Vegan Recipes

Options
Mikki459
Mikki459 Posts: 58 Member
Hi I need help! I'm challenging myself to be vegan for 10 days, vegetarian for 10 days, and eventually just pescatarian for 10 days. But I'm planning on cutting out all dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant. I'm new to this and would love some HEALTHY veggie based vegan recipes. I'm 134 and want to slim down to 110 (I'm 5'1 and 23 years old) and then build up some muscle. Thanks!!

Replies

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lentil chili
    One lb bag of lentils, vegan chili seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer til done. It’s really good and you can’t use it like regular chili.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This is a recipe I made recently that ended up being vegan! http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/balsamic-chicken-and-mushrooms-54726
    I substituted fake chicken instead of real chicken (you could also probably use extra firm tofu, just drain and crisp it up beforehand), added onions to the mushroom sauce, and used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. Had it over quinoa with a side of steamed broccoli - it instantly became one of my favorite meals!
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    There are countless great recipes...to many to throw across in a forum. While I do eat meat, my wife is Pescatarian and more than 2/3's of all the meals I cook for the family are vegetarian or vegan.

Favourite cook books:
    Oh She Glows and Even More oh She Glows - great recipes and many fusion flavours.
    Moosewood Cookbook
    Fuscia Dunlop - Every Grain of Rice. Not vegetarian, but many dishes can be quickly altered...and we love Sichuan
    Any Indian, Thai or other South East Asian cookbook that has a heavy vegetarian focus

I have posted many pictures in the receipes pages here...if you can search by name, you can see some of them.

• candycanebec
    candycanebec Posts: 11 Member
    Options
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Lentil chili
    One lb bag of lentils, vegan chili seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer til done. It’s really good and you can’t use it like regular chili.

So I placed my 10lbs bag of dried lentils into a pot added a teaspoon of chili seasoning and turned on the stove. It did not come to boil at all. Instead it filled the kitchen with a lot of nasty smells of burning lentils and even more smoke. I tries to eat it but to me it was simply not edible.

See my point?? ;)

Even if Sunnybrooke99 had mentioned the amount of liquid, it likely wouldn't have been sufficient for the 10lb of lentils you used instead of the 1lb as directed to keep you from filling your kitchen with "a lot of nasty smells of burning lentils".
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand the reasons, either, because I've been overweight eating vegan as well as slim eating vegan, but my favorite breakfast now is 100 g amaranth seeds in 1 1/2 c water, bring to a boil, cover and boil on low for 20 minutes, stir in 1/2 c. unsweetened soy milk. I sometimes eat it unsweetened and sometimes with 1 T. maple syrup stirred in. Sometimes I also add 1 T. of ground flax seed. This is high in protein, very high in iron, and contains vitamin C, among other nutrients, and is also high fiber. BTW, you can find Ohsheglows recipes online--there's a website. Lots of great vegan recipe blogs if you just search for them.
  • QueenInTheNorthA
    QueenInTheNorthA Posts: 16 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Strawberry Muffins

3 cups of all purpose flour
    1 tablespoon of baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon of salt
    1 1/2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
    1 1/4 cups of soy or almond milk
    1/2 cup of applesauce
    1 cup of vegan butter/spread
    2 cups of diced fresh strawberries
    1 1/2 cups of sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners.

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Stir with your hand to be sure the ingredients are combined. In a 2-cup glass measure, combine the milk, applesauce, and melted butter. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture, pour the wet mixture into the well, and stir until just combined. There will be some lumps but don't overmix the batter! Add the strawberries and sugar and stir gently to combine.
Using a ice cream scoop, spoon the batter into the muffin cups to fill the liners. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean and the tops are nicely browned.

Refried Bean Tacos

Refried beans

2 tablespoons canola oil
    2 garlic cloves, peeled
    2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    salt to taste

Heat canola oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
    Cook garlic cloves in hot oil, turning once, until brown on both sides, 4 to 5 minutes.
    Smash garlic cloves in skillet with a fork.
    Stir pinto beans, cumin, chili powder, and salt into mashed garlic and cook until beans are thoroughly heated, about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
    Smash bean mixture with a potato masher to desired texture. Squeeze lime juice over smashed beans and stir until combined.

Tortillas
    1⁄8 teaspoon salt
    1⁄2 ounce water
    1⁄4 cup flour
    1⁄8 teaspoon baking powder

Mix the ingredients knead the dough and place a wet paper towel over it for 15 mins. Then break pieces apart and take a rolling pin to flatten and thin the dough out. Place in on a skillet with no oil or butter and flip it when it starts to lightly brown and feels firm but not hard or too crisp.

Yields 2 tortillas so double or triple up on the recipe

Good to finish off with any salsa onions peppers and tomatoes
  • ryypat
    ryypat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to congratulate you on trying the vegan lifestyle! It's the best thing you can do for your body, your planet, your animal friends, and your creativity in the kitchen.

I love these cookbooks:

Raw by Solla Eiriksdottir
    Plenty by Yotam Ottolenghi
    The Plant Power Way by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt
    Artisan Vegan Cheese by Miyoko Schinner
    Vegan Richa's Indian Kitchen by Richa Hingle
    Afro Vegan by Bryant Terry

And I love the Minimalist Baker blog.

Good luck on your journey!
  • Aniston_T
    Aniston_T Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Although I am not vegan, I have used lentils many times as a meat substitute and made lentil chili, bolognese, "meatloaf or "meatballs", lentil curry, lentil soup, and rice with lentils and onions. Lentils are very nutritious and have both fiber and protein. So if you like them I would definitely have them 2-3 times of the 10 days you are planning to go vegan.
  • HotMama115
    HotMama115 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/04/crunchy-cashew-thai-quinoa-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing/
    Oh my word! My 17 year old is vegan and I eat about80-90%vegan... this is my favorite recipe by far- make double!! It sounds kinda gross but all the flavors combined you will love it!!! Soups and stews with lentils are great for protein and great nutrients!
  • HotMama115
    HotMama115 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Aniston_T wrote: »
    Although I am not vegan, I have used lentils many times as a meat substitute and made lentil chili, bolognese, "meatloaf or "meatballs", lentil curry, lentil soup, and rice with lentils and onions. Lentils are very nutritious and have both fiber and protein. So if you like them I would definitely have them 2-3 times of the 10 days you are planning to go vegan.
    Lentil sloppy Joe's are better than the real sloppy Joe's too! They are amazing!!

• 01htc90
    01htc90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mikki459 wrote: »
    Hi I need help! I'm challenging myself to be vegan for 10 days, vegetarian for 10 days, and eventually just pescatarian for 10 days. But I'm planning on cutting out all dairy products because I'm lactose intolerant. I'm new to this and would love some HEALTHY veggie based vegan recipes. I'm 134 and want to slim down to 110 (I'm 5'1 and 23 years old) and then build up some muscle. Thanks!!

Lactose intolerance is one of the first signs of vitamins deficiency. Invest in some vitamins. Next, a vegan recipe: vegan pancakes. Aunt Jemima whole wheat blend pancake mix, baking powder, apple sauce, water. Use a couple cups of mix (1/2-3/4 cereal bowl full), sprinkle s smidge of extra baking powder on top and mix well. Add 2 heaping serving spoons "( the ones bigger than a regular spoon) of apple sauce, mix slightly. A ball will begin to form in the bowl. Add enough water to mix to make a thick batter (no watery stuff!) Pour the size you like into a hot frying pan sprayed with PAM. The bayter will tise them up to about 2/2" or more. Cook and flip and serve. Just add yhe calories of the mix and apple sauce portions you use & divide by how many you made for calorie count. Enjoy!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    HotMama115 wrote: »
    https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2013/04/crunchy-cashew-thai-quinoa-salad-with-ginger-peanut-dressing/
    Oh my word! My 17 year old is vegan and I eat about80-90%vegan... this is my favorite recipe by far- make double!! It sounds kinda gross but all the flavors combined you will love it!!! Soups and stews with lentils are great for protein and great nutrients!

This looks really good.
  • huntersvonnegut
    huntersvonnegut Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Lentil chili

So I placed my 10lbs bag of dried lentils into a pot added a teaspoon of chili seasoning and turned on the stove. It did not come to boil at all. Instead it filled the kitchen with a lot of nasty smells of burning lentils and even more smoke. I tries to eat it but to me it was simply not edible.

See my point?? ;)

Even if Sunnybrooke99 had mentioned the amount of liquid, it likely wouldn't have been sufficient for the 10lb of lentils you used instead of the 1lb as directed to keep you from filling your kitchen with "a lot of nasty smells of burning lentils".

And I see that you completely missed the point. :)

Your point is hidden under that bike helmet.
  • andfivesixseveneight
    andfivesixseveneight Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I like to make tacos with fajita style tempeh:
    Either corn or flour tortillas
    Salsa of your choice
    1 package tempeh, sliced thin
    1 onion sliced thin
    1 large green pepper, sliced thin
    Tiny bit of oil or pan spray for skillet

Sauté onion and pepper, set aside
    Sauté tempeh, add to onion and peppers
    Use as filling in tacos
    Top with salsa

This makes a lot, for one person 1/4 package of tempeh and 1/4 onion and pepper would be plenty.

• tuolon
    tuolon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just microwave a potato. Cut the potato in pieces and put beans, corn, green beans (you can use any veggies) and vegan gravy on the potato. Sometimes i use rice instead of a potato.
  • Kadoober
    Kadoober Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    These baked sweet potatoes with roasted chickpeas and a garlicky lemon tahini sauce have become a staple in my house. I use WAY more dill than called for in the sauce.

https://minimalistbaker.com/mediterranean-baked-sweet-potatoes/