Look bigger despite weight loss

Options
I was stuck on a plateau for 4 weeks, now I’m starting to lose weight again, but I look bigger then I did at a higher weight 4 weeks ago. I work as a quality inspector in an automotive factory, so I’m running my *kitten* off all day. For 8 hours I’m on my feet, bending, lifting and running around both warehouse and factory. I make well over 10k steps a day and am moving huge metal bins on a regular basis. I eat about 1800 cals a day and drink a ton of water. However, before I started this job, I went to the gym and now I don’t. Please advise.

Replies

• KevannC
    KevannC Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Could be water weight? What is your tdee? You seem quite active so maybe you put on a slight bit of muscle in that month.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Just gonna ask the silly question: what does your 1800 calories look like? More curious than anything.

And, for full disclosure, I am currently not doing any training, either. Working on lower Carb intake (like 65g or less) and look a lot leaner after three or four days of doing this. And, I am a 50yo male, 6'0" @ 208lbs. If I go back up to "normal" carb intake (200g+) then I look (and feel) bloated within a day or two. My pants fit a bit snugger and and and.

I do have a higer A1C (pre-diabetic.....and that for the last decade) so playing with lower carbs for health reasons....so, not bashing carbs here (which seems to be quite popular....not a part of that).

So, TDEE is comprised of several things: BMR + PA + NEAT + TEF. It would seem that you have a really good NEAT (always on your feet at work, more than 10,000 steps, et al). You mention 1,800 Calories a day. Is this deficit, maintenance or surplus? I am sure that you are in a deficit but I always ask. But, you now have no PA. That might not be such a big deal.....what type of training did you do before you started this job?

What were you consuming when you reached that plateau? And have you done anything differently in the last four weeks?

Lots and lots of questions....sorry! Don't like to answer with questions but sometimes I do.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements of your body?
    Are your clothes tighter?
    Do you think you look bigger all over or in certain areas?
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I find I look particularly bigger in my waist, *kitten* and thighs. I know a lot is water weight, but I still feel I should be smaller. I can’t really give you an accurate day on 1800 (which is deficit) because I can use that in pizza and granola bars one day, and fruits and salad another. Really depends on what is available and time. My tdee is 3112. I’m a large woman who has lost almost 100lbs in the past year and I’m still trying to lose.
  • shans34
    Options
    I was consuming a bit less when I reached my plateau, but my day was a lot less active. I started this new job 3 weeks ago.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Is this all just visual perception or are your measurements actually bigger? I know that I do not lean out evenly across my body so at certain times areas appear bigger because other areas got smaller.
  • shans34
    Options
    It’s not based on measurement, just perception. However, I really see it, I just wonder if muscle gained at the gym flabbed out or if I gained muscle under fat and it just looks like it’s pushed out more. I dunno know.
  • rebeccajpc
    rebeccajpc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Foods with a lot of sugars & starch and processed food can result in bloating even if your calorie total is within your limit. Dairy can be a factor for many people, too. You might try eating mostly whole foods - meat, fish, eggs, nuts & seeds, whole grains, veggies, fruit - and less processed food like granola bars and pizza for a couple of weeks to see if that makes a difference for you. Good luck!
  • shans34
    Options
    I think I’m also going to try to limit my carbs, I bet that has something to do with it. I was reading someone’s comment on how they see a difference within a couple days of limiting carbs, that seems like a great idea.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My votes on you lost weight in some places making others look larger. I lost in my legs and ribs first making my belly look bigger. In reality it was always the same size. Also i notice before a whoosh i seem jiggly and flabby ( im feeling this right now it isnt fun lol). It passes once i whoosh and lose 3-5 pounds overnight
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    My votes on you lost weight in some places making others look larger. I lost in my legs and ribs first making my belly look bigger. In reality it was always the same size. Also i notice before a whoosh i seem jiggly and flabby ( im feeling this right now it isnt fun lol). It passes once i whoosh and lose 3-5 pounds overnight

Yeah, that! I've lost quite a few inches around my belly, but to me it looks fatter than ever because everything else is smaller in comparison.

OP, our perception of ourselves can be skewed so if you're not taking actual measurements then you can't be sure that you really do "look bigger". There could also be some water weight issues if you've started a more active job (like starting a new exercise routine), which should settle after a while.

Start taking measurements regularly, and also compare photos of yourself now and a couple of months ago if you have them. Sometimes I really need to see actual photographic proof of how much smaller I am now, so that might help you too!

As for limiting carbs, my understanding of that is that the swift difference most people see in weight and/or bloating is due to losing stored water weight, which comes back as soon as you start eating carbs again. So unless you intend to continue a low carb diet, don't look on that as a long term solution to your current issue. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    shans34 wrote: »
    It’s not based on measurement, just perception. However, I really see it, I just wonder if muscle gained at the gym flabbed out or if I gained muscle under fat and it just looks like it’s pushed out more. I dunno know.

When I started losing some parts like my chest looked bigger to me even though the measurement did not actually get bigger because my waist changed sized in relationship to that area. Your eyes/brain do not always perceive things as they are.

I'd take measurements and photos to help judge progress and just keep on with what you are doing. If it is water retention it will go away.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

This is true I weighed 350 at my heaviest and am now in the 250's but some days I look in the mirror and still see 350.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Is this based on your perception in the mirror or progress pics? We do not see ourselves accurately. Your memory of what you used to look like it not accurate, not for any of us
    Please post comparison pics for feedback.