first marathon any tips.

Options
1235»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    I only have one tip. Don't have a heart attack.
    A former colleague who was a life runner, built like a marathoner, high school and college track.
    At the age of 31, he was running a half marathon. He died jyst a couple hundred yards from finishing. Cardiac arrest. Never had any previous heart problems. Always ate healthful foods.

Train well. Be well

unfortunately it not that uncommon for people to drop down dead, marathon runners or not. at least he was doing something he enjoyed when he died.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    A former colleague who was a life runner, built like a marathoner, high school and college track.
    At the age of 31, he was running a half marathon. He died jyst a couple hundred yards from finishing. Cardiac arrest. Never had any previous heart problems. Always ate healthful foods.

I was doing some work about four years ago related to cardiac indicators in recruitment for strenuous employment. Essentially forecasting of fitness for military employment.

A very small proportion of the population are at risk of an unforeseeable cardiac event, with pre-assessment indicators doing nothing to reduce the risk. Fitness activity does nothing to affect the inherent risk, but it becomes newsworthy when the event takes place in an activity.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »
    Side note....
    Ugh. I'm running my first marathon on October 15. I've trained quite a bit for it (at least I think I have). Longest run I've done is 20 and I can already see where that statement came from. I was over it at 18 and am still wrapping my head around 6 MORE MILES!!

I will say that the race "environment" helps a lot with this. I'd say doing 20 on a training run, out there solo, with very little to distract you, and on a course you've probably run lots of times, is, IMO, just as mentally tough as doing the 26.2 on race day. There are a lot of distractions and support and things to look at on a race course that help a great deal with the mental grind that is such a large part of endurance running.

So @pzarnosky you got this!
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options

Train well. Be well

unfortunately it not that uncommon for people to drop down dead, marathon runners or not. at least he was doing something he enjoyed when he died.

Not much fun for the wife and baby left behind though.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Train well. Be well

Not much fun for the wife and baby left behind though.

Nope
  • Bradleydagen
    Bradleydagen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Your friend is no friend at all, if she has run several marathons at 420-430 pace she knows too well that 1. You will not keep up 2. You are very likely not to finish, this may kill your motivation for the future 3. You will injure yourself
    There's a real chance you will do real damage, over training causes injuries, doing a marathon without training is nuts doing it without base miles is ludicrous.

My advice
    1. do not do it
    2. Find a new friend

Exactly what this guy said. You have no idea how ridiculously long this run is. A half is a far cry from a full, my friend.
  • gabemartinez921
    gabemartinez921 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Dont trust a fart
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @pzarnosky Fabulous finish line photo! You look great.