Obese dieters- what worked?

Options

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting. Weighing and logging my food in MFP. I started at 256 a little more than a year ago and I'm at 157 now.

Great job! Did you incorporate exercising? If so, what did you like to do? I started around that number and am now about 30 lbs down from that after putting some of the initial weight loss back on.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    dfnewcombe wrote: »

Make short term goals that can feed into long term goals but avoid making a number on an inanimate object one of them. That one measurement is too often given way too much power.... The time is going to pass either way- make it count!

Awesome advice! Smaller attainable goals. Wtg! Such an inspiration!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just curious. As I feel as if I have been a yo-yo dieter for the entire time I have been on this journey, over a year. I have tried it all and found that calories-in/calories-out worked, but my weight loss was very slow. Tried keto, weight-loss shakes, you name it. I have tried it. For those who had or wanted to lose 30-50lbs what helped you lose the initial first 30lbs? I guess because I am considered obese, I thought the fat would just melt away lol...

Weight loss is slow...that's how it is...I started obese and it took me 9 months to lose 40 Lbs...and that was 9 months of just plugging away and being consistent, recognizing that weight loss is a slow process.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    eating less. moving more.

100 pounds down.

it takes dedication and patience. 3 years for me to get this far, and more to go. but im not complaining with my size now ;)

Great job!
  • bdalton26
    bdalton26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb and the everything-else-diets and nothing worked. Until I went to calorie restriction/deficit of 1500 cal/day and I take Adderall 3 times a day. Ive lost 23 lbs in 2 months.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 lbs a couple years ago by incorporating exercise and portion control. I also started cooking regularly and that probably led to a calorie deficit. After a plateau and a long diet break, I'm back at it again. 19 lbs down thanks to calorie counting and eating at a calorie deficit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CONSISTENT calorie deficit. Keep "cheat days", "binges", etc in check. I lost every month for 2.5 years, 150 lbs lost in total.
    Keep trying new ingredients and new recipes.
    Keep moving.
    Keep track of everything, including progress pics and measurements.
    Don't make crazy changes for weight loss you're not willing to stick with long term.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It took me a year to lose 20 lbs so I know slow :lol: But my slow loss led to a much easier transition to maintenance, and I've kept it off for over a year now. This is just my 2 cents, but I really believe that the key is losing the weight by eating and exercising in a way you can stick to at goal weight, just with more calories to play with. I know so many people who lose the weight then go back to eating "normal" and gain it all back. I think I succeeded because I found a new normal! I also have a 3 year logging streak :)

Good luck!

I’m impressed at the 3 year logging streak! Wow! Clearly you have consistency downnnn! Congrats even on that!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I haven't been obese until the last 5-6 years. I did do some diets in my youth, but usually that was to lose about 10-20 lbs. They usually worked (the younger I was the faster I could lose weight) but then there was no plan for maintenance included and something would throw me off the low carb, the low fat, or whatever the diet was.

I have lost 22 lbs. since the last week in June. I haven't made it to thirty yet, but I'm happy with so far. There were two weeks that I ate at maintenance while on vacation, so I've been losing 1.5-2.0 lbs. per week. I've been logging, and got a food scale a couple of weeks ago. I also increased my gym workouts. I'm over 50 so I think the weight is falling off considering that. My goal is 100 lbs. so I'm about 23% there. I ate relatively healthy but I used to eat too much of the healthy food and some calorie dense items. Now that I have to eat about 1/2 or less of the calories that I used to eat, in order to have a deficit, I have to be a lot pickier about what I eat. The most calorie dense items I can't have daily otherwise I'll be too hungry. MFP has taught me to make some choices about food--the most bang for the buck, and also to eat more foods that I like (that are nutritionally worthwhile) too.

I like logging and knowing how many calories I need to eat and how much I need to exercise. I enjoy exercise but coordinating it with the deficit is powerful. I can plan my workouts when I will be able to get the most out of them (not dead tired or rushing) and what I need to eat for the day. I have a busy life and a crazy schedule so the planning is really important. I think this will help me when I can eat a bit more once I've lost the weight and am on maintenance.