NO SUGAR ADDED

Options
dianny13
dianny13 Posts: 4 Member
Losing and keeping weight off has been hard for me. Sticking to a healthy menu for more then 6 wks was difficult. I have stopped eating food with added sugar after the first few day noticed i am not craving and my appetite has lessened. I eat 3 meals a day-no snacks. It is nice to not feel hungry all the time and other positive changes has happened. It's been two weeks and I have lost 6 lbs and I'm not craving foods.

Replies

• strawberrysnap
    strawberrysnap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Definitely noticed the same, when I don't eat added sugar for a few days I no longer crave it as much, congrats on the weight loss !
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cool, congrats on the start! 3 meals, no snacks is what works best for me too. I cut out added sugar when I started (I lost most of my weight in 2014) and did that for a while and found I was able to moderate it when I added it back in and just had a post dinner dessert occasionally.
  • dianny13
    dianny13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Finding it easier to pass on sugar. Lost another 6 pounds. But I do miss my occasional glass of wine. Lite beer doesn't have the same craving effect as wine so I have an occasional beer. Nice to be free of the nightly craving for sweets.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You've got this!
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Quiting added sugar and bread, pasta, rice, helped me to lose a lot of my insatiable hunger. No in between meals seems to work better than having snacks for the same reason.

Congratulations on finding your way to stay on the beam!

Its been encouraging for me to read your progress, thank you.
  • shadboxman
    shadboxman Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet and sugar costs me too many carbs to continue to use it in my morning coffee. What is the best thing to use?
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I gave up sugar many years ago and never was crazy about artificial sweeteners. I use Stevia when I want a little sweetness. Unlike other artificial sweeteners it is from a plant and therefore more natural. In fact I even have a Stevia plant that I dry the leaves and use in tea.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @shadboxman after I gave up sugar and when LCHF I just moved to Heavy Whipping Cream only and not for less calories I just add a good amount of half and half to my coffee after I leave the house. My first cup in the morning just gets half and half and coconut oil.

In a few weeks after going zero added sugar many things became sweeter tasting. I now eat 100% Cacao unsweetened chocolate like candy.

In my case it turned out sugar was not a physical requirement for things to taste sweet.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Cutting out added sugars has been really good for me. It's made this process much easier.

@1BRIGHTCHICK I also skip the artificial sweeteners.

I haven't given up carbs, but try to keep in my set macros and usually whole grains. Love fruit, still have a few servings a day.

Disclaimer, I make an exception for molasses, which I take for iron, 1Tbsp several times per week. It doesn't trigger cravings for me. I have been experimenting with baking with unsweetened applesauce and dates. The issue with dates is, you don't want more than the equivalent of two dates per serving (or per day), they are quite high in natural sugar -- but also have fiber, magnesium and other good stuff.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    shadboxman wrote: »
    I am on a low carb diet and sugar costs me too many carbs to continue to use it in my morning coffee. What is the best thing to use?

I personally don't like sweetened coffee, so will recommend black.

But some seem to use heavy cream, some sweetener (stevia is one of many sweeteners, you'd need to experiment to see what you like), and some (ugh, not for me) coconut oil and butter, although you'd have to blend that. Almond or cashew milk is low carb if you like it. Some enjoy some protein powder in coffee too (again, I imagine you'd need to blend it).

I'm a fan of cream, but like it as much black and prefer to save the calories.
  • kisaiyuki
    kisaiyuki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    dwilliamca wrote: »
    I gave up sugar many years ago and never was crazy about artificial sweeteners. I use Stevia when I want a little sweetness. Unlike other artificial sweeteners it is from a plant and therefore more natural. In fact I even have a Stevia plant that I dry the leaves and use in tea.
    Most sweeteners come from a plant. Sugar Beets, Sugar Cane, Stevia, and all the Sugar-Alcohols all go through a processing method to give you something you can actually use.

Stevia has been used for like 50 years in Japan instead of the cheaper artificial sweeteners in things that would normally have used cane sugar.

Because commercial businesses like to shave pennies off their costs, that is why American food (and to some extent, Canadian, and European foods) have become nutritionally depleted. They replace the raw ingredient with an adulterated chemical formula that either mimics the function of the original ingredient, or mimics the sweetness.

The three ways to sweeten a food without an artificial sweetener is, sugar, stevia, and sugar-alcohols like Erythritol (produced by yeast.) Of which Stevia is actually far more potent of a sweetener, so you need much less of it.

However if you like making foods yourself, anything that requires yeast can not have it's sugar substituted with an alternative. Likewise anything that browns or caramelizes will likely go straight to burned without sugar in it. But really you don't want things too brown anyway since that produces acrylamide, which causes tumors to develop. There's your overcooked carbs/sugar = cancer connection.

What people should avoid are foods containing Aspartame (NutraSweet), Acesulfame potassium, and Sucralose (Splenda) unless you're diabetic. The "zero calorie" foods containing artificial sweeteners are moving to Sucralose if they are required to be shelf-stable, and unfortunately, foods containing Sucralose tend to result in GI tract disturbances because the gut flora can't do anything with it.

The only risk for Stevia is for people who are pregnant, and even then that is for commercially derived Stevia (Rebiana / Truvia / PureVia) used in drinks. It is currently unknown if there are carcinogenic effects since it's too new. So if you're concerned about this, read the labels.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    OP hasn't logged on since July. We're in Necro-land now.