I despise diet soda, water is getting boring

Options
I hate diet soda almost as much as I hate yoga. I had a sip of a diet cherry Pepsi this morning, and I can still taste it (despite brushing my teeth twice). I grew up drinking diet stuff, but when I started drinking sugar drinks- there was just no going back! The only way I have been able to stay under my calorie goal is to stay away from the soda, but drinking only water is getting really, really old. Adding Crystal Light is not an option- it still tastes like diet. Splenda does not taste like sugar, so Splenda drinks are a no go as well. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• msmith5251s
    Options
    Tea.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a cordial? or adding a squeeze of lemon?
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Tea.

This. You can get it iced or hot.
    Also:
    Seltzer
    water with lemon or lime squeezed in
    Vitamin water 0
    Sobe Lifewater 0 cals
    Or, just tough it out and drink water.
  • lpeacock06
    lpeacock06 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't like diet either but I like coke zero & pepsi max.....once I got used to it......now I cannot stand a regular coke!! too sweet.
    I bought the kool-aid packets & add a 1/2 to my h20 sometimes....it's low cal.
    I've read that ppl put cucumbers in their water & it taste good...I've never tried it.
  • sarahazen
    Options
    stick with the water....chug it....make it cold....but all that fake crap messes with your brain signals and makes you crave more sweets anyway....evil stuff
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Have you tried carbonated water with any fresh fruit? Not just lemon or lime, but you can add things like fresh sliced strawberries or raspberries.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/MiO

anyone tried this? My boss loves it.
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try "MiO" or "Sugar Free Hawaiian Punch Singles to go!" I prefer the Hawaiin Punch singles, I also discovered that if you mix them and allow them to get cold they taste even better:)
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I like the mio a little pricey, but I do not think it tastes like diet I really like the sweet tea but it comes in a couple of different flavors. Its nice every now and then. Straight water for me for too long gives me heart burn so I like to add this to give me a break.
  • occasionalgypsy
    Options
    Try adding frozen watermelon chunks to your water.
  • av8rblond
    av8rblond Posts: 140
    Options
    I think that you should drink what you want..but honestly log it...it may cost you some foods as you will be over your totals otherwise. I say this simply because you seem to be getting closer to throwing the towel in a little. If you truly love sugary drinks then try maybe watering them down or "treating" yourself to a glass every few days as a reward.

I am of the mind that if you deprive yourself and put it on the NEVER AGAIN list, then that is all you want. Hence my face plants off the healthy band wagon in the past..

This is just my own opinion...
  • Kelly4877
    Kelly4877 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing when I'm craving something sweet is the sugar free grape Hawaiian Punch powder stix. Keep in mind I HATE diet soda, anything artificially sweet, etc. This is the only thing I have found that I like. It has a very strong grape flavor so if grape isn't your thing then nevermind ;) The stick is 10 calories, no carbs, etc... I like to add it to a bottle of water and partially freeze. Just like a slushie!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    http://www.facebook.com/MiO

anyone tried this? My boss loves it.

Yes I like it a little pricey $3.99 per container but it gives you 24 servings. I really like the sweet tea one I tried the peach mango but it has a strange after taste. Its worth trying.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Frankly, it sounds like you're asking a little much. You're bored with water but can't abide any other zero-calorie drink. You need to compromise somewhere or suck it up and stick with water.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    tight:glasses:

I :heart: this.
  • Kelly4877
    Kelly4877 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Try "MiO" or "Sugar Free Hawaiian Punch Singles to go!" I prefer the Hawaiin Punch singles, I also discovered that if you mix them and allow them to get cold they taste even better:)
    I just posted the same thing. :) They are the best! I like the grape stix and the red Mio. Sooooo good frozen!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'd second (third?) the tea suggestion. You wouldn't believe the variety of flavors out there, once you get to looking. There are people who are tea afficionados & can tell the difference between leaves from different places, just like all these wine experts.

Personally, I like Earl Grey, hot. ;-)
  • Army_Nurse
    Options
    Coke Zero is by far one of the best tasting diet sodas. It's a much better taste than Diet Coke, which has a strong after taste. If I'm stuck with Diet Coke, then I will ask for a lemon wedge to squize and drop in. The lemon really cuts the bitter after taste. Also regular Fresca (grapefruit soda) has a very fruity taste with little if any after taste. Once you get used to Coke Zero, then you might find out that you will like Sprite Zero and Diet Seven-Up too. It seems like any of the citrus based diet sodas has less after taste.

Homemade ice tea is always a good choice.
  • ChelseyL1015
    Options
    You should try the calorie free, sugar free Powerade!!! It's amazing and only 98 cents a bottle at Wal-Mart with all different flavors!!! I think it's kinda high in sodium tho so you can't drink it constantly but it'll take the edge off :) Also Minute Maid Light is awesome :)
  • amandarenee31
    amandarenee31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Iced green tea is my savior. I add Stevia (or Truvia which is the generic version) which is the only natural sweetener out there with zero calories. You could also try adding lemon and use Stevia with that.

Do NOT drink anything out there with Aspartame or any other form of it. When that stuff reaches 87 degrees Fahrenheit, it is converted into Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is the chemical that funeral homes and taxidermists use to embalm bodies and dead animals. The stuff is extremely toxic. Do you really want to be ingesting that stuff? My mom and I have completely gotten rid of absolutely any foods and drinks containing that.