Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

It's All Sugar's Fault

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How did you keep your carb intake the same while cutting out all sugars? Carbs are sugar?

All sugars are carbs, but not all carbs are sugars. You can easily decrease sugar but increase carbs (starches/fiber).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    A Granny Smith apple is pretty filling (for me).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    hale03071 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    People are eating more processed, boxed, packaged foods, not to mention eating out more than ever. Yes, sugar and grains are super calorie dense in comparison to the nutrition they provide. Cut out sugar and grains and I wonder how hard it would be to stick to staying under your deficit (or maintenance if you are at that stage)....I know I have a really hard time eating even 1300 calories a day since I stopped eating sugar and grains.

Carbs are not calorie dense... they are 4 calories per gram. Fats are calorie dense. The issue is when it comes to satiate. Some aren't satiated by carbs which can lead to over consumption. Similarly, I could eat fats all day long without being satiated. I have literally eaten blocks of cheese, which is why I don't keep a lot of fats in my house when I am working on losing weight. And I only consume fats when I eat proteins.

They are calorie dense for the NUTRITION and satiety that they provide. I am no way saying a no carb/no sugar diet is the only way to lose weight. I am saying, in my opinion and from my own experience in the last year and the experience of those I know who also eat this way (limited carbs--not true keto, but low carb, less than 50 net a day) that I eat barely 1300 calories a day and I am not often hungry, I do not crave high calorie, nutrient deficient, low satiety type foods that often derail many "dieters." I don't have the need to binge eat anymore, a cycle that was keeping me obese. I don't understand why people get their panties in a twist when low carb is brought up. Its calories in calories out, but you also have to factor in what is sustainable. Many find that eating low carb is sustainable because it is easy to follow, you feel satiated when you eat by keeping your insulin levels fairly stable. But hey-to each their own, there is so much more in this world to worry about than to argue. I've lost 60 lbs with minimal effort, eating the way I do, it works for me.

There are a lot of highly nutritious sources of carbohydrates...potatoes and sweet potatoes and other root vegetables are nutritional powerhouses...lentils, beans, oats, etc, etc, etc...I find these things quite filling. Things like white rice and pasta provide me with quick recovery from my rides...

Yesterday I was really craving some cheese...an old nemesis of mine...I plowed through about 500 calories of cheddar in about 2 minutes...no way I could do that with a potato or lentils or something...I could have kept going to but decided to get up and go do something.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are bursting with good stuff and I find them really filling. I've no issue with low carb, I lean towards lower moderate when losing but it's the blanket assertions about how useless starches are for everyone or even most that grinds my gears.

Calorie for calorie potatoes fill me up more than anything else I can think of. And for a long time I believed that I needed to stay away from starchy food's.

What a crock.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    People are eating more processed, boxed, packaged foods, not to mention eating out more than ever. Yes, sugar and grains are super calorie dense in comparison to the nutrition they provide. Cut out sugar and grains and I wonder how hard it would be to stick to staying under your deficit (or maintenance if you are at that stage)....I know I have a really hard time eating even 1300 calories a day since I stopped eating sugar and grains.

Carbs are not calorie dense... they are 4 calories per gram. Fats are calorie dense. The issue is when it comes to satiate. Some aren't satiated by carbs which can lead to over consumption. Similarly, I could eat fats all day long without being satiated. I have literally eaten blocks of cheese, which is why I don't keep a lot of fats in my house when I am working on losing weight. And I only consume fats when I eat proteins.

They are calorie dense for the NUTRITION and satiety that they provide. I am no way saying a no carb/no sugar diet is the only way to lose weight. I am saying, in my opinion and from my own experience in the last year and the experience of those I know who also eat this way (limited carbs--not true keto, but low carb, less than 50 net a day) that I eat barely 1300 calories a day and I am not often hungry, I do not crave high calorie, nutrient deficient, low satiety type foods that often derail many "dieters." I don't have the need to binge eat anymore, a cycle that was keeping me obese. I don't understand why people get their panties in a twist when low carb is brought up. Its calories in calories out, but you also have to factor in what is sustainable. Many find that eating low carb is sustainable because it is easy to follow, you feel satiated when you eat by keeping your insulin levels fairly stable. But hey-to each their own, there is so much more in this world to worry about than to argue. I've lost 60 lbs with minimal effort, eating the way I do, it works for me.

No one was complaining about low carb ,but i was correcting your statement. I understand that satiety can range by person, but i can bet more people are satiated by fuits and veggies over oils and butters. Not even including the most dense sourcea of micronutrients are plant based.

All foods have their place, especially when it comes to complaince and adherence. And a total diet is what is important. If you like low carb, but all means. But comapring low carb cs high carb, the volume will be much greater with high carb.
  • psuLemon
    edited October 2017
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How did you keep your carb intake the same while cutting out all sugars? Carbs are sugar?

All sugars are carbs, but not all carbs are sugars. You can easily decrease sugar but increase carbs (starches/fiber).

But starches turn into sugar in your body so the mysterious love handle reducing effect would seem to be stymied by the starches too. I mean, if it's real.

I recognize how they metabolize... but that wasnt the question lol.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Fats don't really carry much nutrition either.
  • Ainadan
    Ainadan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think the problem is that we can overeat whatever is our weakness. So, for instance, I like sweet tea and icecream. Well, I can have all the sweet tea and icecream I want, and no one is stopping me, and neither is my paycheck. Some people have a weakness for chips. They can eat all the chips they want and no one will stop them. Same thing with cheese, and other fats.

We live in a world that encourages our overindulgence.

How does that relate to sugar? Maybe more people are prone to sugar being their weakness than other things.