Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options
ladyhusker39
ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
This is what my doctor told me today is the reason people are overweight/obese today. It's a very commonly used explanation on these boards so I wanted to open it up for discussion.

He said that we (I assume he meant Americans, but I guess it could be expanded to Westerners in general) eat about the same number of calories our parents and grandparents used to, but now everything has sugar and unrefined carbohydrates in it. And that's why we're so fat now.

The only sources he cited were a couple of documentaries I eventually got him to admit were the ones on Netflix.

I think this is a load of hooey and had to try hard to keep a straight face and a closed mouth.

But what do you think?

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    It seems like that colored graph is all kinds of wonky to me. Average daily for all Americans? Kids and adults? Must be.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I go through a LOT of sugar feeding the wild hummingbirds. Like between a cup and a half to three cups per week. I don't use granulated cane sugar for anything at home besides that.

I don't see hummingbirds represented.

I do agree that grains are a problem in my life. They're so easy and so high cal, and they make me want moar.

It is from USDA per capita data sets, so that includes all Americans:
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/food-availability-per-capita-data-system/loss-adjusted-food-availability-documentation/
    They didn't normalize for hummingbird feeding, but this is probably some of the most accurate data you are going to be able to compile on the subject at a national level.
  • kevinkehres7
    kevinkehres7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Get a different doctor.