CARB CYCLING???

Options
Can anybody help me out here ... I'm on healthy eating at the moment before I hit the gym hard I need to get to grips with my food first..

I just can't get my head around it?

Carb cycling.. and counting macros?? ...

Sorry to be vague but any help is much appreciated !!! X

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Are you asking whether you need to carb cycle ahead of a workout?

If so then, no.
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Carb cycling isnt really necessary at all. You'll be fine just sticking to your macros.
  • FlowerPower8579
    FlowerPower8579 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks for the help!
    I'm already in a caloric deficit diet, which is on track
  • FlowerPower8579
    FlowerPower8579 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    "Healthy eating", carb cycling, and counting macros do little for weight reduction, if that is your goal. Only a caloric deficit will accomplish that. :)

Not just weight reduction building muscle is important for me to - ⬆️muscle mass=⬆️calories burned
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    "Healthy eating", carb cycling, and counting macros do little for weight reduction, if that is your goal. Only a caloric deficit will accomplish that. :)

Not just weight reduction building muscle is important for me to - ⬆️muscle mass=⬆️calories burned

i have no idea what that means, punctuation may help?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    - ⬆️muscle mass=⬆️calories burned

The contribution of increased lean mass to increased calorie consumption is so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.

As you're in deficit already it's lost in the noise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Building muscle makes such a tiny difference to your resting calorie needs (about 6 cals per pound) that it's not a valid or good reason to build muscle.
    There's loads of far better reasons like health, strength, looking great, feeling great!
    Movement = calories burned is far more relevant. Both building activity into your daily routine as well as purposeful exercise.

No you don't need to calorie cycle that's just a needless complication.
    I increase carbs while I'm out cycling for hours though. ;)

Counting macros is far less important then finding a healthy diet that meets your calorie goals but keeping an eye on meeting or exceeding the protein goal while cutting is generally beneficial. It's your calorie balance that drives weight loss.

PS - you will find loads of helpful sticky threads at the top of each forum, well worth having a read.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I carb/ cal cycle - it helps me make progress with out gaining fat. I eat most of my carbs and more cals around a workout when they are needed & less on non- training days. example - today after work I will train - full body workout w/ squats - I will eat some carbs at lunch & more pre & post workout. yesterday was a non training day with low carbs - Eastcoast Jim