Really Discouraged Newby

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this healthy eating thing. I have gained 40lbs since January and no amount of working out seems to be helping. I'm hoping to find some encouraging friends that have found success. Please feel free to add me.

Replies

• claricef8705
    claricef8705 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I will give that a shot and see where the problems are. I've also been told by my doctor that my hormones are causing me to gain more quickly than I'm used to. Soo discouraged. I appreciate any and all suggestions!
  • claricef8705
    claricef8705 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your time and input
  • okjimmied
    okjimmied Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Looking for support here is a great step. Most of us know what to do. It's the doing it that remains the problem. I'm starting again today and this time I'm going to not go it alone but find support.

From past efforts, I know that if I actively engage in doing something that motivates my efforts (example: coming online and reading other people's posts) every day, I tend to stay focused on my efforts. Just trying to eat better or exercise is not enough...at least for me. I can do that route, but it always leads to compromise. And as soon as I start compromising with myself, I'm sunk.

Keep coming here Clarice. And feel free to add me as a friend.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I found success when I started being truthful with my diet. I bought a food scale, started to weigh everything I consume and log everything with correct entries (no homemade or generic). I started to move more. Gradually the weight came off and I've been successful since. When I start to gain I know it's because I am not doing one of the above. Feel free to add for support!
  • times60
    times60 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    you can add me. I am on MFP every day
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ddgallant wrote: »
    WHAT you eat is more important that HOW MUCH you eat. Your diet should consist of a majority of vegetables. I mean real vegetables that you buy in the produce section or frozen. The only ingredient on the bag should be the vegetable. Broccoli, lettuce, spinach, asparagus, Brussel sprouts, zucchini, cauliflower, mushrooms, onions. Eat them raw, eat them cooked -- Just eat a lot of them -- they fill you up and make you healthy. Limit rice, pasty, etc. If you aren't a vegetarian, eat lean chicken, turkey, fish. Anything that comes in a box already made is BAD. They remove the fiber and process it with sugar and salt. Our grocery stores are full of "healthy" labeled food that is poison and will make you sick - Healthy Choice is a prime example of highly processed garbage with a marketing gimmick. YOU CAN DO IT! Don't give up! Real veggies are your friend!

We are confusing the eat healthy with weight loss here. I do eat clean. No processed foods. But did that alone make me skinny? No. Do I believe I am healthier for it sure. And I hate when people make fats evil....no food is evil. Variety if your friend. Cutting fat from food make it taste like crap and it won't make you skinny. Not eating processed food doesn't make you skinny. Cutting cals does. I personally do not eat processed foods but I do it to improve my health not my weight. I am allergic to a lot of crap that's in processed foods.I also because of my allergies don't eat many veggies ( which I would never say are unhealthy).....the high fat diet hasn't made me fatter. POINT IS..whether you eat carbs or fat..eat what you like...w/e you like... just stay at a calorie deficit. And for the love of food...don't cut out a food because someone told you that's what made you fat....we are omnivores and if you want eat bread do it...eat fat do it..eat an apple do it.....eat the steak do it...just watch your cals for the day ;)
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My recommendation? Start logging your intake. Log everything, every day, for at least a week, including at least one weekend. If you have a kitchen scale, use it, if not use measuring cups and spoons. Don't worry about losing weight for this week, you want a realistic idea of what you are actually eating and drinking. If you eat out alot, most chains will have nutritional info on line, family owned restaurants, you'll likely have to guess. Once you have that info, look at what you actually eat. For example, if you asked me before I did this, I would have told you I ate lots of fruit and veg. I bought lots of fruit and veg. I served lots of fruit and veg. Eating it? Not so much. I set my calories at a deficit of 1 lb a week (I weighed 254 when I started, if you only have 40 to lose, 1/2 lb a week might be better for you) and resolved to add 1-2 servings of fruit/veg to every meal. Berries with my cereal, sliced tomatoes with my sandwich, non lettuce salad with my dinner. (I like lettuce, lettuce does not like me, so this took a little experimentation.) I'm not much of a meat eater, so was kinda low on protein, and I was low on Omega 3 and 6 fats. I started eating more nuts, more salmon, and eggs, yogurt and cottage cheese. I do count calories, but don't obsess about it. If I want ice cream, I have ice cream. If I want beer, I have beer. If I want to go out to dinner, I go out to dinner. I've lost 25 lbs since March and I'm confident I'll continue to lose, while enjoying my life and my food.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Questions:

(1) What does "healthy eating" entail to you? (This may seem obvious, but in my experience, there are as many definitions as there are people.)

(2) What's changed since January? Your hormones? Stress level? Did you change jobs, move or lose someone or something close to you? Are you sleeping okay? (All these things affect weight loss/gain.)

(3) What does "working out" entail for you? Walking? Running? Weightlifting? Swimming? As others have said, exercise can help you get into a caloric deficit for weight loss, but there's no way to outrun a bad diet.

I'm down 42 lbs and counting, and I've been maintaining the first 40 lb loss for 3 years.

As far as your plan goes, others have provided solid advice. Weigh all solids and liquids on a food scale and log your intake accurately. That is the only way weight loss really works. Good luck.
  • sazzler118
    sazzler118 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm following this thread with interest! Lots of good (although conflicting) advice! I'm also starting today...I have done various diets, most recently The Body Coach 90 day plan however, nothing feels sustainable. I'm hoping that MFP will help me to understand what I do and don't need but allow me to live my life. I exercise quite regularly and am beginning to enjoy it so I want to encourage myself to do more using this app and my Fitbit.
    Good luck! I'm looking for buddies to give me a kick up the backside so feel free to add me x
  • VassilKaramanov
    VassilKaramanov Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Hey! I’d be glad to support YOU reading this! :)
    Also for added motivation, [edited by mods] You ARE UNSTOPPABLE!