I was naughty today but it tells me I didn't eat enough.

Options
2»

Replies

• FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OP - The best advice I can give you is to become more educated on nutrition. I didn't lose weight successfully because I didn't understand calories. After spending a lot of time stalking the MFP forums I can safely say I have quite a good idea what to do in order to lead a healthy life at my ideal weight.

Any food consumed has calories in it - some food contains more calories per volume than others. By choosing food with the least amount of calories will give you more volume and therefore keep you fuller. It is difficult to substitute desired foods with others - but to prevent yourself from becoming hungry and therefore binging, it is important to look at what you eat. No food is inherently bad - the amounts should be adjusted to fit into your calorie goal. If you want to eat pizza - do so, but in moderation. I recommend adding a side dish of voluminous food along with it.

Be aware of condiments. Calories lurk in sauces and you SHOULD log them. Drinks have calories in them too, and everything that passes your lips should be logged. It's a tedious task but it will give you a perspective of what food constitutes of in terms of macronutrients and calories.

It's a good thing that you are moderating your sugar intake as too much can mess with your insulin levels, but don't think that sugar is the enemy. Moderation is key to everything in life, including sugar. You can eat ice cream every day if you'd like and still lose weight if you manage your portions correctly.

Also: Make sure to set your activity level as sedentary and don't ever eat under 1500. You're a tall man who needs enough fuel to sustain your body. Don't starve yourself and don't damage your body. You can successfully lose weight whilst still being full and energetic.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Is the kcal vs. kj thing sorted out yet? I can't see op's diary.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Every tablespoon of oil has 100 calories in it. One tub of dipping sauce can be hundreds of calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    He changed his diary to add in all the calories... definitely makes more sense now

honestly - based on initial post - i question the accuracy of that log...since the initial post was just about the breaded wings and now there are 2 full pizzas listed...

ETA - also the "you haven't eaten enough" only shows up if you are under 1200cal for women and 1500 for men...so his diary is likely incorrect

Actually just lol-ed...
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    crb426 wrote: »
    He changed his diary to add in all the calories... definitely makes more sense now

honestly - based on initial post - i question the accuracy of that log...since the initial post was just about the breaded wings and now there are 2 full pizzas listed...

ETA - also the "you haven't eaten enough" only shows up if you are under 1200cal for women and 1500 for men...so his diary is likely incorrect

It actually only shows up at 1200 for men as well.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't monitor... nor care about calories. The only macronutrient I monitor is sugar intake, and I royally screwed up my diet today.

I'm guessing the estimate would probably be 300kg in 5 weeks (If every day is like today), but the system won't tell me.
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    What are your stats that have you eating 4,000 calories as your goal?
    Stats? As in vitals? No idea, but scales that have a 250kg capacity can't weigh me.

EDIT: Also, curiously, there's a lot of salt in chicken wings...

Calories are how weight loss happens. Calories are fuel. Too little fuel (for extended periods) result in hair loss, brittle nails, muscle loss, etc......your heart is a muscle.

Are you diabetic....did your doctor specifically ask you to monitor sugar and salt? Because most people don't monitor those things. I monitor fiber & iron (history of anemia) instead.

If you have medical issues then monitor these things....but eat more calories. Your doctor didn't recommend starving yourself. Very low calorie diets are sometimes PRESCRIBED. But they are monitored and users receive vitamin injections......these are not do-it-yourself plans because they are unsafe.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Eats two full pizzas and worries about sugar.....hmmmmm yeah that'll work.

2000+ grams of fat and 700+ grams of carbs ouch.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    So, the thing is, when we are heavier, our bodies require more calories just to keep our organs functioning and get us through our daily movement. You can and should eat a fair amount more than the average person does on a weight loss diet. I started out at 256 lbs and could easily lose weight eating 2300 or even up to 3000 kcals per day (when I was active) when someone weighing 150 lbs might have difficulty losing at 1500 kcals/day. You need to eat enough food or else you are prone to losing muscle, binge eating, and other negative consequences. If you want to stay as low as you are, you must do it with a doctor who can monitor your health.

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Breakfast and dinner were fine, normal meals for me... but for some reason, even though I had a very naughty lunch (Breaded chicken wings from Pizza Hut), the system is giving me an error "You didn't eat enough" when I try to view my forecast.

I already know today set my diet back several weeks... but I would like to know how much I <censored> up my diet.
    Please start again and do it sensibly this time. Perleze!