Are these kinds of fat loss transformations legit at all?

Options
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw2aId2XwWE

It claims to be a '6 week' transformation. If I'm not mistaken the guy in the vid is losing 3lbs+ a week, yet what annoyed me was how he said, 'You don't want to lose weight too fast' - dude, you're claiming to lose 3-4lbs + every 7 days and yet that's not fast? Typical stupid bro advice.

Meanwhile I'm starving myself and losing 1lb a week if I eat 1800 calories maximum daily as a 6'1 male. I'm confused.

Replies

• kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    For sanity sake, I never judge myself against any one else. I'm happy with my accomplishments and just because "X" got there faster doesn't make it better or my accomplishment less significant.

My advice, is to keep doing what you are doing. You may be happier decreasing your deficit and losing slower if you feel you are starving.
  • kevinkehres7
    kevinkehres7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If they’re trying to sell you something, it’s probably not legit.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Looks pretty suspicious to me, for a few reasons that jump out at me.I once read an article that listed 5 ways these type of ads/pics/videos fool you, and this article seems like it followed all 5 things to a 'T'.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    No, you aren't confused at all. It's horse puckey, which is why you think it's horse puckey. If you're overly hungry at 1800 cals, maybe you should think about what you are eating. For me personally, a few nuts in my cereal or on my salad really helps with hunger. I feel fuller with 1/2 cup of full fat yogurt or cottage cheese than a cup of the low fat. Others do better with lots of bulky food and less fat. Play around a little until you figure out what works for you. I'm sure others have other suggestions.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    phwdjones wrote: »

Meanwhile I'm starving myself and losing 1lb a week if I eat 1800 calories maximum daily as a 6'1 male. I'm confused.

regardless of the videos, this is your problem... and you have been told time and time again what you could be doing to be successful in your weight loss....
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

regardless of the videos, this is your problem... and you have been told time and time again what you could be doing to be successful in your weight loss....

^^This. We have pointed out several times that your approach is counter productive. You seem insistent on ignoring everything that is said to you in that regard.
  • phwdjones
    phwdjones Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Im cutting my sodium down. I touched a new low of 187.6 the other day, before binging on 4.5k cals over the weekend which I accept was my fault. I'm also altering my diet to include more satiating foods. It is still very hard though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Im cutting my sodium down. I touched a new low of 187.6 the other day, before binging on 4.5k cals over the weekend which I accept was my fault. I'm also altering my diet to include more satiating foods. It is still very hard though.

if you're still eating 1800, i am not surprised you binged...
  • phwdjones
    Options

I honestly think 1800 is about right for me :neutral: I really have very little patience. I want to get back in the gym eating at a surplus again, so I want this to be over as quickly as possible. If I go over 2000 its going to be slow as hell.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options

I honestly think 1800 is about right for me :neutral: I really have very little patience. I want to get back in the gym eating at a surplus again, so I want this to be over as quickly as possible. If I go over 2000 its going to be slow as hell.

1800 is about 50 calories more than I eat to lose 1lb per week as a 5'8" 215lb female and that's before eating exercise calories back (I eat all of them and still lose). Honestly man - listen to what they are telling you, this is why you end up bingeing.
  • phwdjones
    Options

1800 is about 50 calories more than I eat to lose 1lb per week as a 5'8" 215lb female and that's before eating exercise calories back (I eat all of them and still lose). Honestly man - listen to what they are telling you, this is why you end up bingeing.

I go by what the scale tells me. I don’t seem to burn many cals at rest, hence why I ballooned to over 200lbs from 180 in the space of a month eating 3200 cals a day.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try a 6-week weight loss contest. A week before it starts, switch to a carb heavy, maintenance calorie diet. Really load up the glycogen and water weight. Then weigh in real heavy. For 4 weeks of the contest, just eat at maintenance. Then at the start of week 5 and through the end of week 6, go full on low carb, again at maintenance. Drop all the water weight and just see if I can win the contest while keeping the same level of overall fat and keeping at maintenance calories.
  • jennydelgado09
    jennydelgado09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    At 4'11 with 1670 limit goal and exercising( not eating back exercise calories) I am losing weight.

Again, I'm 4'11 and 148lbs. You're 190 and 6'1, you can eat more.

The reason it's probably a slow process is because you keep binging.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I go by what the scale tells me. I don’t seem to burn many cals at rest, hence why I ballooned to over 200lbs from 180 in the space of a month eating 3200 cals a day.

Your scale result was affected by a lot of water retention caused by sodium which was mentioned in your other post so you weren't taking the trend into account. Eating 3200 calories probably is at the other extreme of the scale, so why not just eat at a happy medium and use a trendweight app like Happy Scale or Libra to determine your actual weight?

No point under-eating if you're just going to eat it all back on a weekend because you're so hungry.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I have found 2 successful strategies for me when it comes to remaining sane while losing weight.

1 - eat at a deficit for 6 weeks, then maintenance for 2 weeks, repeat - I did this all last year and it worked well
    2 - leangains, which is higher calories 3 days per week (strength training days) and lower calories 4 days per week - I have been following that this year with great success

I cannot sustain deficit eating all the time, it makes me crazy and leads to cravings and total lack of giving a crap.