OMG! The Diet Drink quiz

Options
Ok, I am so confused.

I hear diet drinks are bad, but then I hear they are ok in moderation.

I bought some poweradr zero yesterday and they are so good but I still crave bubbles.

Do you all think limiting my diet drinks to 2-3 a day "soda wise" are ok? I like the diet root beer and diet cherry 7 up and Sierra Mist Free......

I have only had 2 in two weeks,

I had a Sierra Mist Free and a diet Root Beer.

You just hear so much.....

Replies

• elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Ok, I am so confused.

I hear diet drinks are bad, but then I hear they are ok in moderation.

I bought some poweradr zero yesterday and they are so good but I still crave bubbles.

Do you all think limiting my diet drinks to 2-3 a day "soda wise" are ok? I like the diet root beer and diet cherry 7 up and Sierra Mist Free......

I have only had 2 in two weeks,

I had a Sierra Mist Free and a diet Root Beer.

You just hear so much.....
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I would shoot for only 8oz a day....They arent super for you but if you stick to 8oz you will be fine...anymore and there will be no way to get your water in for the day.
  • hamilton_mom
    Options
    I would also shoot for just one serving of soda...even diet a day. I also crave bubbles! I thought I was the only one!!!! ;0) I find some 0 Cal LOW sodium flavored water with bubbles....perrier and there are lots of others out there now. But I get the satisfaction from the bubbles and I don't miss the soda nearly as much.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I would also shoot for just one serving of soda...even diet a day. I also crave bubbles! I thought I was the only one!!!! ;0) I find some 0 Cal LOW sodium flavored water with bubbles....perrier and there are lots of others out there now. But I get the satisfaction from the bubbles and I don't miss the soda nearly as much.

yep, I love the soda water blueberry and raspberry........
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    Hey...I love the diet pepsi thing, but i have heard from mulitple sources that drinking diet sodas/drinks etc can actually make you crave sweets.

I cut them out except maybe once a week or so when I just HAVE to have one and it really does make a difference in how much I want sweets...its weird.
  • Wynnie
    Wynnie Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I have also heard that - that diet drinks actually stimulate sweet food cravings.

I'm currently on a "natural eating" craze. I've been able to stick with it nearly 4 months and I do have to say I feel soooo much better, What I do for "fizz" is to pair some natural sparkling water with a really nice juice that I like (pomegranite, white grape, etc). Tastes great - and fizzes! :drinker:
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    If it's really the bubbles you want, make your own! Just mix some fruit juice (preferably 100%) with some soda water. When I travelled to Europe for work, I fell in love with apple soda! :drinker:
  • shar140
    Options
    haha sorry Wynnie - we posted at the same time!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it is the artificial sweeteners? I have switched from Pepsi to Diet Dr. Pepper and finally to just Diet Lipton Green Tea. I started craving the Diet Green Tea like I used to Crave Regular Pepsi. I don't want to give up the Green Tea but...???:ohwell:
  • tazzy
    tazzy Posts: 197
    Options
    Fruit juice is bad huge intakes of sugar huge insulin spike not good for the body one glass of orange is like 8 oranges this is not going to help lose weight as Jillian michaels says dont drink your calories it should be water water water.

If you crave bubbles drink sparkling water you get addicted to things in diet drinks give them up for a month and then have a binge I promise that the day after your binge you will crave your diet soda it is healthier to drink normal soda and count it into your calories instead of drinking chemicals which is all diet soda is its linked to causing obesity and inbalances bio chemically which can make weight loss harder than it is.

Stick with water at least you now thats not going to cause cancer or make you struggle with your weight loss.

Thats just my take on the subject and I did give up diet pepsi and then drank just one can and I felt crappy the next day like I had been on vodkas and I really craved more pepsi so I did test the addiction theory and now I stay well clear and my kids only drink water. Sparkling is great for the bubbles though if thats what you really crave. but it could be the soda making you want more you need to quit for a couple of weeks to get it totally out of your system and break the cycle.
  • shar140
    Options
    Tazzy - I don't think pure fruit juice is any worse than the regular soda that you suggested - the regular soda will still have High Fructose Corn Syrup, along with many other chemicals.
  • mmackie
    Options
    No matter how you look at it-they're empty calories.

Any kind of artificial sweetener gives me a horrible migraine-so I steer clear of it all. It's not good for you and your body does not know how to metabolize the artificial sugar-its actually better to drink regular and just count the calories, at least your body knows what to do with the sugar.

I say its better to just drink water and if you crave the bubbles, drink some kink of carbonated water.

But that's just me and I so against "diet" things...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Any kind of artificial sweetener gives me a horrible migraine-so I steer clear of it all. It's not good for you and your body does not know how to metabolize the artificial sugar-its actually better to drink regular and just count the calories, at least your body knows what to do with the sugar.

I say its better to just drink water and if you crave the bubbles, drink some kink of carbonated water.

I agree I'm not a diet drink girl, I myself try to stay away from the artifical stuff...

Diet pop does pretty bad things to your teeth that's for sure, so even thinking on that...imagine what it's doing to the rest of our bodies. Someone mentioned giving it up for awhile and then picking it back up, many on here have shared it's simply to sweet then to even think of drinking. Clean eating can really change our taste buds, it's like it bring them back to normal and we no longer crave the fillers, fake sugars, chemicals etc. from fast food, pop, and other junk foods.

It's amazing but it really does change what you enjoy when you clean eat for a bit, doesn't even take very long before next thing you know you simply have no desire to eat the more sugary foods.

Hope you're successful in your decision to cut back or cut out the fake sugars.:flowerforyou:

I too truly believe it DOES lend to even more sweet cravings! :ohwell:

FC:heart:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    you want bubbles? Drink some of the bottled water that is bubbly... like perrier

drink it with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime for some flavour
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Fruit juice is bad huge intakes of sugar huge insulin spike not good for the body one glass of orange is like 8 oranges this is not going to help lose weight as Jillian michaels says dont drink your calories it should be water water water.

If you crave bubbles drink sparkling water you get addicted to things in diet drinks give them up for a month and then have a binge I promise that the day after your binge you will crave your diet soda it is healthier to drink normal soda and count it into your calories instead of drinking chemicals which is all diet soda is its linked to causing obesity and inbalances bio chemically which can make weight loss harder than it is.

Stick with water at least you now thats not going to cause cancer or make you struggle with your weight loss.

Thats just my take on the subject and I did give up diet pepsi and then drank just one can and I felt crappy the next day like I had been on vodkas and I really craved more pepsi so I did test the addiction theory and now I stay well clear and my kids only drink water. Sparkling is great for the bubbles though if thats what you really crave. but it could be the soda making you want more you need to quit for a couple of weeks to get it totally out of your system and break the cycle.

Oh I absolutely agree, drinking to much fruit juice even with it being pure juice is perhaps NOT the best choice for our bodies if we can help it. It really can give some serious blood sugar spikes very quickly. Whether a person is diabetic or not blood sugars racing up and down can make our cravings out of control.:ohwell: :sad:

I've learned I'd much rather crunch on an apple or peel an orange and enjoy that with some almonds than drink my cals away. Pop has a tons of sugar, and fruit juice has a ton of natural sugars, I don't know that the two could really be compared in my mind, but that's only my thoughts. If one had to pick and they HAD to have one other I imagine the best would be something more natural like OJ but I think 1/2 cup serving which is a typical OJ serving on sites is prety high in sugars/carbs.

WIshing you well in your decision to cut back:drinker: <~~~water!:laugh: :tongue:

• Fitness_Chick
    Options
    you want bubbles? Drink some of the bottled water that is bubbly... like perrier

drink it with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime for some flavour
    mmm:tongue:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    There's so much passion over the subject of what you can drink. Personally, I say, do what works for you but do it well educated. I used to drink 5 or 6 a day and I did that for DECADES.

There are many diet sodas that do not have caffiene, very little sodium, and have various artificial sweeteners. If you don't have an allergy, sensitivity, or personal objection to artificial sweeteners than you can drink as many as you like, within reason. I find that a diet soda actually curbs my appetite for sweets and sugar, medically I have no issues, and haven't had a cavity since the second grade. -The only objection I have is that they can inhibit your body's ability to absorb calcium. For this reason, I drink them, but in moderation. I usually have no more than one a day.

However, I have friends and family members that drink almost a dozen a day. They do not gain any weight, they do not get headaches or feel bad, they do not have a problem with their weight, (in fact most are on the slim side) and in recent doctor's visits they do not have any problems with their kidneys or with bone loss. Honestly, it's all about personal genetics, your own philosophy and what works for you.

Just my opinion.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I limited myself to 1 diet soda a week, because I got to the point where I was having one everyday and i just wasn't happy with that. That said, if fyou have been drinking 5 a day, cutting back to 2 a day is really pretty good. Maybe with time you'll cut back even further. Diet pop isn't good for you, everyone knows that, but neither are a lot of the things we eat/drink. It's your body so it's completely your decision. SOme swear off diet pop, others swear by it! DO what is right for you.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

I agree I'm not a diet drink girl, I myself try to stay away from the artifical stuff...

Diet pop does pretty bad things to your teeth that's for sure, so even thinking on that...imagine what it's doing to the rest of our bodies. Someone mentioned giving it up for awhile and then picking it back up, many on here have shared it's simply to sweet then to even think of drinking. Clean eating can really change our taste buds, it's like it bring them back to normal and we no longer crave the fillers, fake sugars, chemicals etc. from fast food, pop, and other junk foods.

It's amazing but it really does change what you enjoy when you clean eat for a bit, doesn't even take very long before next thing you know you simply have no desire to eat the more sugary foods.

Hope you're successful in your decision to cut back or cut out the fake sugars.:flowerforyou:

My dentist told me at my last visit that diet pop is NOT bad for your teeth. regular is. It's the sugar itself that rots your teeth (it mixes with bacteria, allowing the bacteria to grow and multiply, causing tooth decay). Diet pop is not good for you by any means but as far as I know it's not bad for your teeth.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

My dentist told me at my last visit that diet pop is NOT bad for your teeth. regular is. It's the sugar itself that rots your teeth (it mixes with bacteria, allowing the bacteria to grow and multiply, causing tooth decay). Diet pop is not good for you by any means but as far as I know it's not bad for your teeth.
    It gets confusing at times doesn't it, when we're all told various things about the same product, method or whatever have you.:ohwell:

Oh well, I don't drink it but once in a very blue moon so I don't think to much on it, was just giving my thoughts on the matter here on what I'd learned:happy: