Sandwich Free Work Lunch Ideas

Options
DellyC93
DellyC93 Posts: 2 Member
Hi!

I'm hoping I can get some inspiration from everyone on here. I am looking to get some nutritious lunch ideas that are not sandwiches as I'm not a big bread eater. I've been eating salads so far but they of course get boring real quick!

My workplace only has a kettle - no microwave *groan*. So I can't even re-heat last nights stir frys etc!

Does anyone have any ideas or tips they can share? :)

Much appreciated!!

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    When I make dinner for me and my husband, I cook enough for 3 portions so we have dinner for that night and I have lunch for the next day :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I usually have leftovers...but I also have a microwave. When I was microwaveless, it was usually sandwiches or salads or soups/stews in a thermos in the winter.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    If you don't like bread you could do lettuce wraps (sandwich ingredients wrapped in lettuce). Bean based salads are a good alternative when you are tired of greens.

I also agree with above suggestions for getting a good thermos for taking hot foods. If the food is nice and hot when it goes in, it should be plenty warm at lunch time.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Nussbary wrote: »
    you can pick up old microwaves for cheap. bring in your own and put it under your desk, then you've solved the bigger problem! in parallel, explore meal prepping this works for me.

While I did suggest buying a microwave if allowed, I'm gonna suggest NOT doing this without asking first. Microwaves are huge power draws, and you could risk blowing a fuse/tripping a breaker (especially if any other employees are using electric heaters on the same breaker).
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    dklibert wrote: »
    I don't own one but Hot Logic is a lunch bag you can plug in and warm a meal prep container.

I found the video I saw about the Hot Logic. The Fit Couple Cooks does tons of meal prep and they recommend it.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=6bfmefjupu4
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I don't own one but Hot Logic is a lunch bag you can plug in and warm a meal prep container.

I found the video I saw about the Hot Logic. The Fit Couple Cooks does tons of meal prep and they recommend it.
    I recently bought one for my last trip. They're absolutely amazing. If you like warm Foods, I highly recommend buying one or a portable slow cooker and just plug it in your office. The good thing about the hot logic is that your food doesn't smell
  • laurenmjenkin
    laurenmjenkin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi! I try to reduce bread in my day because I love it too much! So for lunches, I have to be a bit organised: rivita biscuits (wrapped seperate), with a mini container of cottage cheese for low fat, or mashed egg for protein that I put in a lunch container of things like lettuce, spinich leaves, sliced cucumber, tomato, grated carrot, beetroot, what ever you want. Another thing I do is low gi high protein salads or dahl made with canned chickpeas, bean mix, lentils (vege and salad vege) with maybe a spice or pepper or squeeze of lemon, maybe a little yoghurt where fitting. Orrrr nutrisoy spicy tofu and salad. Low carbs, low cal, low GI YUM
  • DellyC93
    DellyC93 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I didn't realise I already had so many replies to this thread haha.

This looks amazing! I'll have to look bit further in to this!
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Nussbary wrote: »
    you can pick up old microwaves for cheap. bring in your own and put it under your desk, then you've solved the bigger problem! in parallel, explore meal prepping this works for me.

While I did suggest buying a microwave if allowed, I'm gonna suggest NOT doing this without asking first. Microwaves are huge power draws, and you could risk blowing a fuse/tripping a breaker (especially if any other employees are using electric heaters on the same breaker).

We've already tried to get a microwave in our office but apparently some people have complained it would make the office smell!! We have an open plan office so no separate kitchen room or anything. Such is my luck...
    I pack leftovers in a thermos for my child. Stays hot until lunch.

I genuinely never considered using a thermos for anything other than tea or soup - this is a great tip!

Thank you everyone :)
  • anniee1
    anniee1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make soups in bulk. Most freeze really well. Then heat a potion in the morning and use a flask. I don’t like eating bread in the middle of the day so avoid sandwiches and now in the UK it’s getting colder I want something more than a salad. Plus soups can be so diverse, always lots of flavors and you can hide extra veg in them :)
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,282 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The portable slow cooker or Hot Logic is your answer. You may be limited by the size of the portable slow cooker. I find the size a little too limiting for some of my meal. I will be replacing it by the Hot Logic.
    I use the Thermos (may have to look for the right size) for my kids. Warm the food to a safe point and it is still a bit warm they are ready to eat.
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Make some shrimp wraps! Boil some shrimp in some water with spices you like and bring with you in a Tupperware along with whole wheat tortillas, spinach leaves, tomato slices, a little sprinkle cheese and a tiny bit of ranch. Shrimp is so good cold. Especially done up in a wrap!
  • aganey
    aganey Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I like to keep ready made bacon handy to it n them too but they require a microwave :(
  • trcrane
    trcrane Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    check out Bento Box lunches - lot's of options.
  • LauraTzu
    LauraTzu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the hotlogic minis. They're wonderful. I've been doing the meal prep, so, I just put my lunch container in the morning when I'm leaving the house and the hot logic bag acts as a 'cooler' until I'm ready to heat my lunch. Just plug it in about an hour before I'm ready to eat, and the food is hot & yummy. I plug it in in my office - there is no smell with lidded containers. If you go to the hotlogicmini website, and use the code 'fitcouplecooks' at check out, you save 20%. To me, they're worth it - and cheaper than a microwave.