Weekly weigh in vs daily

Options
2»

Replies

• sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I was obsessed with weighing in everyday and it did affect my overall mood for the day if the scale didn't read the way I hoped it would....I realized quickly that in order to keep my sanity I had to stop weighing in everday.

I now only weigh myself once a month. I can tell by my clothes that I am continuing to lose weight. By using MFP daily and being accountable with my eating and exercising, I figure I am doing okay. :) Everyone has their own methods, me and the scale just never became good friends lol...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    To those of you who question my "self esteem" comment....why do you feel the need to micro-manage your weight on the scales everyday or several times a day? It's not healthy nor is it best form of measuring your success. When we lose weight with the help of exercise our shapes change too. If you are doing exercise you will be building muscle. If you weigh yourself everyday, the moment your weight stays the same or goes up, what happens...negativity sets in, in some form or another. Why put yourself through that if so many of you are wanting to lose weight for a life change, not just a short term goal? I've been there myself, it's not healthy and most fitness professional will agree with me on that as I've had several trainers on different occassions say the same thing. Can you believe this, people actually weigh themselves at the gym BEFORE and AFTER a work....it's not good! Give yourselves a break and take the pressure off you :)

It's a personal preference. Some people shower daily, some people shower multiple times daily and some people shower every other day. No particular way is better or worse than any other, as long as it makes the person making the choice happy.

I only get negative when my weight stays the same for 4+ weeks, so please speak for yourself.
  • gurlondrums
    Options
    I don't see a problem with weighing in every day. I was doing it weekly (or forgot and did it bi-weekly) and I slacked on my food and exercise plans. Seeing what it is every day doesn't discourage me, it just keeps me in check. I gotta make sure I'm not back at my starting weight. I think whatever you're comfortable with that doesn't drive you crazy is what's right for you. Once a day, once a week, some people weigh once a month. Whatever helps you and doesn't hinder you. Cheers!
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You have got my back up now which takes a lot to be honest, there seems to be a complete massive stick up your ar*e - sadly, I have no idea why. When questions are posted on here, people ask for feedback and their opinion in order to help them relate to one another. I gave that yet you feel the need to tell me what to do. I used to weigh myself everyday, I know the anxieties attached to that and it's not good. Why do I say it's not good, through experience and talking to other people and sharing our experiences and feelings. This is why I've advised Mike not to do it to help him on his healthy journey to where he needs to be.
    To those of you who question my "self esteem" comment....why do you feel the need to micro-manage your weight on the scales everyday or several times a day? It's not healthy nor is it best form of measuring your success. When we lose weight with the help of exercise our shapes change too. If you are doing exercise you will be building muscle. If you weigh yourself everyday, the moment your weight stays the same or goes up, what happens...negativity sets in, in some form or another. Why put yourself through that if so many of you are wanting to lose weight for a life change, not just a short term goal? I've been there myself, it's not healthy and most fitness professional will agree with me on that as I've had several trainers on different occassions say the same thing. Can you believe this, people actually weigh themselves at the gym BEFORE and AFTER a work....it's not good! Give yourselves a break and take the pressure off you :)

It's a personal preference. Some people shower daily, some people shower multiple times daily and some people shower every other day. No particular way is better or worse than any other, as long as it makes the person making the choice happy.

I only get negative when my weight stays the same for 4+ weeks, so please speak for yourself.
  • allroundthesun
    Options
    If you weigh yourself everyday, the moment your weight stays the same or goes up, what happens...negativity sets in, in some form or another.

I appreciate you dictating to me what *I* feel, thanks. :huh:

I weigh myself almost every morning because it keeps me accountable. If I overate a bunch of crap the night before, I have to look at the result, and that has a really positive impact on my willpower not to eat in a way that isn't healthful on a regular basis. And if I've been eating healthfully for a consistent period, I can see the gradual drop happening and feel empowered by seeing it, and I therefore like to see it more frequently. Different things work for different people; there is nothing objectively right or wrong about weighing oneself daily, it's a matter of whether it's a positive thing or not for the individual, and for me, it is. Amazingingly, I'm capable of understanding that plateaus and upward fluctations are normal and not indicative of the big picture, and am therefore not alarmed or discouraged when they happen.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I was quick to realise, at the beginning when I expected a loss every day, that if I've gained 2 lbs overnight it does NOT mean I've eaten 7000 calories without realising and put on 2 lbs of fat... it can only be water weight.

I will agree that some people will be discouraged by gains on the scale. The difference for me is that seeing a gain on the scale overnight is NOT a problem, but if for some reason I saw a gain on the scale after waiting an entire week... well that's more likely to throw me off balance. If you weigh weekly there is a *lot* riding on the result, whereas if you weigh daily - well there's always tomorrow!
  • Shishkeberry
    Shishkeberry Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Helenium I feel the same way. Seeing gains doesn't bother me. But waiting a whole week would make me nervous.
  • GenerationD05
    Options
    I'd forget to weigh every day (and I have already) I record my weight every Monday but since I just started my weight loss journey I'm checking a couple times a week, around 2 or 3. I'm just curious to see how I'm being affected by what I'm doing.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    We all know that weekly is likely to be more accurate than daily. When I started off with the weight loss I weighed weekly. But as weigh ins gave me such a confidence boost I changed that to daily. The difficulty comes when the weight hasn't gone down, it can be really disheartening. Even if you know that it's the weekly one that counts it's really hard not to let a bad weight wreck my confidence or my plans.

Just tried a daily weigh in today to check I was on track and I've put on 2lbs, hopefully it will sort itself out by my weekly weigh.

Actually, weekly isn't likely to be more accurate than daily. How can fewer data points give you more information? It would be most accurate to record your weight at the same time each day and then take an average for the week. (Or take a rolling average of your past five or seven weigh-ins - that 's what I do, it helps give me a better picture of my weight loss) :)

To the OP and others: As a few people have already said, there's no 'right answer' to this question. Do what works for you. If daily weigh-ins freak you out, don't weigh daily. But there's no need to harp on the people who choose this method. It really is a personal preference.
  • arkenny
    arkenny Posts: 125
    Options
    i wiegh myself everyday i work....but i only log it once a week
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    I read that studies show that people who frequently weigh tend to be thinner. I'm not saying frequent weighing will make you thin, but the constant reminder of what you weigh can be a deterrant. I personally weigh every day or every few days. While it can go up and down, it tends to trend, and I always weigh at the same time every morning. GL!