Not losing, any ideas based on my diary?

Options
Hi there,

I wondered if some kind soul would have the time to check out my diary and tell me where I am going wrong. I barely lost anything and what I have lost I’ve just stepped in the scale for a weekly weigh in and it’s back on (bar a couple of pounds).

I know my lunch is almost precisely the same everyday, but it’s my favourite! And at 6am before work it’s quick and easy to make. I don’t get in the door until 9pm (12 hour shifts) so it’s usually a quick dinner. (Ps. I also know I need to kick my energy drink habit in the mid morning)

I don’t eat breakfast because I’ve always hated it. Makes me feel ill so early in the morning.

Absolutely everything is logged and weighed, I have no time for snacking so my calories are correct. Starting to worry there’s something wrong to be honest. Also the couple of empty days are because I was away with no internet signal, but I manually did it on paper and was under.

Any ideas would be great! Thank you guys :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open.

what are your stats and how long has it been since you lost weight?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You'll have to set your diary to public to let people see it. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

You need to make sure the entries you pick, have correct nutritional values, and that you weigh out the amount you actually eat.

But meal timing and food choices aren't really important for weightloss. It could be even more useful to know
    Your height and weight
    Your calorie goal
    How much you've actually lost, in what timeframe
    Whether you've recently started or increased intensity of exercise
    How often you weigh yourself, and whether it's on the same scale, with same clothes, same time of day.

Don't assume something is wrong with you. People will always lose weight when in a calorie deficit. If you don't lose weight, it's because you're not in a calorie deficit, not because you're ill.
  • bluespark278
    bluespark278 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open.

what are your stats and how long has it been since you lost weight?

Oh! I had changed it before posting.. wonder if it takes a wee minute to actually take affect? I’ll try again! Thanks for letting me know. A week ago I lost weight, but I went about 2 weeks with nothing... now it’s back on. Most of my weight loss is from a year or so ago, I lost a stone and a half then just maintained for a year (somehow!) without trying. But I need to lose more.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    How long has it been since your last loss? Are you anywhere near ovulation or period? How much a week are you expecting to lose, and what are your stats?
  • bluespark278
    Options
    How long has it been since your last loss? Are you anywhere near ovulation or period? How much a week are you expecting to lose, and what are your stats?

It’s been nearly a month now and aside from odd up and down I’ve really not gone anywhere. When I did finally lose it went back on the next day, I left it a week hoping it was just a natural up/down... but it’s still there today. I’m close to ovulation that I know, but I have tracked that religiously for a long time and it’s never really affected my weight, yes right before my period I always put on 2lb, but that’s definitely not right now.

My diary should now be public, I changed it but didn’t confirm the change before. Oops!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You're under eating. Entirely possible that it's cortisol induced water retention from stressing your body, and that's masking fat loss, particularly if that low cal intake has been going on for awhile. Try hitting your calorie goal, including at least half your exercise calories, consistently. You need to fuel your body properly.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

It’s been nearly a month now and aside from odd up and down I’ve really not gone anywhere. When I did finally lose it went back on the next day, I left it a week hoping it was just a natural up/down... but it’s still there today. I’m close to ovulation that I know, but I have tracked that religiously for a long time and it’s never really affected my weight, yes right before my period I always put on 2lb, but that’s definitely not right now.

My diary should now be public, I changed it but didn’t confirm the change before. Oops!

you dont eat any fruit or veg? or you don't log it?
  • joaomelo1973
    joaomelo1973 Posts: 11 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    My 0.02$ opinion.

Seems that you could also pay atention in the % of carbs vs protein. I would increase the amount of protein, it also helps feeling more "full".

Seems also you re eating less that what you should. in the long run, that´s not good.

And Water, water, water, as we all know.

• Nony_Mouse
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Wait, looking back further, you've only just restarted?

Basically, weight loss isn't linear, if you are only weighing weekly, you could very easily miss losses in amongst natural fluctuations. I also note now that you said in your most recent weigh in you'd regained most of what you lost 'bar a couple of pounds'. Again, that increase could easily be water weight, and if you don't have much to lose 'a couple of pounds' in three weeks is actually pretty good going. You may need to just lower your expectations. Getting weight off when you're already at a healthy weight is slow going, because our bodies really, really want us to hold onto those reserves (damn you, evolution!!).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

The bold..not eating enough will do this. Constantly trying to be 'under' MFP goal is not the way this works. You still need to eat adequate amount of calories to lose weight and handle your day to day activities and exercise.

• bluespark278
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    You're under eating. Entirely possible that it's cortisol induced water retention from stressing your body, and that's masking fat loss, particularly if that low cal intake has been going on for awhile. Try hitting your calorie goal, including at least half your exercise calories, consistently. You need to fuel your body properly.

Thank you!

you dont eat any fruit or veg? or you don't log it?

I do eat it, admittedly whisky I mentally add it in and make sure I’m not exceeding I’m bad for adding that. So I lied when I said I log everything I suppose. I’m stuck in the “all fruit and veg is free” mentality! Which obviously is wrong. I’ll take that on board and log it.
    My 0.02$ opinion.

Seems that you could also pay atention in the % of carbs vs protein. I would increase the amount of protein, it also helps feeling more "full".

Seems also you re eating less that what you should. in the long run, that´s not good.

And Water, water, water, as we all know.

You’re correct, my carb consumption could certainly do with dropping, will up my protein! I honestly eat as much as I’m able with the time constraints of my job. I’ll try force breakfast in and up it a bit.
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Wait, looking back further, you've only just restarted?

Basically, weight loss isn't linear, if you are only weighing weekly, you could very easily miss losses in amongst natural fluctuations. I also note now that you said in your most recent weigh in you'd regained most of what you lost 'bar a couple of pounds'. Again, that increase could easily be water weight, and if you don't have much to lose 'a couple of pounds' in three weeks is actually pretty good going. You may need to just lower your expectations. Getting weight off when you're already at a healthy weight is slow going, because our bodies really, really want us to hold onto those reserves (damn you, evolution!!).

I have just restarted. I was using a different app for a couple of months but ultimately returned to MFP. I have a fair bit to lose. I’m just under 200lb so I’m certainly not at an ideal weight. In the past my weight loss certainly hadn’t been linear but definitely faster and more consistent than this. Hence the worry!

Totally appreciate all your Input, thank you guys :) taken a lot on board!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    if you're nearly 200lbs why do you think you only need to eat 900 cals to lose weight? if you were truly only eating that amount the weight would be falling off you.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    In addition to fruits and vegetables, log any oils you use for frying/sauteing/roasting, marinades, caloric drinks, random bites, and coffee creamer. You won't believe how much these add up.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    Yep, tighten up your logging, eat properly (as in, your full calorie allowance), and give it some more time.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies could be adding hundreds of calories, definitely not "free".