How do you log your eggs?

Options
Hi I was wondering how you guys log your eggs? I scan my egg box and it says 60 cals per egg. Yet some eggs are much larger than others. I want to be as accurate as possible. 60 cals per egg regardless of egg size doesn't seem very accurate.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I go by size - I buy and log jumbo eggs, yes some are heavier than others, but it evens out in the end.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    i weigh them...
  • Mad_Goose
    Mad_Goose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i weigh them...

I looked for eggs in grams on the database. Egg whites per 100 grams was the only thing I could find. Apart from some other generic entry. But it didn't specify weather it was raw or cooked per 100 grams. What do you use in the data base?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mad_Goose wrote: »
    i weigh them...

I looked for eggs in grams on the database. Egg whites per 100 grams was the only thing I could find. Apart from some other generic entry. But it didn't specify weather it was raw or cooked per 100 grams. What do you use in the data base?

Look for egg (raw)... You can probably change the serving size to 1g.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I use whole large egg usda. Then it has a drop down box and I can go by grams.
  • Mad_Goose
    Mad_Goose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. You we really helpful. :smile:
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I go by package info and work on the assumption that 1.) differences between individual eggs wouldn't be that large on an absolute basis (the difference between a large and jumbo egg is only 20 calories), and 2.) things will work out over the long-term (some eggs will be larger and some smaller such that they'll average out to the package info).
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    USDA entry for whole eggs, raw. Weigh them. Cook them how I want. adding the butter or whatever. Weigh the left over shell then subtract amount from original gram total before cooking. There is also a USDA for eggs hardboiled. Same concept. Shells dont weigh that much so if I'm in a hurry I dont minus them off.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    If you get supermarket eggs the sizes are quite standardized, so you can log a large egg (or whatever size the package says). If yours are various sizes, learn what a large egg looks like and log them as jumbo if larger, medium if smaller or some such.

I get farm eggs that vary in size and because I usually make omelets I weigh them (when I'm logging), because I am weighing the feta I add and the vegetables and so on anyway. If I do a fried egg I just estimate which I am good at by now.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Here's a link to the USDA entry for whole eggs. I made an entry in My Foods for eggs that is exactly as it's listed in the USDA database. I weight the egg without the shell and record the raw weight.
    https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/112?fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=50&offset=&sort=default&order=asc&qlookup=eggs&ds=Standard+Reference&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I weigh them in grams depending on what size eggs I buy. A large egg isn't going to way the same as a jumbo egg, for example. Usually, it's a 20g difference between the two.

Weigh them after you crack the shells, obviously. :P
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I go with what it says on the box. I usually buy large eggs and the box says 72 cals each. Eggs are one of the things I don't bother weighing, as they go straight from shell into a hot pan (and I'm not dirtying a bowl to weigh them!).
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I log my farm fresh ones as jumbo. I've noticed that the yolks seem pretty uniform and any 'extra' is usually white and the calories from a bit of extra white doesn't seem important to me to track.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I always just logged what was on the carton...never a problem...it's not like the calorie difference is going to be particularly material.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I once had a jumbo egg with 2 yolks in it... I didn't log it. :laugh: Had no idea how to log it.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    The difference between large and extra large is like 10 calories.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    MichSmish wrote: »
    I log them as large @ 70 cals/egg

That part
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I weigh them and use the USDA entry.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    I go with what it says on the box. I usually buy large eggs and the box says 72 cals each. Eggs are one of the things I don't bother weighing, as they go straight from shell into a hot pan (and I'm not dirtying a bowl to weigh them!).

Do you have a scale with a tare function? If so, you can put eggs on scale, tare, crack in pan, put shells on scale, note weight. I weigh them, and I'd say they average 50g but not uncommonly are 10% more or less. As others pointed out, not a huge calorie variance if you're having one or two.