Weight loss unnoticeable?

My weight was around 91kg (200 pounds) when I decided to lose weight. Scale says I weigh around 86kg (190 pounds) now but I don't notice difference in belly fat or butt-fat. I am starting to worry that all my hard work won't pay off.
176cm (5'9) 19 year old male.

Replies

• bisky
    bisky Posts: 953 Member
    Did you measure your waist before you started? How do your clothes feel?
  • mer55
    mer55 Posts: 28 Member
    Picture what 10 lbs of butter looks like. That is your loss. Sometimes it takes more than those 1st 10 to start noticing changes. I was squeezing into my clothes before I started losing, so it took more than 10 lbs to start to feel the bigger size. However, a loss is a loss. Just keep looking ahead. And yes, it most definitely pay off!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    IMO 10 lbs of weight loss is very challenging, but not that noticeable like 20-30 lbs would probably be. I feel your pain.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    toxikon wrote: »
    Losing weight is like unrolling a roll of toilet paper... you don't notice how little is left until it's almost gone.
    What a wonderful analogy, the best I've seen! :)

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    I think it shows in ones face first, I realised my DiL was losing weight because her face was so much thinner, then I noticed the rest of her.
  • lostsomeweightonce
    lostsomeweightonce Posts: 23 Member
    edited October 2017
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    ahmedmaa wrote: »
    My weight was around 91kg (200 pounds) when I decided to lose weight. Scale says I weigh around 86kg (190 pounds) now but I don't notice difference in belly fat or butt-fat. I am starting to worry that all my hard work won't pay off.
    176cm (5'9) 19 year old male.

Unfortunately, early weight loss isn't always noticeable...and it doesn't come off from our "problem" areas like we'd like. I lost a total of 40 Lbs and my gut didn't look much different until I was into my last 10 Lbs as that is my primary fat stores...first on, last off. Most of my early weight loss was from my extremities...so I noticed things like my wedding ring getting loser and whatnot way before I noticed anything else.

The first place I noticed weight loss was in my feet - a couple of pairs of strappy heels fit instead of being uncomfortable, and I was able to switch from nylons to socks in a couple of pairs of boots. I definitely did not decide to lose weight because I thought my feet needed slimming down!

Thats Awesome! I think my shoes are all to big to have noticed it in my feet. Mine was my fingers, wedding ring fit again.
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Some of the initial weight loss could be water rather than fat, especially if you cut carbs.
  • jasummers76
    jasummers76 Posts: 225 Member
    The thing I deal with after lossing nearly 100 pounds is I still at times see the 350 pound person in the mirror. Yes my clothes are lose, my lab tests are better, wife says she notices especially in my face but I do not. It is all in my head and I know that but knowing that still doesn't always make me feel good about the progress I have made just that I still have another 70 to lose.
  • cryonic_273
    cryonic_273 Posts: 81 Member
    I just went from 100kg to 90kg - the belly fat is only just starting to show reductions. However I feel massively better. I feel more energised, less out of breath , less bloated. I can even run a bit again.

Visceral fat ( in the abdomen) is likely to go first - and is not really visible- this is the dangerous fat around your organs. The belly fat will be the last to go but you will start making reductions on that after the more easily accessible fat has already been scavenged.

Just keep it up and it will shift.
  • rayleroy27
    rayleroy27 Posts: 9 Member
    Cryonic, thank-you for posting. I was very disappointed in photos taken at my daughter's sorority event. I have gone from 245 to 218 (5'10") and still have a pot belly. It has motivated me to continue to my weight loss goal. My blood work was all normal last week, which was a huge win.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i started at 260. it wasnt until around the 200 mark that i could see the changes MYSELF, and then, it was only in PHOTOS.
  • heycherylann
    heycherylann Posts: 2 Member
    You should take pictures so you can compare them. I lost 26 pounds (at one point) and never noticed a difference looking in the mirror.. then I compared pictures. Huge morale booster to see how far you've come.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    There's a saying.. you won't notice until 30-40lbs and others won't notice until 60-70lbs (I guess because clothes hide a lot?). 10lbs is not enough for anyone but the scale to notice :) Progress is progress and it will all start adding up!