Need a life preserver

Options
So about three years ago I got tired of being so overweight and unhealthy. As a kid and young adult I was a top athlete. But life happens, and I ended up 5' 2" and 265lbs. I worked with a nutritionist and a trainer and got down to 200lbs (I'm 38 now) in a year (which is better than it sounds. I was a powerlifter once upon a time, so the bmi is a little skewed) Since then my weight has gradually increased and I'm a little over 220. I'm trying so hard to get the good habits I developed back where they should be, but something is off. Injuries are impacting exercise, and I just don't have the same drive I did, but I still have the desire. I'll take all the support I can get.

Replies

• Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Desire and discipline is all you need. Add me if you like. I am here everyday. I deal with injuries all the time.
  • kfly44244
    kfly44244 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will. Maintaining discipline for a lifetime is, and probably always will be my greatest challenge.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I am at this time close to slim, and have for most of my life been quite obese. While obese, I didn't need motivation, desire, or discipline to be obese. All I needed was habits of eating too much.
    While becoming and being close to slim, I honestly can't identify a shred of motivation, desire, or discipline that has caused me to become close to slim. All I've needed have been habits of not eating too much. Yes, I've had days of eating too much, and too many of those in recent months, but those days are very unlike my typical days were when I was blithely obese.

Because of my experience, I'm going to recommend to you that you focus on your worst habits and find ways to move away from them. It has been easy for me to move away from the worst of my worst habits, and not really hard to develop a handful of good habits. The good habits include "weigh the food", "log the food", and ... well, there aren't any more.
  • lb4713
    lb4713 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I thought Id give fitness pal a try - first post in community I see was yours. I'm a lot older(64) than you but my weight is almost the same 223 pounds.
    So I'll wish us both success.
    I've decided to go for simple changes - replace coffee and tea with water and herbal teas, eat protein at each meal, try to make each meal protein, fibrous carb and non-fibrous carb and reduce portion size.
    Be more active.
    I'm amazed at just how many calories are in what I've eaten today!
    No wonder I'm the size I am.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

This is my 3rd time here on MFP. Something clicked 30 days ago. I know the holidays are coming, and I want to look great in the holiday pictures. I usually avoid looking in the mirror, thus avoiding seeing how large I had become. While siting in my hairstylist's chair she turned it around and I accidentally saw the waist area---yikes!

That was a Saturday. That following Monday I came back here. I was very thin most of my adult life, always active, till I was with child. Boy, did I blow up like an elephant. Stress of raising a family and working FT, I just didn't care how much I ate. I did take 45 lbs off 14 years ago with WW, but I didn't monitor or learn how to do maintenance and now I gained the 45 plus another 45. NO MORE.

So I'm in this to win it for LIFE!

I overindulged this past weekend. But I logged it and now it's Monday and I'm back on track. I have to learn to get back up when I fall down. It's going to happen but less and less.

Right now for you, just log what you are eating everyday for the next 10 days. Embrace that habit. When you see how much calories you are eating in excess make a plan to change one of your meals to be calorie friendly. Take it slow, but constant.

• SolotoCEO
    SolotoCEO Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    It's a lifetime, lifestyle, change and it's not easy. You are lucky to have the muscles to help burn the fat - make sure you eat enough protein to keep them. I'd go back on the same regime that got me down to 200. You did it once - you can do it again!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I find it's much easier to find a life preserver as a Large than it was as a 3xl.

Wait, not what this thread is about?