Need help boosting metabolism

Options

Replies

• BrityKitty
    BrityKitty Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't know how the body works... I mean apparently I have been doing weight loss all wrong by eating way less then I'm supposed to so now I'm going to eat more And see if it works. When I figure out how to eat more I will update everyone right here if it makes me lose or gain!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    BrityKitty wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    You simply couldn't be maintaining your weight at 240lbs by eating 700 calories a day.
    Even if you lay in bed all day do nothing you would be losing weight rapidly.

Making your diary public would help.

Like I said before this is why I got on this subject with my doctor. That was the very first point i made is i should be losing something by Eating little to nothing every day And she told me im not eating enough and that's why im not loosing weight
    Either your doctor is talking BS, or you misunderstood her, or you're making things up. Losing weight is all about eating less. The less you eat, the more you lose.
    i am severly unhealthy from not eating i have vitamin deficiencies my hair falls out to where i think im going bald my nails are thin And brittle my skin is *kitten*
    You can have deficiencies while eating too many calories. You have to look at the quality of your diet, too. A balanced and varied diet should provide you with all the nutrients you need, to feel strong and energized, and daily cell repair.
    I'm not saying I don't suffer from not eating i just don't want to eat more And start gaining more weight... I just want advice on how to get more calories without gaining more weight.
    You are not going to gain more weight if you eat the amount of calories MFP suggests to lose 1-2 pounds per week. The thing is that YOU ARE EATING MORE THAN YOU THINK or you HAVEN'T EATEN LESS FOR LONG ENOUGH TO SEE THE EFFECT.
    And even if I knew how to make my diary public it won't let me submit my log because it's not at 1000 so it won't be public and then I'm just gonna get accused of not filling it out.
    It won't get posted on your feed - your diary can still be viewed if you set it to public.

Have you tried comparing what you eat to what an appropriate amount of calories looks like? Do that: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/1500-calories-look-like-infographic/

Yes!!!! Thank you so much everyone needs to look at this!!! Pay close attention to what approximately 800 calories looks like!!!! I'm not starving that is a lot of *kitten* food!!!!

you're completely missing the point though... only eating 800 calories would make you lose weight, regardless of how much food it looks like....

Aaaaannnndddd we are back where we started. Why do you think I went to the doctor and asked her for help to loose weight!!!! Idk if you are asking me to answer this question for you because I tried that and I'm lying and my doctor doesn't know what she's talking about... And if you are trying to answer it for me well I just lie about how much I eat so problem solved

doctors do a couple of hours on nutrition type stuff in all their training, so yes, a doctor may well not really know what their talking about.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much
    Yes.
    I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off.
    And that is the takeaway message from this conversation?
    I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me.
    It matches malnutrition. You are overlooking the fact that you are obese. This means that you're NOT eating too few calories.
    I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight???
    We care because we are caring and compassionate people.
    I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories
    If you add shakes to what you're already eating, you'll gain more weight.
    I cannot stomach eating
    Then how did you become overweight, how come you don't lose weight?
    no one knows me or my medical history
    You're still not exempt from the laws of physics.
    if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment
    It's just that you're not going to increase your metabolism - well, you can increase physical activity, but I have a feeling that's not what you're talking about.
    if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it
    How has being passive aggressive and dismissive been working for you so far?
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off. I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me. I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight??? I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories I cannot stomach eating no one knows me or my medical history if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it

please can you explain, using your logic, how a person starves to death?

By starving.... If you looked at the chart posted in another comment you would see what 700 calories looks like. I'm not starving im eating two meals worth of healthy food a day. and that's a lot of food hence why I think its b.s. that I have to eat even more to be able to lose weight therefore giving me the impression I will gain weight from eating more then I do... Now where i am more than likely messing up is I'm eating that amount in one sitting and snacking...
    That picture shows 1500 calories, not 700. This is making my mind go "trollololool", but to repeat, and maybe rephrase - no, you're not going to eat more. You're going to eat fewer calories, and more nutritious food. Nutritious food has a lot more volume and bulk for the same calories as smaller amounts of junk food, soda, candy. So it will look like way more calories. But it isn't. It's just less calorie dense.
    I don't know how the body works...
    You can learn.
    I mean apparently I have been doing weight loss all wrong by eating way less then I'm supposed
    NO, JUST NO!
    to so now I'm going to eat more And see if it works. When I figure out how to eat more I will update everyone right here if it makes me lose or gain!
    Nononononono. You are going to eat the amount of food/calories you're supposed to. That is MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE EATING and LESS THAN YOU ARE ACTUALLY EATING.

You can understand this if you want to. I'm beginning to think that you just don't want to. That is your prerogative. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off. I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me. I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight??? I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories I cannot stomach eating no one knows me or my medical history if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it

By starving.... If you looked at the chart posted in another comment you would see what 700 calories looks like. I'm not starving im eating two meals worth of healthy food a day. and that's a lot of food hence why I think its b.s. that I have to eat even more to be able to lose weight therefore giving me the impression I will gain weight from eating more then I do... Now where i am more than likely messing up is I'm eating that amount in one sitting and snacking...

still missing the point...

your body needs a certain number of calories to maintain your weight. what that number is, depends on your weight, activity level etc etc.

if you eat less than that you lose weight, more than that, you gain weight.

there is NO WAY you maintain your weight on 700 calories. regardless of how much food that physically looks like.

but now we are getting somewhere... so you're eating a large meal (more than 700 cals because people underestimate their intake, that's totally normal) and snacking on top of it... what do you snack on usually?

Dude
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if you actually Google what eating too little does it matches what my doctor was telling me.
    You've said elsewhere that this conversation is going around in circles, but that is because of a mistake you are making. People are trying to help you find that mistake - most of us (I think) agree that it's most likely to be that you are mistaken about how many calories you're actually consuming (based on the fact that what you have stated is happening conflicts with long-established laws of physics).

I wonder if your mistake is based on your research, and so I'm am interested to know what results on Google you have found that agree with the view you claim is held by your Dr that you are eating too little to lose weight.

• BrityKitty
    Options

That picture shows 1500 calories, not 700. This is making my mind go "trollololool", but to repeat, and maybe rephrase - no, you're not going to eat more. You're going to eat fewer calories, and more nutritious food. Nutritious food has a lot more volume and bulk for the same calories as smaller amounts of junk food, soda, candy. So it will look like way more calories. But it isn't. It's just less calorie dense.
    You can learn.
    I mean apparently I have been doing weight loss all wrong by eating way less then I'm supposed
    NO, JUST NO!
    to so now I'm going to eat more And see if it works. When I figure out how to eat more I will update everyone right here if it makes me lose or gain!
    Nononononono. You are going to eat the amount of food/calories you're supposed to. That is MORE THAN YOU THINK YOU ARE EATING and LESS THAN YOU ARE ACTUALLY EATING.

You can understand this if you want to. I'm beginning to think that you just don't want to. That is your prerogative. Nobody is forcing you to do anything.

Ok this is where we are not understanding each other I don't eat junk food I don't drink soda I have plenty of self control. What has less calories than salad? Have you ever seen someone eat one salad all day and nothing else? That's how I eat.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Ok so I'm not going to argue anymore yes I eat too much
    Yes.
    I need to start eating 300 everyday because then I can really watch the pounds fall off.
    And that is the takeaway message from this conversation?
    It matches malnutrition. You are overlooking the fact that you are obese. This means that you're NOT eating too few calories.
    I don't need anyone's advice on eating less. If I'm lying to everyone why do y'all care if i eat more And gain more weight???
    We care because we are caring and compassionate people.
    I asked a simple question I got an answer I can use I'm going to start drinking nutrition shakes to get the calories
    If you add shakes to what you're already eating, you'll gain more weight.
    I cannot stomach eating
    Then how did you become overweight, how come you don't lose weight?
    no one knows me or my medical history
    You're still not exempt from the laws of physics.
    if I gain weight by increasing my calorie intake to the minimum rca for a woman I will take it up with my doctor that I have been seeing almost my entire life that has all of my medical history in her files. If anyone has any other advice on how to improve metabolism please leave a comment
    It's just that you're not going to increase your metabolism - well, you can increase physical activity, but I have a feeling that's not what you're talking about.
    if not just leave me alone so I can make myself 600 lbs because that's just what I want its my life get over it
    How has being passive aggressive and dismissive been working for you so far?

My husband loves my sarcastic passive aggressive dismissive @$$ so it's working quite well thanks :)
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    What's inside the salad? Avos, salad dressings, feta cheese, nuts?

To be honest sometimes eating certain types of vegetables may cause you to feel bloated, give you gas and cramps. May contribute to your stomach pains.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    At 800 calories a day I was pump fed my weight dropped that much.

How come I didn't stay the same?
  • kommodevaran
    edited October 2017
    Options

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

Ok this is where we are not understanding each other I don't eat junk food I don't drink soda I have plenty of self control. What has less calories than salad? Have you ever seen someone eat one salad all day and nothing else? That's how I eat.
    You said you were sipping energy drinks all day (after swearing you had nothing but water and coffee). You said you had two meals worth of healthy food a day (after describing how you eat less than your 7 year old). It's good that talking about it, helps you remember what you eat, but you can do that way more effectively, and maybe less emotionally taxing, privately, in your food diary. My point is that we aren't judging your food choices, we are just trying to help you succeed by pointing out pitfalls.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think your treatment and your diet are running contrary to each other. Might I suggest that you deal with the anxiety and the poor nutrition first? You mention hair loss, brittle nails, etc. That is resolved with better nutrition/eating more.

I suggest that you go back to your doctor and see if you have PCOS and/or sleep apnea. Drop the diet pills.

I also strongly urge you to switch your energy boost from any caffeine based products to real food, cold turkey. This will mean a week of hell but you will feel a lot better afterwards.

To feed your day add a breakfast, high in protein. Once that is established, add a third meal, high in protein.

It will take about six weeks for you to notice the difference in your skin, hair, and energy level.

Finally, get back to logging your food including all your drinks. Do that for a few weeks.

In two months let’s talk about dieting, which has a different approach and different goals.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    Okay there is no need to become so defensive. Everyone who commented are people who have lost weight using the tips they have given you.

You aren't consistent with your story: First you only drink one cup of coffee a day with water and on another comment you mentioned energy drinks. Those things can be loaded with calories.
    You also mentioned you only eat one meal per day and then later said you ate two.

You aren't being honest with yourself or with the people on here - who are mere strangers trying to help you.
    We don't want to judge you, we don't want to make you gain weight, we simply want you to accept that you are incorrect with your logging and that, if you want to start losing weight, you should start to listen.

Log every bite you eat for 4 weeks, whether it's 1/4 of a table spoon of sugar or a grain of salt. You will be surprised how many calories lurk in small amounts of food - I just had a 25g muffin and it amounted to almost 100 calories.

Also, if you want to boost your metabolism the safest way to do so is through reverse dieting - which means you will have to eat more calories. Set your stats into MFP and follow the calorie allowance they are giving you. Don't go below it because you can affect your metabolism by eating too little for a very long period of time. Also make sure to limit your salt intake as it can affect water retention.

I ate under 1200 for a long time and it was a huge mistake. I didn't need to go so low - when I adjusted to 1400 I lost consistently and I felt a whole lot better. I'm almost at my halfway goal now.

Don't be afraid to eat - food isn't the enemy. Just be honest with your logging and realize you will lose when you eat at an acceptable deficit.

Also get some blood work done - thyroid, insulin, iron, testosterone. Something may be lurking there.

All the best to you. And know that two days of logging will not honestly reflect 6 years' worth of eating. Stick with it and you will see what changes you will need to employ, which may include eating more frequent, but smaller meals, reducing amount of carb intake, drinking water, avoiding drinks and food rich in salts you don't need, becoming more active, etc.

This may be a long shot: But have your allergies tested. You may be allergic to some foods that can cause the stomach pains.

Ok I'm sorry for getting defensive yet again but I'm staying consistent with everything. But everyone just keeps saying I'm eating too much and I'm honest with myself I am content with the fact that people have opinions but you see when one person says it everyone does then I'm not getting the advice I asked for because everyone's opinion is stuck on "your lying to us and yourself. Eat less" I don't know anyone here Im sorry but I could care less what someone thinks about me I just want suggestions I can use. I really need to figure out how to express the amount of sarcasm in my words... Now you said you ate healthy but less then you were supposed to and hit a plateau i am there but i have been doing it so long years in fact that I physically cannot eat anymore then I already do. Hence why I said my stomach has shrank because if I eat more than a 6 inch sub sandwich that is all i will eat for the day. If I ate that muffin that would be all I ate for the day sometimes if I'm feeling good enough I may eat both that sandwich and that muffin in a 24 hour period but they will be like 12 hrs apart if I drink an energy drink those are the only calories my body will see that day etc..... But I have had blood work done thyroid is low b12 deficient ect but instead of going on all kinds of meds I want to fix this the healthy way. All im trying to say is don't assume because someone is fat they eat too much. There is more at play sometimes. Thank you for the advice though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Start all over OP and lose the defensiveness. No one is calling you a liar, no one thinks you are stupid, and no one wants you to gain more weight.

What people do want is to help you understand that there is a tremendous amount of misinformation prevalent today about weight loss, and many of us, including doctors, have fallen victim to it at some point. Randomly googling things is not a great idea - the misinformation floats to the top because it includes paid advertising and click bait titles to draw in unsuspecting and less knowledgeable readers.

The fact is that weight loss comes down to a simple energy balance equation known as CICO. It's the balance between the calories you take in (CI) compared to the calories you burn (CO). And keep in mind that you burn calories all day long, just being alive, through your every day activity, and through any exercise you do. All of that adds up to what's called your total daily energy expenditure or TDEE. So losing weight comes down to eating less than you burn in total, or making sure that your CI < CO. Make sense?
    Now, you can go online to a number of calculators and figure out your TDEE estimate if you want. If you eat less than that, and are accurate in estimating your calorie intake, then you should be losing weight.

Back to the info you've provided, I think you need to disregard what you think you've been taking in, and the crap advice you've gotten from your doctor about how to raise your metabolism, and just start from scratch. Set up MFP with your current stats and select a goal of lose 1.5-2lb/week. Eat a variety of foods to hit the calorie goal MFP gives you, focusing on those hat provide nutrition, satiety, and enjoyment. You don't have to eat nothing but salads. You also shouldn't eat nothing but junk. But there's nothing wrong with eating treats, in moderation, if you can fit them in your calories and you're eating an overall balanced diet. Focus on logging everything you eat as accurately as possible, using a food scale. If you exercise, log and eat back at least a portion of those calories. Log for 4-6 weeks, and assess your results.

Good luck.
  • BrityKitty
    Options

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

You said you were sipping energy drinks all day (after swearing you had nothing but water and coffee). You said you had two meals worth of healthy food a day (after describing how you eat less than your 7 year old). It's good that talking about it, helps you remember what you eat, but you can do that way more effectively, and maybe less emotionally taxing, privately, in your food diary. My point is that we aren't judging your food choices, we are just trying to help you succeed by pointing out pitfalls.

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

I was being sarcastic
  • kommodevaran
    Options

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

I was being sarcastic
    OK - if you want to lose weight you have to be serious.
  • BrityKitty
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I think your treatment and your diet are running contrary to each other. Might I suggest that you deal with the anxiety and the poor nutrition first? You mention hair loss, brittle nails, etc. That is resolved with better nutrition/eating more.

I suggest that you go back to your doctor and see if you have PCOS and/or sleep apnea. Drop the diet pills.

I also strongly urge you to switch your energy boost from any caffeine based products to real food, cold turkey. This will mean a week of hell but you will feel a lot better afterwards.

To feed your day add a breakfast, high in protein. Once that is established, add a third meal, high in protein.

It will take about six weeks for you to notice the difference in your skin, hair, and energy level.

Finally, get back to logging your food including all your drinks. Do that for a few weeks.

In two months let’s talk about dieting, which has a different approach and different goals.

Thank you. I'm not going to get into why I'm on anxiety pills just they will always be a factor. I didn't know these things could be caused by bad nutrition until I discussed with my doctor. But medically i am being treated for my illnesses so there is nothing else they can do. The diet pills are my energy now lol so they go we are good. I have been living off so little the last few years that my body is having a hard time accepting more solid food if that makes sense
  • BrityKitty
    Options

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

You can learn.
    NO, JUST NO!

I was being sarcastic
    OK - if you want to lose weight you have to be serious.

Ok so read the messages were I am being serious that explains it
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

Thank you. I'm not going to get into why I'm on anxiety pills just they will always be a factor. I didn't know these things could be caused by bad nutrition until I discussed with my doctor. But medically i am being treated for my illnesses so there is nothing else they can do. The diet pills are my energy now lol so they go we are good. I have been living off so little the last few years that my body is having a hard time accepting more solid food if that makes sense

OP--are you perhaps drinking your calories?