Prison food is the pitts....

Options
I visit my brother every other week at the prison, and the only food there is available in the vending maching. Since the days I go visit him are days that are packed with appointments are errands, so by the time I get there I am famished! Dinners always consist of buttery popcorn, danishes, chips...etc. And for most people when they eat crappy food...they feel crappy and wonder why they did. Me? I'm the opposite. Once I have one bite of that buttery delicious fatty foods, I want more! So hard to not come home and continue snacking (because you know how unsatisfying and filling snack foods are...you have to keep eating 'em!):glasses:

Replies

• GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    I visit my brother every other week at the prison, and the only food there is available in the vending maching. Since the days I go visit him are days that are packed with appointments are errands, so by the time I get there I am famished! Dinners always consist of buttery popcorn, danishes, chips...etc. And for most people when they eat crappy food...they feel crappy and wonder why they did. Me? I'm the opposite. Once I have one bite of that buttery delicious fatty foods, I want more! So hard to not come home and continue snacking (because you know how unsatisfying and filling snack foods are...you have to keep eating 'em!):glasses:
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    You should try packing healthy snacks to take in the car - eat healthy while you are running errands and such, fill up on some protien before the visit - that way you can AVOID the vending machines!! Will they allow you to take foods in? If so, take food so that the temptation is less. I'm sure it is stressful that your brother is in prison, and stressful to see him in that environment - that probably adds to your junk food cravings - and to you still wanting junk when you get home. Think about that and see if there might be healthier ways you can deal with the stress.

It is so important that people who are incarcerated continue to have support - I'm sure it means so much to your brother that you visit him. I used to work with non-violent offenders after release to help them secure job training and find work - I know it was much easier for them to re-enter the population if they had not been completely disconnected from it - and visits were an important part of keeping them connected.

I'm sorry for your troubles :brokenheart: and for your brother's. Be strong - plan ahead. You can deal with this in a healthy way - I just know it!:flowerforyou:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your brother being in prison and he's very fortunate to have such a caring sister to visit him. It must not be easy on you. Never had a detailed acct of what prison food is like till what you described.

Take good care of yourself and your family. :flowerforyou: Thank you for your courage to share your life story with us.
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    i agree with lulubar's idea to have healthy things in the car with you....and to eat them on your way there and on your way home...being supportive of your brother is so important to his well being...and to yours too....seeing you is probably what keeps him going and lets him know that he is not alone....blessings to you both that your journeys ahead are successful...
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I take it you mean the vending machine food is the only food available to visitors? Yea that would be rough... pre-planning can help SO MUCH on the busy days or any day! Just figure out what food you would eat while at home and take it along. Chicken breast? Grab one from the fridge, cold veggies, some grapes or other handy to bring along fruits, things like that you can eat when traveling on your busy days.

Any of the ideas we've shared so far help your mind get whirling?:bigsmile: Oh, and nuts, 22 almonds and 2 T. raisins go great together. Just figure pre-planning and snack size baggies and you're on your way! :) Oh and toss in a couple water bottles to keep you away from the soda etc. Or you could buy milk from the vending machines and calculate that in your cals as well!

FC:heart:
  • GrnEyz
    GrnEyz Posts: 360
    Options
    Thank you all for you're suggestions and support! I was so proud of myself last night. After I posted this, I brushed my teeth and went to bed...so NO snacking!

I probably shouldn't complain about the junk food we have to eat while visiting. From my brothers accounts the food inside is "Un-fit for human consumption". So I know that he looks forward to the vending machine food (You know it's bad when you look forward to eating sandwiches that have sat in a vending machine!!)

Thanks again! :flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    You might not be able to bring any food in with you, right? You can try to offset some of it by eating healthy through out the day. Carrots and hummus, celery, cheese sticks...I bring them with me on my daily rounds (I drive around a lot!)

:flowerforyou: