Made healthy changes, but I have had constant chest pressure and trouble breathing 24/7 for a month.

Options
DumbledoresPhoenix
DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
edited October 2017 in Food and Nutrition
I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience or could somehow help me because I am desperate. I used to eat a lot of takeout (pizza, hashbrowns, biscuits, and Asian vegetables and noodles mainly), seitan, fruit, peanut butter, whole wheat crackers, popcorn, toast, cheese, microwaveable meals, and things like that. I drank lots of water and not much soda. I have been a vegetarian for most of my life, too. I decided to eat better and to cut out foods that I suspected were causing me problems.

For one month, I cut out gluten, soy, and dairy, and I tried to eat more "whole" foods and a lot more vegetables. Well, I felt like absolute crap and probably wasn't getting enough calories. I also started being constipated, which was never a problem before, even though I was eating lots of fiber.

I began eating a little bit of gluten and dairy again after one month of my "elimination" diet, and that week, I started having a heavy pressure in my chest and trouble breathing, as in it's hard to pull the air in and out. I can't do anything strenuous now. Even walking is difficult. The chest tightness/breathing trouble is constant, even at rest, but is worse on exertion. I have been to a pulmonologist, ENT, and cardiologist. Pulmonary function test, echocardiogram, stress test, camera down my nose, and chest x-rays showed nothing that could be causing it. I have tachycardia and heart palpitations, but I take medicine for that, and it works. My heart itself is beating fine. I have no idea what is causing this. I am still eating a lot better than I used to (lots of vegetables, not much takeout, etc.) and still am not eating gluten, but I did start eating egg whites and a little bit of cheese (1 oz. a day) again for extra protein.

Does anybody have any clue what is going on???? It's affecting my functioning, and not being able to walk without feeling like I'm smothering and not being able to relax at all is making me completely and utterly miserable... and scared. I keep hoping it'll go away on its own, but it's been like this for one month.

Edit: Oh, and my blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight is fine (5'11, 145). I'm 32 and female. Never smoked. Don't drink.

Replies

• DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    Jgnatca, I got blood work in August (right before I started trying to eat healthier), and everything was fine. I get protein from plants, nutrition/protein shakes, cheese, beans, nuts, seeds, and egg whites. Some of those are where I get iron, too. I just got checked for anemia recently, and my iron levels are fine. I assume I am getting B-12 from cheese, and I take a supplement for it a few times a week. I am not sure about folic acid. I'll look into that.

"Random internet" people and certain resources found on the internet can actually be very helpful.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Kommodevaran, I wish it was just anxiety, but besides my current problem, my life is not very stressful. It also just doesn't feel like anxiety. Anyway, I had bad brain fog and felt tired after eating. That cleared up when I stopped eating gluten, and my skin got better, too! I also had more heart "episodes" when eating processed food, probably because of the high sodium content. Cheese just doesn't make me feel great and makes my nose run a lot, but I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts. Eggs and high fat foods give me palpitations, so I avoid those now, and my heart has been feeling better. Egg whites don't make me feel bad at all.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Frankly, I think your healthier choices in the last month were a downgrade from what you were eating before. Good to hear that your nutrient levels are good and your iron too.

When you gave your symptoms, I thought of "blood clot", "kidney failure", and anxiety. It sounds like the experts have ruled out the first two.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    It could merely be a case of your digestive system having to re-adjust to these foods after a time without. I get the same issue sometimes when I eat certain kinds of food and it makes me feel as if I am clogged up in the upper parts of my digestive system. I would suggest maybe drinking more when you eat your meals as it may just be a case that things aren't going down quickly. Having trapped wind in your upper tract can cause you to feel breathless and tight which in and of itself can increase anxiety which makes things worse. Just a suggestion. You could also try some bicarbonate of soda.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    Graelwyn, do you feel pressure around the center of your chest or have any weird breathing issues, too?

I was wondering if it might be a digestive issue. I used to never have digestive problems, and everything was always regular. Now, I am almost always constipated, even after eating healthier foods for two months. You'd think my body would have gotten used to it by now. Thanks for your suggestions! I will try them.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Kommodevaran, I wish it was just anxiety, but besides my current problem, my life is not very stressful. It also just doesn't feel like anxiety. Anyway, I had bad brain fog and felt tired after eating. That cleared up when I stopped eating gluten, and my skin got better, too! I also had more heart "episodes" when eating processed food, probably because of the high sodium content. Cheese just doesn't make me feel great and makes my nose run a lot, but I seem to be able to tolerate small amounts. Eggs and high fat foods give me palpitations, so I avoid those now, and my heart has been feeling better. Egg whites don't make me feel bad at all.

Now a lot of these symptoms sound like a stomach that is easily overwhelmed. Cheese, fat, and eggs are heavy foods. If you shred/scramble them and eat them with a "fluffy" food like a salad, your stomach may tolerate the heavier foods better. How are you with yogurt and Kefir? You can sneak fat in to a vinaigrette and it all goes down better.

My nose runs when my stomach is overwhelmed. That doesn't mean I stop eating that food.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn, do you feel pressure around the center of your chest or have any weird breathing issues, too?

I was wondering if it might be a digestive issue. I used to never have digestive problems, and everything was always regular. Now, I am almost always constipated, even after eating healthier foods for two months. You'd think my body would have gotten used to it by now. Thanks for your suggestions! I will try them.

Yes, if I have bread, cake, sometimes potatoes, sometimes dense dairy, it will feel as if my chest is all tight and it can make it difficult to take a deep breath. It usually goes when I have a warm drink or, to be blunt, burp a lot. Gentle rubbing where it feels tight can also help.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I've had bariatric surgery so my stomach is easily overwhelmed. I can get symptoms as you describe. They are made better if I rest a few minutes. Straightening up instead of hunching over helps as well.

You could try the bariatric method of eating. Eat about half a normal portion and take your time. As soon as you get distressing symptoms, stop eating. In twenty minutes you can eat a little more. Also try drinking separately, away from mealtimes.
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    How much coffee do you drink? My husband has had to see a cardiologist on two different occasions, for chest pressure only to be told not to drink so much coffee.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    More about the runny nose thing.

"The vagus nerve runs along the top of your stomach, and it controls involuntary movements/reactions in the top half of your body: things like getting a runny nose, hiccuping, or sneezing. So it is pissed off ... by pressing food against it, and it flips out and causes weird reactions.

My team taught me to see things like a runny nose as a typical signal that I ate too much. You really shouldn't have so much food in your sleeve that it is mashing up against the top of your stomach where the vagus nerve is closest. So, they taught me that if I get a runny nose after eating, I need to make note of how much I ate, and the next time I eat that type of food, to measure/weigh my food and make sure I eat less. Not everyone does that though, some just take it as a signal that 'I ate enough' rather than 'I ate too much.'"

https://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/370376-runny-nose-after-eating/
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    This kind of sounds similar to something that happened to me a couple of years ago. I had this heavy feeling in my chest and it felt like I had to breathe in very deep to be able to get enough air. I would also get this radiating sensation in my chest that would go down my left arm and sharp stabbing pains in my neck and chest. My heart kind of felt like it was fluttering at random, too. It went on for several months before I went to the doctor. After an EKG came back fine, he said it was most likely GERD and to keep track of foods I was eating. I realized that too much fat caused my pain to get worse. On days I kept my fat down, I felt better. On days that I ate a ton of fatty foods, the pain came back. Now I make sure that my fat levels are kept lower to prevent it. Every once in a while I will start to feel it come back again, especially when I've eaten a lot of fat for several days in a row.

Foods that seem to bother me in large amounts are nut butters, cream cheese, full fat yogurt, cake (feels like it's sticking on the way down), and having too many high fat, buttery sweets at once (cookies, brownies). I also noticed that I ate very fast and didn't chew my food enough, which probably wasn't helping anything.. Eating slower and chewing more does seem to make things better. I hope this is helpful to you in some way!
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, everyone! This is all really helpful! I am going to try out everyone's suggestions. Oh, and to the person who asked about coffee, I don't drink coffee. I know caffeine isn't great for heart issues. I drink soda every now and again. The rest of the time I just drink water.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    Options
    Teacups and Toning, I will talk to my doctor about it possibly being anxiety. I don't feel like it is, but I could definitely be wrong. I'm kind of stupid when it comes to my own body. I had a foot injury earlier this year that I just tried to walk off... Didn't work.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Caveat: I am not a doctor, so ymmv.

I started having weird feelings like heart palpitations. I was terrified bc heart problems run in my family. I got an EKG, but all was fine. Got bloodwork, nothing remarkable. I turned to the internet, thought it was magnesium deficiency. It was not, but I learned a lot about Mg. Turned to internet again, and found info on a hiatal hernia. I asked my chiropractor if he could do the vagal maneuver (as in, something to release pressure on the vagus nerve which goes from brain though the chest next to the heart and esophagus). He did, and heart palps vanished. They came back a few times, always after some event where I overate like at a holiday feast. Perhaps the stomach was overstretched and disturbed the nerve. I may never know.

I don't know enough to know if that's your deal. You could ask around for a chiropractor; it could be muscular or related to anxiety, and it does not have to be weight-related.

Good luck.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    You've had some tests, not all the tests.

Have they looked at your coronaries with CT coronary angiogram or better yet a formal cardiac angiogram?

Have the sent you for electro physiology testing to investigate your tachy arrythmia?

Have they done a right heart cath to measure pulmonary pressures and sarurations?

Have you been evaluated by a psychiatrist to investigate psychological component?

This is not an exhaustive list.

Chest pain/pressure should be taken seriously and investigated to completely rule out cardiac cause.

It's reasonable to go to the emergency department; at very least go back to the gp and insist they get to the bottom of this.

Be your own advocate.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    How's your skin look? Are the fingers, toes, etc. bluish grey looking? Because if so, that means oxygen isn't being carried efficiently throughout the body and MAY be an indication of COPD.
    Personally I'd see a respiratory professional and get an assessment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Just saying first off, I'm a lay person, not a professional. :-)

I'm just gonna address what you've mentioned, plus a few things people have said.
    1. The idea that if we go off food for a month or two we may have trouble digesting it when we reintroduce it? That's a myth, even if it's one that's touted even by some doctors. The pattern of eating the same food, all the time, all year round, is actually the unnatural pattern. Our bodies developed to digest food that would only be available a few months out of the year and would be completely out of our diet for the rest of the year. Your body can handle a month, or even a few months, without a food just fine, without major adjustment or problems afterward.

2. HOWEVER, if you are eating a food that is actually BAD for you in certain ways (which I'll get to in a sec), if you go off of it and try to go back on? Your body can have some real problems, some similar to what you describe.

This commonly happens to celiacs who go gluten free to try the diet, and then try to go back ON gluten - some get very, very sick, and some even become more sensitive to gluten than they were before. Doctors do not know why this happens, but again, it is not uncommon. The problem with this scenario has three parts.
    -- Doctors are still, sadly, extremely ignorant about celiac disease and are unlikely to recognize many of the symptoms, unless they match a few common ones (that only affect about 2/3 of celiacs). Like fatigue, depression, and/or brain fog are common celiac symptoms. Doctors also quite frequently don't understand the testing very well. So them suggesting any celiac testing based on a physical response like yours is unlikely.
    -- You actually can't be tested for celiac disease currently. The test is still pretty crude, so to be tested, you have to have about 1-2 MONTHS of accumulated biomarkers from daily reactions to gluten. Without that, it gives a false negative. So unless you feel comfy eating gluten daily (about 2 slices of bread worth a day) for 1-2 months, you can't get the test any longer.
    -- A celiac level of gluten free diet is NOT the same as simply 'gluten free.' Think peanut allergy level sensitivity (including avoiding foods processed on equipment that processes wheat, or sometimes even in facilities that do), but only involving things that go into your mouth. The reason this matters is that if you go ALMOST gluten free enough, it can be enough to trigger that extra sensitivity, which can start you having problems (the big D OR constipation can be one reaction). And if you are still getting gluten contamination, you will continue to be sick. Many folks end up in a situation where they can't be tested for Celiac disease because they get so sick on gluten, but they CAN try the celiac level diet - there's lots of information out there.

also a couple things about celiac disease that might be relevant. It can increase problems in other areas, like if you have almost non-existent asthma, it can make it worse. And it can also cause problems with certain organ, the liver, kidneys, and gall bladder being some of the more common. The gall bladder is needed to properly digest fats, so if there is a problem with that, it impacts your fat digestion. Some celiacs have reported heart palpitations, although I do not believe it is currently a recognized symptom officially.

Another issue that can make things worse if you drop a food and then add it back in? Food allergies. Doctors, according to my own doctor, are taught in med school that if there are physical problems, it's pretty much NEVER because of food. Which means they will seldom actually look to food for your problems. However, allergies do NOT just present as hives, itching, swelling, and anaphylaxis, you know? I mean, some folks are allergic on contact to some plants, while some folks just have hay fever like allergies.

The same is true of food. Some folks have severe reactions, while some end up with inflammation, extra mucus (like nose runnier or congested), lungs feeling tight or congested (even if there is no asthma or restriction noticed during testing), palpitations (some measurable, some are just described but don't seem enough to register as anything, going by the allergic community), throat maybe a teeny bit more phlegmy, gut or bowels a little unsettled (can be achy, bloaty, sharp pains, the runs, constipation - many variations, depending on how a person's body reacts), maybe if you have arthritis or other inflammation based problems they are a little worse. Most doctors won't send you to an allergist for this. And prick tests don't always work on this either. According to my own allergist, if you aren't reacting to the food with skin contact or very obvious swelling on contact with the mouth, you are less likely to react to a prick test even if you ARE allergic.

Juts anecdotally, I've been meeting more and more people who have more than one low level allergy, like 2-3. And also, for information - When it comes to egg allergies, there is a protein only in egg whites, a different protein in egg yolks, and then a third protein that is present in both egg whites and egg yolks. So some people do only react to whites or yolks, but not the other.

If you eat a food and it gives you a runny nose? Unless that food was spicy, I would seriously consider an allergic response.

For both of the above, allergies and celiac disease, it seriously messes up your insides. So even if your body can recover, while eating the things that get to you, you may start having gut problems. A GI doctor might be worth seeing, honestly. There can be evidence of inflammation and/or celiac disease internally, if they feel like scoping you is worth your and their while.

Wishing you good luck. Myself, I had a slightly different experience, but some similarities. I'm a celiac who went gluten free after diagnosis, and all of a sudden I started having huge problems with breathing, inflammation, sick all the time after I ate, awful stuff. Best we can tell, my immune system was so depressed due to celiac disease, that it didn't have the ability to respond to allergens I had problems with. But when I went gluten free, when the gut healed and the immune system started getting nutrients again, then it COULD react to allergens, and started to do so, and hit me like a hammer.

Doctors had no idea what was going on, took me years for them to figure it out. So while you and I are obviously different people, I'd just say from my own experience, it is totally worth it to explore foods. The problem may be nothing of the sort, but if a food IS the problem, it's such a simple fix that you can start getting better right away, you know? And considering that a change in diet precipitated this, it seems the the odds would be higher that food is connected in SOME way, even if you don't know what way, yet.
  • Sarc_Warrior
    Sarc_Warrior Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I'm an asthmatic that was recently diagnosed with sarcoidosis in the lungs. I've always had chest tightness, difficulty breathing, etc. Ask for a CT scan of the chest. This will show any weird *kitten* that may be happening. Add me if you want.