Obese Child? They'll be taken away!

Options

Replies

• lasttimelooser
    lasttimelooser Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ignorance MUST be bliss. It is the only explanation I can find for this idiotic proposition, there are so many things wrong with it. I've been overweight since the 3rd grade due to sexual abuse, my parents knew nothing about, by a babysitter. Textbook psychsematic response by women with these experiences. Their subconsious tricks their mind into eating to stave off any unwanted male attention. My parents loved me more than anything, but when a kid is trading **** for candybars at school, there's not much parental intervention to be done. Please think before you write. Or, God forbid, do a little research. You clearly have too much time on your hands.

Wow...I'm so sorry you went through that........breaks my heart.....
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    What needs to happen is to figure out why a two working parent home cannot afford eating healthy in this "rich" country.

THANK YOU, to the poster that said this. This has been the hardest challenge as a parent! As a single person when I didn't have the expense of a family I was eating organic, lean meats, super healthy food. Now as a parent...we barely have groceries to scrape through between paychecks. And now that my daughter is eating what we eat and I am trying to cook meals healthily 100% of the time...it just isn't happening. I know what my child needs to eat and we can't afford to provide those meals every single day so the unhealthy cheaper choices that I know I should not be feeding my child are served some times. :cry:

That being said, when I say we can't afford groceries that means we can not afford McDonalds and my child had never had McDonalds and I hope she never does.

Education and making healthy food available to families is the answer here not ripping families apart.
  • Dmax12
    Dmax12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    SOOOO everyone seems judgemental, simply answer this.

Would you rather have your child (Sibling, grandchild, etc) go through some trama early in life, or increase the chance GREATLY that they die young with health problems?

I think thats the core of whether they should be taken away.

anyone who thinks a child should go through Trauma, for any reason, including living longer, is just sick.

Thats entirely untrue, As a human being you should understand that trama is part of life and sometimes better than the lack of the trama e.g. Resetting a broken bone, setting someone in a tub of ice water to lower and extreme fever. If you think putting a child through any type of trama is "sick" i would say you would rather watch your children die/suffer rather than help them in a way that in the long run will be better. You obviously don't care to think on the subject, please don't try to post as if you do.

Forgot to add amputations
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't read the original comment closely enough. I was going by what the article was talking about. Super crazy, extreme cases. I also think you have to look at the simple decision - whether to remove the child from the home when, as the article says, all other reasonable options have been exhausted. You could argue for years about the foster care system or post-removal conditions, but that's not the point and I don't know enough about it to comment.

Love also has nothing to do with it. You could, in exactly the same way, love someone and feed them drugs. You're excuse would be weakness? Being an enabler? The one girl in the article almost died at 16? It would have been okay that she died because her parents loved her?

This will be just come down to a difference in opinion, but yes, I think if your child is a teenager and weighs 500 pounds (which means immediate and future health risks, including death) they should be removed and monitored. The parents are clearly incapable of caring for a child.

What if that child died and then they have another child who also became super obese and died as a teen? By your logic, it's okay for this to continually occur. It's not.

The point here isn't just that the child is obese. The parents are neglecting their child (Physical neglect (i.e., failure to meet adequately the physical needs of children)) that is not the same thing as removing a child because they are obese. Many of the responses on here are from parents who have small children. The big question for all of us is - what is the definition of too much? Who makes it? At the younger ages, the range of what defines normal, obese, and super obese is not a large range. Yes, some babies are even born super obese. I had a friend with a newborn so chubby you couldn't see his eyes. He eventually grew out of it, but when you just say because of someone's size that they should be removed, you miss what has happened to that child and still won't be able to properly care for them.
  • Dmax12
    Options
    ...eyes are so squished by fat that they are little more than slits...maybe the threat of losing losing their kids could and would work for some but for this woman I doubt it. Chav born n bred. I don't think taking kids away is the answer but not sure what is for the likes of her
    The reason to remove these kids is not obesity. It is neglect.

Well said!
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I should have my kids taken away from me. They aren't obese, but I took them to McDonald's and Peter Piper Pizza before. Where the *kitten* is CPS when you need them?
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    Yeah, I should have my kids taken away from me. They aren't obese, but I took them to McDonald's and Peter Piper Pizza before. Where the *kitten* is CPS when you need them?
    What do you think CPS will feed them? The same garbage they get at school? Your choices are still better.
  • Dmax12
    Options

It’s about taking away children whose immediate wellbeing is being threatened by neglect, you’re making a wildly absurd statement by taking an action out of context. Hopefully you were just being sarcastic
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I would agree on taking the children and putting them in a medical facility where the parents could visit them everyday. I watched this program on super obese people that go to brookhaven where they are taught to exercise and eat right, etc.....but the parents would have to be searched everytime they enterened because they could bring in snacks from the outside at the childs request. This would just be for the SUPER obese children.....and their should be vending machines in the school with just healthy snacks....not oreos and cheese its.

On a different subject At my highschool, we had the BEST food EVERRRRRR......we were allowed a dessert at lunch and the cookie alone had 1000 calories, but it was DELICIOUS......and we had things like chicken fried steaks and such. for breakfast we were allowed hasbrowns or cowboy potatoes, sausage and bacon, eggs, and we could either get waffle sticks or pancakes.....we got a fruit, a donut and 2 drinks(juice, milk).....all that food for 1.25....and the lunch was 2 dollars.....we had two lunch lines, one was prepared food like chicken fried steak and the other was brought in food like pizza ,corn dogs, hamburgers and fries....and as much soda at the soda machines as you wanted...a lot of kids were on a free food program for low income familes.....do you honestly think a teenager is going to choose fruit over a little debbie snack EVERYDAY???/ During highschool i got more into nutrition, so i thought "hey i can have this 1000 cal cookie if i have a bowl of iceburg lettuce drenched in ranch dressing" or" i can eat this mound of fries if i have some milk"......even though i wasn't in any sports and didn't burn off any of those Cals

Some parents can't afford to make their children's lunch or even breakfast everyday, which leaves them to getting on the "food program" at school, so i think there should be a food program at the school every year you are in school to teach you how to eat and portion control and the importance of working out.

So what i'm saying is the nutitional education should be more important in school
  • Kimbers70
    Kimbers70 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Alcohol is legal. People buy it, they drink and drive, kill people, and the stores still sell it. Why has the gov not stepped in?

People smoke cigarettes (former smoker here). Second hand smoke kills and tobacco has been proven to be a killer. Why hasnt the gov stepped in?

I could go on and on all day....obesity is an issue, yes that is true. But you dont just steal kids away from their homes. Period.
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I would agree on taking the children and putting them in a medical facility where the parents could visit them everyday. I watched this program on super obese people that go to brookhaven where they are taught to exercise and eat right, etc.....but the parents would have to be searched everytime they enterened because they could bring in snacks from the outside at the childs request. This would just be for the SUPER obese children.....and their should be vending machines in the school with just healthy snacks....not oreos and cheese its.

On a different subject At my highschool, we had the BEST food EVERRRRRR......we were allowed a dessert at lunch and the cookie alone had 1000 calories, but it was DELICIOUS......and we had things like chicken fried steaks and such. for breakfast we were allowed hasbrowns or cowboy potatoes, sausage and bacon, eggs, and we could either get waffle sticks or pancakes.....we got a fruit, a donut and 2 drinks(juice, milk).....all that food for 1.25....and the lunch was 2 dollars.....we had two lunch lines, one was prepared food like chicken fried steak and the other was brought in food like pizza ,corn dogs, hamburgers and fries....and as much soda at the soda machines as you wanted...a lot of kids were on a free food program for low income familes.....do you honestly think a teenager is going to choose fruit over a little debbie snack EVERYDAY???/ During highschool i got more into nutrition, so i thought "hey i can have this 1000 cal cookie if i have a bowl of iceburg lettuce drenched in ranch dressing" or" i can eat this mound of fries if i have some milk"......even though i wasn't in any sports and didn't burn off any of those Cals

Some parents can't afford to make their children's lunch or even breakfast everyday, which leaves them to getting on the "food program" at school, so i think there should be a food program at the school every year you are in school to teach you how to eat and portion control and the importance of working out.

So what i'm saying is the nutitional education should be more important in school

i for one ate what i wanted outside of home
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Maybe I didn't read the original comment closely enough. I was going by what the article was talking about. Super crazy, extreme cases. I also think you have to look at the simple decision - whether to remove the child from the home when, as the article says, all other reasonable options have been exhausted. You could argue for years about the foster care system or post-removal conditions, but that's not the point and I don't know enough about it to comment.

Love also has nothing to do with it. You could, in exactly the same way, love someone and feed them drugs. You're excuse would be weakness? Being an enabler? The one girl in the article almost died at 16? It would have been okay that she died because her parents loved her?

This will be just come down to a difference in opinion, but yes, I think if your child is a teenager and weighs 500 pounds (which means immediate and future health risks, including death) they should be removed and monitored. The parents are clearly incapable of caring for a child.

What if that child died and then they have another child who also became super obese and died as a teen? By your logic, it's okay for this to continually occur. It's not.

The point here isn't just that the child is obese. The parents are neglecting their child (Physical neglect (i.e., failure to meet adequately the physical needs of children)) that is not the same thing as removing a child because they are obese. Many of the responses on here are from parents who have small children. The big question for all of us is - what is the definition of too much? Who makes it? At the younger ages, the range of what defines normal, obese, and super obese is not a large range. Yes, some babies are even born super obese. I had a friend with a newborn so chubby you couldn't see his eyes. He eventually grew out of it, but when you just say because of someone's size that they should be removed, you miss what has happened to that child and still won't be able to properly care for them.

I don't know what the definition would be. That would be for the doctors/scientists to determine. A chubby newborn? Come on. Clearly, this is not what I or the article is referring to. I admittedly don't have kids. But for a young teen to be 500 pounds? Dam. The one girl almost died in the hospital....that's crazy. I just don't see how you could be deemed as being able to care for a child. But that's just me.
  • kbarry90
    kbarry90 Posts: 48
    Options
    I guess I am looking at this with another point of view as well. According to the charts, my 5 year old is 95th percentile for height and stays between the 5th and 10th for weight. He eats a lot. Most of it very healthy and balanced, but, gasp, I do let him have fast food on occasion and treats that include sweets. According to the charts he is underweight. I love him very much and I am not lazy. He has freshly prepared meals multiple times a day, to include snacks. Based solely on the charts though, if we are going to base only on numbers and not the reality, should he be removed?

What is causing a 2 year old to be over 100 pounds? What is the cause of the obesity? Do we take a child away because they were molested/raped outside the home and never told their parents and they eat to comfor themselves? Will removing that child from their home really improve the quality of their life? I do feel horrible every time I see an overly chubby child. I know that they have increased risk for disease, and that they are likely to be bullied and treated horribly by other children AND adults. The one comfort these children have is their family.

I was molested as a child never told my parents most likely never will. Don't see the point of bringing something up from years ago and reliving it you know? I believe this is the reason I was the only one of my parents kids who were fat but I'm trying to change now. My sister was also molested by the same person she try to tell them and when they asked me I denied it because I didn't want to deal with the pain my sister turned to drugs I turned to food. Every child has their own way with dealing with issues that occur in their life. Just because a child is overweight or obese people shouldn't assume that the parents don't care and they are just fat because they don't care about themselves. My parents love me.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options
    What needs to happen is to figure out why a two working parent home cannot afford eating healthy in this "rich" country.

THANK YOU, to the poster that said this. This has been the hardest challenge as a parent! As a single person when I didn't have the expense of a family I was eating organic, lean meats, super healthy food. Now as a parent...we barely have groceries to scrape through between paychecks. And now that my daughter is eating what we eat and I am trying to cook meals healthily 100% of the time...it just isn't happening. I know what my child needs to eat and we can't afford to provide those meals every single day so the unhealthy cheaper choices that I know I should not be feeding my child are served some times. :cry:

That being said, when I say we can't afford groceries that means we can not afford McDonalds and my child had never had McDonalds and I hope she never does.

Education and making healthy food available to families is the answer here not ripping families apart.

For us it was, man we are flat a** broke, we can get a head of broccoli for 1.50 or get a double cheeseburger for a 1.00.....which is more fillling? That is why a lot of the obese children come from Lower class families because you get fuller for cheaper at fast food restaraunts than you can eating healthy
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options
    I don't know what the definition would be. That would be for the doctors/scientists to determine. A chubby newborn? Come on. Clearly, this is not what I or the article is referring to. I admittedly don't have kids. But for a young teen to be 500 pounds? Dam. The one girl almost died in the hospital....that's crazy. I just don't see how you could be deemed as being able to care for a child. But that's just me.
    The point here is that the children should not be removed based solely on their BMI. I think a much better question than whether a child who almost died in the hospital was not caught well before then? Her doctors, teachers, counselors missed the boat there. She should have been helped long before she got that large.
  • Dmax12
    Options
    Alcohol is legal. People buy it, they drink and drive, kill people, and the stores still sell it. Why has the gov not stepped in?

People smoke cigarettes (former smoker here). Second hand smoke kills and tobacco has been proven to be a killer. Why hasnt the gov stepped in?

I could go on and on all day....obesity is an issue, yes that is true. But you dont just steal kids away from their homes. Period.

Alcohol - Drink and drive with a kid in the car and he/she will be! and your right to operate a motor vehicle in a normal fashion as well as large sums of money.

cigarettes - they have, millions of dollars are raised via tabaco taxes that support anti-smoking movements

You could go on all day, but unhealthy food is not taxed and your not ticketed for giving it to you kid. So I don't see where any of your points are valid...
  • kingkong123
    Options
    The point here is that the children should not be removed based solely on their BMI. I think a much better question than whether a child who almost died in the hospital was not caught well before then? Her doctors, teachers, counselors missed the boat there. She should have been helped long before she got that large.

So it's the doctors, teachers, counselors fault? Not the parent or parents who brought them into the world, live with them, provide food for them, and are responsible for their well being? I'm not trying to be a d***, but the blame game is a tired excuse.
  • kingkong123
    Options

You have to be 21 and 18 to buy those respectively. The government stepped in when they banned indoor smoking. They're working on banning smoking outdoors, e.g., NY. Steps are being taken.

I'm pretty sure drinking and driving is also against the law. Step in how? Give people the death penalty for a DUI? And you are basically implying that if one of these children dies, the parents should be punished via the legal system, which I'm guessing is not what you want to say.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    Options

Alcohol - Drink and drive with a kid in the car and he/she will be! and your right to operate a motor vehicle in a normal fashion as well as large sums of money.

cigarettes - they have, millions of dollars are raised via tabaco taxes that support anti-smoking movements

You could go on all day, but unhealthy food is not taxed and your not ticketed for giving it to you kid. So I don't see where any of your points are valid...

But a parent is allowed to smoke in the house, which will effect the childs health....You can even legally smoke as a pregnant woman and drink as much alcohol as a you want and still are able to keep your child.
  • vim_n_vigor
    Options

So it's the doctors, teachers, counselors fault? Not the parent or parents who brought them into the world, live with them, provide food for them, and are responsible for their well being? I'm not trying to be a d***, but the blame game is a tired excuse.
    The people who involve CPS are generally the doctors, teachers and counselors of the child. Parents don't generally call CPS to let them know they are not taking care of their children properly. The parents did not do the right thing for this child and others didn't as well. There are probably hundreds of people in that child's life that could have intervened at any time. The point here is still - obesity is not the reason she should be removed from her parent's care. She should be removed because they are not properly caring for her. Kicking, hitting, biting, shoving, underfeeding, restraining, unsanitary conditions, any sort of extreme condition is reason for these people to get involved and care for the child. Yes, it is their LEGAL responsibility in some positions to report these cases. Guarantee in a house where a child almost dies from being 400 lbs overweight, there were other questionable conditions.