Maintenance with hyperthyroidism experiences?

Options
xiiiiina
xiiiiina Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I was diagnosed with a hyperthyroid two years ago! Being put on medication put me at an average metabolism and my eating habits just did not line up because I ended up gaining at least 10 pounds. I'm off my medication now because my doctor wants to see if I don't need them anymore and I'm hungry ALL THE TIME! I'm eating around 2000-2500 calories a day and I'm about 5'8 and a female but still maintaining at 128 pounds somehow with minimal excercise. Is this going to catch up on me? Should my metabolism right now mean that my ridiculously high calorie count is excused?

Replies

• Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    This is puzzling. What is the cause of your hyperthyroidism? Did your labs indicate that you were overmedicated? At that height and weight, why are you so concerned that you're going to the trouble of logging your food? Do you weigh and measure your food? It's possible that 2000-2500 is what it should be to maintain, depending on your activity level.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't know why you think 2000 - 2500 is some crazy high amount of calories...my wife is all of 5'2" and she maintains on 2000-2300 depending on her training.

Also, if you have hyperthyroid, then you're going to run hotter than someone who doesn't.

If you're maintaining on those calories then guess what? That's your maintenance...there's nothing to "excuse"...you're eating maintenance.
  • xiiiiina
    Options
    This is puzzling. What is the cause of your hyperthyroidism? Did your labs indicate that you were overmedicated? At that height and weight, why are you so concerned that you're going to the trouble of logging your food? Do you weigh and measure your food? It's possible that 2000-2500 is what it should be to maintain, depending on your activity level.

Thanks for your reply! There is no real cause for hyperthyroidism, it just happens! How most treatments work is your put on medication for a certain period of time, when that time is up you go off it and see if you might be in remission. If you aren't then you move on to potential surgery or RAI treatment. I'm a recovering binge eater and logging what I eat helps me stay on a healthier path. I do weigh and measure my food. I walk about 30-35 minutes a day between classes but I only workout 3x a week and there is usually no cardio involved.

• Athena98501
    Options
    xiiiiina wrote: »

Thanks for your reply! There is no real cause for hyperthyroidism, it just happens! How most treatments work is your put on medication for a certain period of time, when that time is up you go off it and see if you might be in remission. If you aren't then you move on to potential surgery or RAI treatment. I'm a recovering binge eater and logging what I eat helps me stay on a healthier path. I do weigh and measure my food. I walk about 30-35 minutes a day between classes but I only workout 3x a week and there is usually no cardio involved.

From what I've read, there can be cases caused by thyroid inflammation that is idiopathic (meaning no known cause), but that's a lot less likely than an autoimmune condition, such as Graves' Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Growths can do it too, but I imagine they at least felt for them. The autoimmune conditions I mentioned require lab tests to diagnose, or rule out. I would request those tests, if you haven't had them, and follow them up with a thyroid ultrasound if they both come up negative.
  • xiiiiina
    Options

[/quote]

From what I've read, there can be cases caused by thyroid inflammation that is idiopathic (meaning no known cause), but that's a lot less likely than an autoimmune condition, such as Graves' Disease or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Growths can do it too, but I imagine they at least felt for them. The autoimmune conditions I mentioned require lab tests to diagnose, or rule out. I would request those tests, if you haven't had them, and follow them up with a thyroid ultrasound if they both come up negative.[/quote]

Although I do appreciate your concern, I do have an endocrinologist that has done all the required tests on me and has ruled out Graves! I have a small growth on my thyroid that makes it work a little harder than it should. I get my thyroid checked quite often and I'm already diagnosed, just hear figuring out how to live with it!
  • Athena98501
    Options
    That's good to know. It had sounded to me like they hadn't investigated it, which would make it more difficult to treat. To address one of your initial concerns, you should keep your intake where it is while you're maintaining your current weight. Adjust as necessary if that changes, and you may need to with any changes in your treatment, but it sounds like that's worked fine for you in the past. Best of luck and health. :)
  • hamstercheeks
    hamstercheeks Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat: diagnosed with hyperthyroid two years ago, ruled out various causes, and just about to go off the medication. I lost too much weight while hyperthyroid due to higher metabolism. But when the meds regulates my metabolism, I gained back the 10 lbs and that was good. Now I want to maintain while going off the meds and hope the hyperthyroidism will go into remission. It does tend to increase the metabolism but that should only make a difference of about 200 kcal more per day that you can eat while hyperthyroid. My friends say I’m lucky to have a high metabolism but I wouldn’t wish hyperthyroidism on anyone!

Good luck to you, I think 2000-2500 might be your correct range for maintaining. I am 5’6 and 125 lb (felt too skinny when my weight dropped to 115, but 120-125 I’m fine with).