Any recovering addicts?

Options
I'm struggling with a drug addiction and when I got sober I put on about 60lbs ( I needed to gain some just not that much) Now I've got to lose about 30lbs but I'm doing it in a healthy way and it feels great. I've found that working out has been a great stress reliever and has helped me stay sober. I'm going on 6 months of sobriety in October. Anyone else struggling with addiction?

Replies

• terribuchin
    terribuchin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One day at a time! Congratulations!
  • memegirl77
    memegirl77 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I used to self-medicate with alcohol, food, other substances and behaviors, and now also manage stress with exercise. Go us!

I know lots of people who like 12 Step programs but Smart Recovery and Rational Recovery were way more useful to me. Wanted to let people who might be struggling with or not interested in the 12 Step model that there are other options available.

I am in recovery and though the 12 step model works for me, different things work for different people. I am so glad other programs are available. I personally would probably benefit from adding other programs information.
  • JRSINAZ
    JRSINAZ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was a food, fat, sugar, alcohol addict. No more. Told myself "stop putting stuff in your mouth that doesn't belong there"
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    90 days clean and sober here. I have bi-polar disorder, which when not managed causes me to seek out any means to be able to function. As long as my meds are right, I don't want to use at all, so the two are tied together.

After having my disorder badly managed for the last year and a half and suffering through every single day, and using just to be able to do normal things, I finally had my meds adjusted and I am fit as a fiddle for the first time in a long time. I prefer to exercise and meditate than use drugs, but things happen.

I've been working on losing the weight I've gained in the last year, since using leaves me with little ability to want to eat properly, and no will to exercise.

I'm taking the next six months to get myself on a good track before hopefully being able to return to work, for the first time in a long time.

Congrats on the clean time! You're doing great. Exercise is a much healthier addiction, so that's where I'm putting my energy into.

• jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    90 days clean and sober here. I have bi-polar disorder, which when not managed causes me to seek out any means to be able to function. As long as my meds are right, I don't want to use at all, so the two are tied together.

After having my disorder badly managed for the last year and a half and suffering through every single day, and using just to be able to do normal things, I finally had my meds adjusted and I am fit as a fiddle for the first time in a long time. I prefer to exercise and meditate than use drugs, but things happen.

I've been working on losing the weight I've gained in the last year, since using leaves me with little ability to want to eat properly, and no will to exercise.

I'm taking the next six months to get myself on a good track before hopefully being able to return to work, for the first time in a long time.

Congrats on the clean time! You're doing great. Exercise is a much healthier addiction, so that's where I'm putting my energy into.

I'm also Bipolar.. prior to being diagnosed I used gambling as my coping skills. I have not placed a bet in over 10 years. The first doctor I went to had me on so many drugs I was so out of it all I did was eat and sleep gained nearly 100 lbs in 6 months. Thankfully with a good support network and a good doctor I am doing much better. God bless all of you..
  • Lpaige89
    Lpaige89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    just wanted to say hi, ill be clean and sober and nicotine free, 7 years in january... was a hardcore daily drinker/user, then when i went into recovery I gained a significant amount of weight. I was in a 12 step program for the first 5 and just realized it wasn't for me. Over the 7 years my weight has been up and down and as of recently a little more up.

I find that stress is a huge trigger for me to overeat, I'm a chemistry major and my courseload is quite heavy for school... I work with a coach who i do weekly checkins, she gave me my meal plan and workout plan so it helps keep me accountable.

Ive always worked out since I got clean but really have gotten into lifting in the past .. That and school has given me the most self confidence that I lacked in my using days.

Good luck with your journey!
  • GettingThere62
    GettingThere62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You guys just wow me. So strong so fabulous. Love you all ❤️