodium), but even if I weren't... I'm an older woman. I need the calcium.

I can't see wasting calcium just to get rid of the sodium. If you don't want the sodium in cottage cheese, either eat yogurt instead or buy low sodium cottage cheese. I also wonder how much protein you're rinsing away.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't rinse cottage cheese, but I do rinse canned beans, even low sodium ones. It does reduce the sodium content quite a bit.

By how much, and how do you log it?

How to Reduce Sodium in Canned Beans | Healthy Eating | SF Gate

healthyeating.sfgate.com/reduce-sodium-canned-beans-4219.html

^ see above, rinsing reduces sodium quite a bit, and many times low sodium is not available in some types of beans. My philosophy, why not rinse. It is quicker than using dry beans.
  • JulieJoyScott
    JulieJoyScott Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm doing KETO, and wonder if rinsing 4% cottage cheese would lower the CARB count. (My brand has 5 carbs in 1/2 cup.) We don't have sodium concerns, so I probably couldn't do more than a 30-60 second rinse. Thanks in advance.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No, it wouldn't lower the carb count. Washing tuna doesn't take the fish away because that's the main ingredient. The gross part about rinsing your cottage cheese is that the water you're rinsing it in may be worse tasting than the sodium you're washing off. Depends on your quality of tap water but then you really kick it up a few notches by boiling the water first, cooling it down before your rinse. That's what clean eating is all about. Wash, rinse, repeat.
    nah-crazy-rabbit-emoticon.gif?1292793775.
  • BlessedMom70
    BlessedMom70 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I eat cottage cheese several times a week and don't think I will be rinsing it. :(
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Why does this weird *kitten* thread keep getting bumped?? :laugh:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm doing KETO, and wonder if rinsing 4% cottage cheese would lower the CARB count. (My brand has 5 carbs in 1/2 cup.) We don't have sodium concerns, so I probably couldn't do more than a 30-60 second rinse. Thanks in advance.

Carbs, fats and proteins are all part of the structure of the cheese curds themselves. That's like trying to rinse the carbs off your pasta or rinse the protein off your chicken. It would only lower the carb count if you rinse the cottage cheese right down the drain. That will lower all the macros and micros...LOL.

I'm gonna go rinse me some Reese's peanut butter cups right now. >:)
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

Carbs, fats and proteins are all part of the structure of the cheese curds themselves. That's like trying to rinse the carbs off your pasta or rinse the protein off your chicken. It would only lower the carb count if you rinse the cottage cheese right down the drain. That will lower all the macros and micros...LOL.

I'm gonna go rinse me some Reese's peanut butter cups right now. >:)

Actually, it will increase the ratio of carbs to calories if you rinse off the cream (well, the liquid in old-fashioned homemade creamed cottage cheese was actually cream -- not sure if that's true of commercial cottage cheese) -- anyway, if you compare the USDA database entries for creamed and uncreamed cottage cheese, you'll see that the calories-to-carbs ratio in creamed cottage cheese is more than twice the calories-to-carbs ratio in uncreamed (dry curd) cottage cheese. The liquid that would be rinsed away is a different product than the curds you would be left with, and apparently the liquid is much less carb-y than the curds are. I guess if you didn't increase the serving size because you were rinsing part of it away, you might end up with slightly less total carb grams than you started with, but the food would be more carb-dense (proportionately) than what you started with.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options
    Or, shocking, I know, you could just not eat cottage cheese. Gasp!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Ok admittedly this sounds really gross BUT with that said, I rinse ground beef. I've done this for several years now and it does sound disgusting to some people so I can't really judge the OP :)

I rinsed ground beef - once - back when fat was going to kill us all. Rinsed out all the flavor. Decided I'd prefer to live dangerously. Then it turned out that was all a Big Fat Lie.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Truly a crime...has anyone tried eating no fat, low sodium cottage cheese? Tastes like sand compared to 4% full artery clogging fat, hypertension inducing/peripheral vascular resistance increasing salt (joking, moderation...)