Eating Disorder to Fit Af

Options
Hey, y’all!!! So, just a tad bit of background info here, I’m a 22year old female, 5’1”, and currently fluctuating Between 90-93 pounds. I had an eating disorder for about two years and although it’s still heavy on my mind, I’m trying to bulk up and get some hella muscle! Haha. I lift about 5-6 Times a week and do cardio 2-3 days as well... I’m eating around 1900-2100 calories a day right now and that totally freaks me out.... I really really want to put on sexy muscle but I am TERRIFIED of my stomach getting fat!!!! What are your best suggestions for:
a) ensuring LEAN muscle growth
b) dealing with the awful stomach pains from bloating and over eating
c) literally any bulking suggestions whatsoever

Thanks for any information

Replies

• RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I have no helpful information, but wanted to say good for you for taking control from your eating disorder!!
  • dallasmunden
    dallasmunden Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, y’all are wonderful!! I’m not exactly sure where I’d like to be weight-wise.... I’m thinking 105, but I’ve not been in the double- digits in like three years. When I got out of treatmeant, I was 79 lbs! I’m just so scared that my stomach is going to be fat and disgusting and I don’t want to fall back into my old ways of bulimia and anorexia.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @dallasmunden Hey, girl! Congrats on the good fight. It is tough to overcome an eating disorder. I truly hope that you stay strong and true to yourself.

So, bulking is going to - by definition - mean that you are eating at a caloric surplus. That is just what a bulk is (nutritionally). Well, I guess that is what everyone understands by the term "bulk".

So, if you are going to bulk and a bulk means "caloric surplus" let's start with the basics!

Do you know what your maintenance caloric intake is? Meaning, if you consume xx number of calories each day - on average - you will neither gain nor loose weight. It is important to have an idea of what your maintenance is so that you can better understand what a caloric surplus (or, a caloric deficit - for that matter) is FOR YOU.

So, as a start, I plugged in your details to an on-line TDEE Calculator. Based on your gender, your age, your height and your weight things look like this:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,114 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,337 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,532 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,727 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 1,922 calories per day
    Athlete 2,117 calories per day

So, depending on your physical activity, the above would be your "suggested" maintenance calories. However, and everyone has heard this 1,001 times from me.....the use of an on-line TDEE calculator should be viewed as a starting point. And nothing but a starting point. You would need to play with this to find your actual maintenance calories - since you are a unique individual.

So, let's just say that you have a 'sit on your booty all day' job and that you did no 'gym training' at all and that you are not super active outside of work. You would likely use the "Sedentary" number of 1,337 Calories as your starting point.

Hopefully that helps you out a little bit there.

So, your TDEE equals BMR + PAL + NEAT + TEF.....

Total Daily Energy Expenditure = Basal Metabolic Rate + Physical Activity Layer + Non-exercise Activity Thermogenisis + Thermal Effect of Food.

So, TDEE = BMR + that Gym Physical Activity Layer (Sedentary, Light Exercise, et al) + NEAT (all the walking that you do, all the house cleaning that you do, all of the 'running around' that you do....) + the cost of digesting food.

That information might be a good start for you......

So, there is your nutritional start. I will let you play with this so that you can learn all about it....both in theory and in how things work for you.

A bulk is going to include two things.....muscle mass and body fat. It is just how that works. And - to simplify - the muscle mass comes from the heavy weight training and the body fat comes from the caloric surplus. So, the amount of body fat that you add will be determined - among other things - by how much of a caloric surplus are are enjoying! Generally speaking, you increase your maintenance calories (again, this is why it is so important to have an idea of that value) by 500 a day. Now, that would work well for someone like me (50yo male, 6'0" @ 208lbs). You might be better served by a 200 calorie a day increase. Or 250 calories. You would need to play with that number to find out what works best for you.

As someone stated, you might not be 'over eating'......you are likely eating to fit your goals. That mind set change will be important....for anyone, but especially for you. Small steps, right?

And, as someone has suggested, you might want to consider different foods. For example, I like sunflower seeds. I/4 cup has 200 Calories, 8g Protein, 6g Carbs, 17g Fats. Really dense food....

Consider Peanut Butter (or Cashew Butter or Almond Butter) as well. Similar macros.

Ah, macros.....Protein, Carbs, Fats. That would be important for you do know and to understand. You caloric intake - whatever it ends up being - will be broken down into Proteins, Carbs and Fats.

So, if you were in a maintenance phase and we used the calories per day from the above, your macro breakdown might look like the following (assuming a Sedentary activity level....so, 1,337 Calories):

100g protein
    52g fats
    117g carbs

That will also be an important part of what you do.

Does this info help you? Or, does it confuse you?

I am hopeful that it points you in the right direction......and helps to cut down on all that noise out there (there is a TON of information available out there).
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A major part of all this is mental. Getting over the mental hurdle of fat gain may take you a time or two doing this. Most including myself under go many bulk/cut cycles.

So if you are progressive overloading your muscles through a proper lifting program, eating ample protein to support your training regime and consuming enough cals to support a bulking goal, just know fat gainz are a good thing cause you are building muscle too.

Doing a very slowish bulk, pretty much recomp (maintenance with a very small cal surplus). Gain experience with lifting, gain experience with dealing with all ins and outs of water weight gain, etc. Work through all the mental hurdles and see where you stand after this fist time. I can almost bet when you gain a few pounds, cut the excess after your first bulk you won't be staying in this 'locked' weight number you have in mind.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    I'd like to add my congratulations to you for addressing your issues. I know it can't be easy, you have come a long way. I would think it would be some time and quite a few more lbs before you start to look to other people as if you have a tummy. Keep on being brave and keep in contact with your health advisers. Wishing you a full recovery.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Ahhh, y’all are wonderful!! I’m not exactly sure where I’d like to be weight-wise.... I’m thinking 105, but I’ve not been in the double- digits in like three years. When I got out of treatmeant, I was 79 lbs! I’m just so scared that my stomach is going to be fat and disgusting and I don’t want to fall back into my old ways of bulimia and anorexia.

Keep on fighting! Especially the idea of “fat and disgusting.” That kind of negative self talk will limit your overall success, physically, mentally and emotionally.

What about finding a really good personal trainer? Someone who can really help you realize your fitness goals? You’ve had professional support you when you kicked you eating disorder’s butt, why not a little help to shape your butt? :smiley:
  • tinytits72
    tinytits72 Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    As someone who is in the midst of self-guided recovery, I seriously recommend reading the following article in regard to how many calories you should be eating:
    https://www.edinstitute.org/blog/2011/9/14/i-need-how-many-calories