Antibiotics and Weight Loss Journey

Options
So I'm finally ending a 10 day round of antibiotics for a cold that turned into a sinus infection early this month. I noticed that I have been struggling to drop weight in a way that feels a bit unusual over the past couple of weeks. I figured maybe it's that I haven't been diligent with what I'm eating and so I've buckled down and I've been back into my amped up routine lately. Nothing is moving. I drink a gallon of water a day and so I am used to that flushing out water retention but it seems that antibiotics have some correlation to weight loss and weight gain. Any tips on how long after antibiotics before your body got back to normal? What did you do to move the process along quicker?

Currently:
Strict nutrition plan
2x day exercise (hiit fasted cardio, weight training, and a 2 mile walk on lunch)
gallon of water
extra sleep

any other tips? Not sure I can up my water intake anymore than where it already is.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The infection will affect the way your body reacts. I've never heard of antibiotics cause weight gain or lack of loss. Even if they do, it's only been 10 days, and they will continue to work for several more days. Your self-admitted lack of diligence in tracking is the problem, and it can take a few days to a week to see the results of tightening up. The point in your monthly cycle can affect it too. And it can take weeks for an infection to fully resolve and your body to get functioning normally again. The main thing you can do is stick to your plan and be diligent about WEIGHING and logging your food. Give it a couple more weeks and see what happens. Hope you feel better soon!
  • missjazminenicole
    missjazminenicole Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The infection will affect the way your body reacts. I've never heard of antibiotics cause weight gain or lack of loss. Even if they do, it's only been 10 days, and they will continue to work for several more days. Your self-admitted lack of diligence in tracking is the problem, and it can take a few days to a week to see the results of tightening up. The point in your monthly cycle can affect it too. And it can take weeks for an infection to fully resolve and your body to get functioning normally again. The main thing you can do is stick to your plan and be diligent about WEIGHING and logging your food. Give it a couple more weeks and see what happens. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for the feedback! I've lost between 50-60lbs so far without weighing but I'm thinking about going to weighing if I start having a hard time losing for any extensive length of time. I have about 20 or so to go. Meal prepping has been really helpful and that makes me think weighing might be the next logical progression. Maybe time to get a food scale soon.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think the food scale will do wonders for u. Now that you are down so much weight, your margin for error is much smaller, hence the suggestion to improve the accuracy of your food logging. You won’t regret it!