To Fitbit Or Not To Fitbit - That is the Question....

Options
2»

Replies

• rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I recently started wearing my Fitbit again. I knew I'd started slacking on activity so it was helpful for me to see how little I was actually walking everyday. I had stopped wearing it when I started doing a lot of exercise that wasn't step based (swimming, biking, strength training) because not getting 10,000 steps in a day was discouraging, even if I knew I'd biked 20 miles. But for the past 3 months I've been super lazy and not really doing any exercise so I'm hoping it will be a motivator again.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is a personal preference but I find it pushes me to get up and moving more. I dont necessarily use it for the calorie count, but to see how many steps I am doing, how active I am, and my sleep pattern.
  • bellaesprita000
    bellaesprita000 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I also have a Fitbit that I love. But its personal preference really. May be a good idea to do some research on the different brands and types of watches they offer. Then go to a Best Buy-type store and check them out in person.
  • VoodooChile76
    VoodooChile76 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    As others have said... Preference.. I had a Fitbit for like 4 yrs. Did well, but was highly inaccurate at times. Now have a Garmin forerunner 230.. does well & works with MFP. Just use what works for you & keeps you motivated!
  • beaglady
    beaglady Posts: 1,362 Member
    Options
    I find it helpful. I work in an office, and have a long commute, so my MFP is set to sedentary. If I can walk enough to get up to lightly active or active, I get to eat more.
  • harryt678
    harryt678 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Glad that this topic has been posted, I've been toying with the idea of getting a fitness tracker but still convincing myself if I'll use it or if it'll collect dust (because of the battery life and me not wanting to charge it or forgetting to keep it charged). Not to hijack the thread but is there an app that does almost the same thing as a fitbit (keeps track of steps taken, miles walked, calories burned)?
  • jasonlangdon74
    jasonlangdon74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If your gym routine includes a stationary bike or heavy weight lifting, I recommend wearing a fitness tracker that records heart rate and and calories as opposed to foot steps. I personally have a Fitbit Charge HR that I use for weight lifting which, obviously, records my heart rate, converts it into calories burned, and then syncs it to MFP to give me exercise calories to eat.
  • jasonlangdon74
    jasonlangdon74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    harryt678 wrote: »
    Glad that this topic has been posted, I've been toying with the idea of getting a fitness tracker but still convincing myself if I'll use it or if it'll collect dust (because of the battery life and me not wanting to charge it or forgetting to keep it charged). Not to hijack the thread but is there an app that does almost the same thing as a fitbit (keeps track of steps taken, miles walked, calories burned)?

Trackers that track foot steps and calories without tracking your actual heart rate are basing your calories burned upon the number of steps you've taken. If you've been riding a stationary bike, most trackers won't record any steps and therefore it won't show that you've burned any calories.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Trackers that track foot steps and calories without tracking your actual heart rate are basing your calories burned upon the number of steps you've taken. If you've been riding a stationary bike, most trackers won't record any steps and therefore it won't show that you've burned any calories.

And trackers that record your HR are going to wildly overestimate your burns.
  • glubben
    glubben Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I don't use it to track calories, I just feel like it keeps me honest with how much I'm moving in a day. I always try to get 10 to 15k steps a day.
  • AidenT94
    AidenT94 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just got my Charge 2 HR today from Best Buy (gift to myself for losing 15 pounds!), and I already love it. The reminders to move are extremely helpful, as is the heart rate function. Today is my day off of the gym, so I don't know how well it does there, but I'm hopeful. :D
    PS: If any one is curious, you can download the FitBit app for free, and it'll act as a pedometer when you have your phone on you and tell you approximately how many calories you burned.
  • Heather_J_May
    Heather_J_May Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I've got a Fitbit Charge and its so useful. You will really enjoy using it!
  • EsmeMary101
    EsmeMary101 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I switch between a Polar a370 and a Garmin vivo hr plus and I love the stats and wearing one definitely makes me more active.

I bought one for my husband who was fairly inactive as far as specific exercise and he's started running because of it.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    glubben wrote: »
    I love mine, I don't use it to track calories, I just feel like it keeps me honest with how much I'm moving in a day. I always try to get 10 to 15k steps a day.

+1
    I love my fitbit. I only really track it for steps and to keep me moving throught the day!
  • mtbusse73
    mtbusse73 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    NikkiJRM wrote: »
    I had the same question last year, and read some opinion pieces on why they weren't necessary and skipped out. I just got a FitBit Charge 2 last week, and for me it's a real eye opener to see how active I am, or and how active I'm not. Health and activity isn't only dependent on your gym routine, but also how active you are throughout the day. On Saturday I spent literally an entire day food prepping and cooking. My HR was elevated the entire day. I also really like the sleep insights.

If you're really on the fence and want to try before buying, check out http://www.lumoid.com You can rent different trackers and see if it's for you, or which one you like best.

I just ordered me one yesterday.....are you still liking yours?
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I am very happy with my Charge 2. If you're looking for a perfectly accurate measure of your burns, this isn't for you. You get what I consider a decent estimate. It keeps me motivated.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I put a cheap tracker on my Christmas list. I think I may put in enough steps to make a difference and if I don't, it will likely motivate me to start doing that.
  • twobyflor
    twobyflor Posts: 25 Member
    Options

The health app on my iPhone tracks steps, stairs, and distance. MFP tracks calories. There’s probably a way to connect the two so you can have everything synched.