Back at it again. Low Carb ? Yes or No

Options
Maricella2017
Maricella2017 Posts: 1 Member
edited October 2017 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone. I'm starting my journey once more. After I had my first child (9yrs ago) I was in the best shape of my life. I worked out every day and ran outdoors. I am thinking of having a second child but I'm afraid that my current weight is going to make pregnancy high risk. I am looking for motivation from anyone with similar experience. I had surgery on my foot a few weeks ago and it's been hard to exercise. I am working on changing my carb loaded eating habits, but I am having difficulty deciding on whether to go low carb or not. In the past, a low carb diet has worked on the short term. After I end my low carb regiment the weight comes back on. Any suggestions? I know I should make a life time change, but I feel like I need some sort of diet to boost my weight loss in gear. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Replies

• timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Overall, it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you stick to your calorie goals: use MFP's tools to determine your daily calorie needs, set a deficit goal (how much do you want to lose per week/how much of a deficit is reasonable?). Then log everything accurately and the weight will come off, with or without carbohydrates. Rather than fixate on high v low carb, I would focus on developing sustainable lifestyle habits, a diet that feels good for you and provides enough balance/flexibility so that you can enjoy life and also keep it up long-term so you can keep the weight off long-term.

As for low-carb or no: it doesn't really matter, but you're likely to gain the weight back if you are miserable on the diet. Also be sure to distinguish between types of carbohydrates; carbs include anything from sugar to fiber, from whole food sources to refined sources, and though they won't be different calorically they'll make you feel different which will have an effect on your energy, satiety, and overall health.

That's it, hope it helps!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Instead of a diet - look for something long term. Some changes you can take with you into maintenance.

I've done the yo-yo thing too. Low carb will never be a lifestyle change for me, so I don't choose to lose weight that way. I need portion control for ALL foods not just diet ones.

I eat fewer carbs, but nothing extreme. For example: if I'm eating a sandwich (with bread) I'm not having a starchy side with it. So - hamburger & green salad, or grilled chicken and potatoes.

Keto does not have to be the answer for hunger control. Moderate deficit (enough calories) meal timing, shifting macros (not to the extremes of keto) all play a role.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Here's a helpful resource: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/ask-the-dietitian-whats-the-best-carb-protein-and-fat-breakdown-for-weight-loss/?utm_source=mfp&utm_medium=landingpage&utm_campaign=resolutionreset2016

Basically the dietician-recommended ranges for various macros are:
    Carbs: 45-65% of calories
    Protein: 10-35%
    Fats: 20-35%
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    No
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    I lost 61 lbs over six months using ketosis and exercise. It helped me with my mental focus, too. If you do it safely, all the YES!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sklarbodds wrote: »
    I've done (and am currently doing) Keto which is low carb, high fat.

Weight still boils down to CICO and I believe that 100%.

However, what Keto (or others like it) do is cut out foods that are calorie dense. 200 calories of chicken/beef/pork/whatever is going to fill you up a lot more than 200 calories of bread/dessert/whatever. It just will.

Plus, sugar is the one thing that I think really messes up a body from processing things and low fat stuff typically has sugar added to make it taste better.

Most (not all) keto meals I eat are very filling and keep me full longer, thus making it easier to lose weight.

That being said, a strict low carb diet is really hard to abide by. Freaking everything has carbs in it.

Good luck!

The bold isn't true. Whenever you eat sugar, it's either storaged as glycogen, oxidized immediately for energy, or stored as fat (this is more rare). Obesity has much greater impacts on health and how your body processes foods. As you become more obese, you become more insulin resistance.

Also, ironically, you compared proteins vs carbs, where keto has more focus on fats. I'd suggest that 200 calories of bread will fill you up more than 200 calories of butter, oils, nuts.

OP, really comes down to what satiates you more... carbs or fats? Increasing proteins and fiber will generally enhance compliance. Personally, I am a volume eater and I have to cut fats. Fats are way too expensive and do not satiate me.
  • tracymegan
    tracymegan Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    After many different diets over the years, i have finally found a system that never deprives me...I think that is key. Diet sounds like something temporary...one should change your way of eating, and I am not sure that a carb free life sounds like much fun...I mean there is birthday cake and bread. It makes it so much easier if you are not in some sort of deprivation, which ends up making you resent the "diet" and falling off it becomes too easy. My macronutrients are 175 carbs, 145 protein, and 64 fat...thats over 1800 calories and I have lost 2 pounds Plus a week for the last 11 weeks. But I am accurate with what I measure.It is never an apple, it is 100g of apple. Most my apples are closer to 220 grams...those carbs add up. accountability is important
  • riobella
    riobella Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been through the same, as far as childbirth, foot surgeries, exercise & weightloss. The lowfat diets & products of the 90's destroyed my body....starving, with HCG injections, makes you insane. I am doing keto now - but have done it in the past, when it wasn't called anything. Based on my wealth of research, this is the better option. Yes, carbs will fill you up immediately, but if you're not exercising, you won't burn them off AND you'll be hungry sooner than eating protein & fat. I also believe women's bodies in general respond better to an Atkins/Keto type plan. Will it come back on? What plan doesn't???? I find it easier to eat, and eat out this way. Sandwiches, burgers, entrees...skip the bread and potatoes...equally as important: good fats & proteins feed your brain best!
  • India411
    India411 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and 138 down from 144 and 149 at highest not counting preggo weight which reached 165..urgh.
    Over the yrs after 3 kids I've tried 6Wk Body Makeover, supplements as well as did the HCG drops. The dropped I lost like 25 lbs, 6 WK BMO I lost 30..both lost that weight in like 3 1/2 weeks..but gained back as I love food, I enjoy food and it's everywhere I go especially at family functions..so was a losing battle long term. Plus was so BORING and unenjoyable to my taste buds!!
    I have sugar issues but I'm not Diabetic or hypoglycemic..I just get these 'flashes' which is what I called them...H-angry, shaky, clammy.... So was heading for needing meds and didn't want that. Keto is working best for me. Food is yummy, can TOTALLY adjust wherever I eat (still learning), satisfied, full n don't feel the severe restrictions when 'eating clean'. So far my favorite although wieght loss is slower. I feel happier and excited when I eat now.
    So low carb YES, but u need the good days!! Olive oil, grass fed butter, heavy cream, avacado s, nuts, fatty meats/feet and lots of green veggies/leafy greens. Check out Diet doctor.com on wieght loss tab..lots of great info and YouTube videos by Dr. David Kickers are AWESOME for medical info on why keto is an amazing way to get healthy. Love his vids. Hope this helps!
    I'm losing, eating yummy, not hungry, not craving sweets or anything for that matter except juicy pork chops and spinach cooked in buttery yumminess!! Add me and we can share!