Options
2»

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    toxikon wrote: »
    I go with what it says on the box. I usually buy large eggs and the box says 72 cals each. Eggs are one of the things I don't bother weighing, as they go straight from shell into a hot pan (and I'm not dirtying a bowl to weigh them!).

Do you have a scale with a tare function? If so, you can put eggs on scale, tare, crack in pan, put shells on scale, note weight. I weigh them, and I'd say they average 50g but not uncommonly are 10% more or less. As others pointed out, not a huge calorie variance if you're having one or two.

10% isn't that big a variance even if you're having a dozen! :smile:

Also, that's not quite how you use the tare function. You don't actually need to tare the scale to do the above, just weigh the whole egg and the shell only and then note the difference between the two.

You can use the tare function as described above if you want but then you'd need to note the difference in the negative number.
  • MinuitMinuet
    MinuitMinuet Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Large egg-72c
    Small egg-60c
    Pretty accurate so far.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Mad_Goose wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering how you guys log your eggs? I scan my egg box and it says 60 cals per egg. Yet some eggs are much larger than others. I want to be as accurate as possible. 60 cals per egg regardless of egg size doesn't seem very accurate.

You can weigh them on a food scale or opt for Egg Beaters or Egg Whites which are even easier to weigh out. Personally, I don't get all that strict. If there's a barcode, I scan it. I think I use 90 cals as the basic "1 Large Egg" measurement.
  • SarahSloth342634
    SarahSloth342634 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    All eggs are different. I just scan the box on Mfp. For egg whites I use the default which is about 17calories.