The FAVORITE JACKET for outdoor exercise thread.

Options
2»

Replies

• JMinney7
    JMinney7 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My face was freezing this morning. I'm not sure what to do about it. I considered one of those (motorcycle) cloth face shields but wouldn't your breath just make it wet?
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    JMinney7 wrote: »
    My face was freezing this morning. I'm not sure what to do about it. I considered one of those (motorcycle) cloth face shields but wouldn't your breath just make it wet?

Google FTW. Try a buff - it's basically a tubular scarf made out of sweat wicking material that can be worn a number of ways (including pulled up over the chin and cheeks).

http://womensrunning.competitor.com/2015/10/shoes-gear/a-buff-is-a-versatile-piece-of-gear-every-runner-should-have_47642
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    On a related note, can anyone recommend a vest or convertible jacket (i.e. removable sleeves) with

- a slim(ish) fit
    - wind/water resistant
    - decent breathability
    - no/minimal warmth or insulation
    - reflective elements would be great, but not required
    - extra credit if I can get it from REI.

Thanks.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    On a related note, can anyone recommend a vest or convertible jacket (i.e. removable sleeves) with

- a slim(ish) fit
    - wind/water resistant
    - decent breathability

Thanks.

You can't get these at REI but if you need a lot of pockets, you should check out this line of convertible jackets offered by SCOTTeVEST:

https://www.scottevest.com/mens-best-travel-clothing.shtml

It's still on my list of possible purchases.
  • SchweddyGirl
    SchweddyGirl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

- a slim(ish) fit
    - wind/water resistant
    - decent breathability

Thanks.

I have a Pearl Izumi jacket that I use for running, and I love it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    JL Racing's Purist splash jacket in hi-viz, for the rower-friendly features: High front hem; low back hem that still doesn't catch in the seat tracks; extra-long sleeves with a cuff that neither binds nor slips down; nothing to catch a sculler's thumbs; and that fetching "power boat please don't hit me" color. ;)
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    I have an old Marmot windshirt/jacket that I wear for running when it's cold. It has a very light fleece liner. I wear it walking when it's in the 40's and 50's, or running in 20's and 30's. Light but warm and I can tie it around my waist if I need to. I've been comfortable down to about 15 degrees in it, with a fleece shirt underneath. Some days that are cold but not windy I'll wear a fleece vest that keeps my core warm but can be unzipped if I get warm. It also has big pockets, which i like. For hiking I'll usually wear fleece, though I have a down jacket for really cold hikes.