Disappointed in my progress

Options
So... 3 weeks ago today i started with a personal trainer on a 6 week plan which incorporates diet and exercise. Start weight was 130lbs. Week 1 i lost 3.5, week 2 i lost 1.5 and this week... nothing! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. My "normal" weight is around 115-120 (I'm wanting to lose my baby weight from having my second child last year), so i expected to drop down 2lbs a week pretty easily like after i had my fist child. I eat very healthily, weigh my food, cook everything from scratch, don't add salt, drink plenty of water etc and have had no cheat days in the last couple of weeks. I eat between 1200-1400 cals per day and exercise 5 days per week doing a mix of cardio, core and weights. I do tend to eat back some of my exercise calories or have a protein shake after but never really go above 1500 total. I'm going for my 4th session with the trainer tonight and each time i log my weight and i'm disappointed not to have anything to show for a week of really hard work :( any help, suggestions or motivation much appreciated x

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    May I ask two questions? 1. Why pay a trainer when you can log into mfi where you will get genuine deficit advice and log calories? 2. Why don't you add salt?
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    May I ask two questions? 1. Why pay a trainer when you can log into mfi where you will get genuine deficit advice and log calories? 2. Why don't you add salt?

I guess it was for the motivation to kick start me into getting fit again. I didn't just want to lose weight, I wanted to get toned and strong again which I know takes time. I don't completely avoid salt, I just don't add it into my cooking. I'll use things like soy sauce with stir frying etc, I thought using added salt in cooking would lead to water retention?
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options

I guess it was for the motivation to kick start me into getting fit again. I didn't just want to lose weight, I wanted to get toned and strong again which I know takes time. I don't completely avoid salt, I just don't add it into my cooking. I'll use things like soy sauce with stir frying etc, I thought using added salt in cooking would lead to water retention?

Too low salt also causes low blood pressure. Normal water retention is healthy. Our body is 70pc water after all.
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    Thank you, maybe I'm being to hard on myself. With 2 kids to look after as well as diet and exercise I'm probably more active than I think and maybe need to adjust my goal to 1lb per week (which I'd be happy with). I'm not the most patient person in the world (so my husband tells me!) so I might be expecting too much too soon?
  • kirstens1984
    Options
    misnomer1 wrote: »

Too low salt also causes low blood pressure. Normal water retention is healthy. Our body is 70pc water after all.

I didn't actually realise that. My BP has always been relatively low, but very low in pregnancy...
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,107 Member
    Options
    Thank you, maybe I'm being to hard on myself. With 2 kids to look after as well as diet and exercise I'm probably more active than I think and maybe need to adjust my goal to 1lb per week (which I'd be happy with). I'm not the most patient person in the world (so my husband tells me!) so I might be expecting too much too soon?

You will be struggling even with 1lb per week more than likely. The lowest recommended intake for a woman is 1200 calories per day to get adequate nutrition and energy, to lose 1lb per week you'd need a 500 calorie deficit, you most likely aren't going to get that at your weight without undereating.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    You have lost 5lbs in 3 weeks! you don't have much to lose so 0.5-1 lb per week is a more reasonable and a healthier expectation.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options

Yes you are. Be happy to lose the weight a bit slower - you'll not feel deprived or lack energy because you'll be fuelling your body better and you'll be more likely to keep the weight off. Think long term not short term.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the only thing you are doing wrong is expecting too much too fast. Dropping 2lbs/week "pretty easily" isn't really a thing, at least not for most people.
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Don't let a number on a scale have that kind of control over you. Meticulously log your caloric intake, conservatively monitor your caloric burns (just don't overestimate), and reasonably manage your deficit . The weight will come off.
  • pjbarclay55
    pjbarclay55 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gained 15lbs in 2 weeks when I started back at the gym. Look up glycogen. Glycogen is what filling up your muscles, and when that happens it includes lots of water.

"glycogen is bound to four grams of water.This means that when your liver and muscles are charged up with glycogen you gain four times the weight of that glycogen in water."

Im pretty sure though that your goal is probably to loose FAT not weight. Which scales arn't going to help for awhile if you just started working out. Took me 2 months before the scale started moving again. But I've gotten a lot leaner looking in the mirror.
  • ripper4998
    ripper4998 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Remember its a marathon not a sprint. If you expect to get where you want in a month time frame thats the wrong mentality. At your weight, 5 lbs in three weeks is phenomenal.
  • gita9999
    gita9999 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're exercising then you'll need to have some salt in your diet so don't worry about cutting it out altogether.