Waffles

Options
Anyone else love waffles? Anyone have some lower calorie (like 130-160 for two waffles) frozen varieties they are into? I have to buy frozen and heat them at work because hubby is gluten free and we don't do gluten in the house. I've been eating the Eggo whole grain low fat waffles, mainly because that's what is in my main grocery store. I'd love to try some different ones, though, that meet that calorie profile.

They are especially good with pumpkin butter/butter blend on them. YUMM. Waffles.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Kashi hits those cals.

k66xd9kr2tw3.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Kashi hits those cals.

I need to find them in the store! I don't know why my Kroger-chain doesn't have them. :/ Gonna have to hit up Whole Foods I think.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Kashi hits those cals.

I need to find them in the store! I don't know why my Kroger-chain doesn't have them. :/ Gonna have to hit up Whole Foods I think.

I find them at Fred Meyer.
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Kodiak Powercake waffles are 260 w/ 6-12g of protein

7zoinqfys1gp.png
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    Kodiak Powercake waffles are 260 w/ 6-12g of protein

7zoinqfys1gp.png

Too many calories for what I'm looking for. But they look delicious!
  • vnb_208
    Options
    260? really my protein shake for breakfast is more than that lol. I try to do breakfast under 350 but I need something to hold me over till lunch. Aldis fit & active waffles are 140 but I'm hungry after I eat them
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    260? really my protein shake for breakfast is more than that lol. I try to do breakfast under 350 but I need something to hold me over till lunch. Aldis fit & active waffles are 140 but I'm hungry after I eat them

The waffles go with another 200 calories or so of other food like cottage cheese or boiled eggs. I'm really looking for a solid set of carbs in my waffles, moreso than protein. I need the carbs to do running of many miles.
  • vnb_208
    Options
    cij6i88dhlyo.png
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Kashi blueberry ones
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    There are a few gluten free waffle mixes on the market that you could order. Then you can make a batch at home and freeze what you don't use. Or, there are recipes too so you could make your own. If you don't have a waffle maker, get a cheap one at target. The cost of making your own waffles will be lower than buying them.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    There are a few gluten free waffle mixes on the market that you could order. Then you can make a batch at home and freeze what you don't use. Or, there are recipes too so you could make your own. If you don't have a waffle maker, get a cheap one at target. The cost of making your own waffles will be lower than buying them.

When I have a few minutes to dick around on the internet, I might look up some GF waffle recipes/mixes that meet the calories I want. Batch cooking them and freezing them is way more cost effective. I do have a decent waffle maker. Mentally I need to know that I am either getting one huge waffle or two regular waffles, otherwise, well, it's just not worth it. $4 for a box of frozen waffles that lasts 5 days makes me sad.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Super easy to make. My own low calorie / carb waffles.

r1j6u9cdu0ol.jpg

Get:
    2 tbsp Coconut Flour
    2 tbsp Almond or Cashew Milk
    0.50 tsp Baking Powder
    1 tsp Stevia or any Sweetener
    3 Egg Whites

Make:
    Whip the egg whites until nice and firm.
    Mix all the other ingredients and add to the egg whites.
    Gently fold everything until mixed through.
    Spray your waffle maker and add the mix.
    Cook as you would any other waffle.

Note:
    #1. In my waffle maker, this makes more than one. If I dump the mix into it it will grow and spill and make a mess. I now make two smaller sized waffles (as like the one in the picture).
    #2. I buy egg whites in a carton and utilize the entire box at once by adjusting the base recipe. I bake them all and freeze by placing a wax paper sheet in between. They freeze and re-heat beautifully and dont loose the texture at all.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 115
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 10 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 247 mg 10 %
    Potassium 166 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 21 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %
    Vitamin A 1 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 7 %
    Iron 10 %

This is brilliant. Totally doing this. I stalk you in the "show me your food thread" and the volume eating one, too, so this is 100% legit. Not creepy or anything.

Is the calorie count for the whole mix? Like, seriously I could get two medium-ish waffles for 115 calories? There's a big-*kitten* bag of coconut flour at Costco and I could have waffles for life with this recipe.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Super easy to make. My own low calorie / carb waffles.

r1j6u9cdu0ol.jpg

Get:
    2 tbsp Coconut Flour
    2 tbsp Almond or Cashew Milk
    0.50 tsp Baking Powder
    1 tsp Stevia or any Sweetener
    3 Egg Whites

Make:
    Whip the egg whites until nice and firm.
    Mix all the other ingredients and add to the egg whites.
    Gently fold everything until mixed through.
    Spray your waffle maker and add the mix.
    Cook as you would any other waffle.

Note:
    #1. In my waffle maker, this makes more than one. If I dump the mix into it it will grow and spill and make a mess. I now make two smaller sized waffles (as like the one in the picture).
    #2. I buy egg whites in a carton and utilize the entire box at once by adjusting the base recipe. I bake them all and freeze by placing a wax paper sheet in between. They freeze and re-heat beautifully and dont loose the texture at all.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 1.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 115
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 4 g 6 %
    Saturated Fat 2 g 10 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 0 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 247 mg 10 %
    Potassium 166 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 9 g 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 5 g 21 %
    Sugars 2 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %
    Vitamin A 1 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 7 %
    Iron 10 %

This is brilliant. Totally doing this. I stalk you in the "show me your food thread" and the volume eating one, too, so this is 100% legit. Not creepy or anything.

Is the calorie count for the whole mix? Like, seriously I could get two medium-ish waffles for 115 calories? There's a big-*kitten* bag of coconut flour at Costco and I could have waffles for life with this recipe.

Yeap. And trust me, if you top it with stuff, one will be enough for a nice after dinner snack.

Just curious, but this looks gluten & lactose free as well. Is it? Might show it to my wife if it is.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options

Yeap. And trust me, if you top it with stuff, one will be enough for a nice after dinner snack.

That calorie profile pretty much guarantees I'm covering it with peanut butter.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

Just curious, but this looks gluten & lactose free as well. Is it? Might show it to my wife if it is.

You can be like, "Hey baby...let me show you my waffle mix." That's hot.

Oh, won't be my waffle mix. That's for sure. I like my milk and gluten too much. But might try the Protein one @crazyravr mentioned in another thread.

• fitoverfortymom
    Options

Oh, won't be my waffle mix. That's for sure. I like my milk and gluten too much. But might try the Protein one @crazyravr mentioned in another thread.

I also love the gluten and the milk--just can't cook with gluten at home without having double sets of everything because I have super sensitive Celiacs in the house.
  • Tacklewasher
    Options

I also love the gluten and the milk--just can't cook with gluten at home without having double sets of everything because I have super sensitive Celiacs in the house.

My wife is intolerant. So she makes her waffles first. Then I make mine. Same goes for anything with potatoes.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I like the Aldi Fit & Active (140 calories) and Trader Joe's frozen pumpkin waffles (180 calories).