Made healthy changes, but I have had constant chest pressure and trouble breathing 24/7 for a month.

2»

Replies

• DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Lizery, I am going to go back to the cardiologist soon. I hopefully will get more thorough tests, and I will nag if needed.

Ninerbuff, I went to a pulmonologist and got a chest x-ray and pulmonary function test, and the results didnt show anything. My toes turn blue sometimes when it's cold, but they have no fat or padding on them really, so I don't think it's an oxygen thing.

Shaumom, thanks for writing all that. It was really helpful.

Indy cruizer, did you have a normal chest x-ray, or did they go right to the CT scan? Is your difficulty breathing and chest tightness constant?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Blue toes is not a fat layer thing it’s a poor circulation thing. That could be trouble with lungs or heart. Also diabetes but you don’t have any other indications of that.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Definitely make sure other things have been ruled but like a couple other people this sounds a lot like my anxiety. I am also asthmatic, not severely so and a few years ago I had an incident when I attempted C25K that triggered a days long panic attack. Thought it was asthma. Ambulance, A&E, the whole bit. Nobody realised it wasn't asthma because I was visibly unable to take a breath. Why no-one put two and two together I don't know but a couple years later I realised that was the start of my chronic anxiety problems (thanks random creep in the park). Up until that point I wouldn't have said I was an especially anxious person at all and you don't need mitigating life factors for it either. Can just pop up unhelpfully out of the blue.

So definitely something to think about too.
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    You should see a gastroenterologist and have an EGD to rule out laryngopharyngeal reflux or GERD. Sounds very similar to those symptoms.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Lizery, I am going to go back to the cardiologist soon. I hopefully will get more thorough tests, and I will nag if needed.

Ninerbuff, I went to a pulmonologist and got a chest x-ray and pulmonary function test, and the results didnt show anything. My toes turn blue sometimes when it's cold, but they have no fat or padding on them really, so I don't think it's an oxygen thing.

Shaumom, thanks for writing all that. It was really helpful.

Indy cruizer, did you have a normal chest x-ray, or did they go right to the CT scan? Is your difficulty breathing and chest tightness constant?

Purplish-blue (or very pale) fingers and toes is Reynaud's Phenomenon. They also get red (and sometimes minorly puffy) when they get warm again. It's constriction of the blood vessels in the extremeties that is an overreaction to exposure to even minor cold (for me, 72 will do it). It is oxygen deprivation to those tissues, but through markedly reduced blood flow. When I had my doctor diagnose it, the blood oxygen monitor on my finger gave a reading of 48%. Read 99 on the doctor's finger.

Your doctor needs to know about this, because there are medications that are contraindicated in people who experience it. It can easily be demonstrated by running a finger under cold water. You would see it change color, and even the exact line of demarcation.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    This link is something I'd recommend you take a look at. It's a condition of the front of the ribcage. I will also say that if any of your ribs feel more prominent than the others, a good chiropractor may be able to help with that.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/costochondritis/basics/definition/con-20024454
  • javaguynw
    javaguynw Posts: 2 Member
    Sounds Like me before I found out I had heart disease you should have it looked at closer they misdiagnosed me for a long time now I need a heart transplant
  • sineado29
    sineado29 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi,
    I had something similar recently - chest tightness/pain and trouble breathing. Turned out to be indigestion and some indigestion tablets helped clear it up.
  • DumbledoresPhoenix
    DumbledoresPhoenix Posts: 27 Member
    Javaguy, could you tell me more about your situation?
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Next step should be to see a gastroenterologist and rule out digestive issues. Hope you feel better soon!
  • angel4732
    angel4732 Posts: 14,898 Member
    Have you had your gall bladder checked?
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Your symptoms are scary and I would push for the doc to look further. Having said that you might try some probiotics and magnesium for the bowel issues. It has helped me alot. I use Magnesium citrate 150 mg. You can get higher strengths but start small to avoid diarrhea. The probiotics helped alot too. Just the same I would keep seeing the doc if the symptoms continue.