When your motivation dwindles..

Options
What do you do to help yourself? :( I’m at a plateau and my motivation just turned off one day..I got behind in school and showed up late to work and stop counting/caring about calories. I’ve lost 25 so far but now I don’t know how to get myself out of this funk. I have a lot of family/home issues going on so I know it might be tied to emotion.. anyone gone through something similar? How did you get out of the hole? I know it takes one day at a time but I’ve been like this since the beginning of the month and can’t seem to shake it

Replies

• GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Once you have stuck to the plan for one day, the next one is a little easier. And the next after that is a little easier still. Take it one meal at a time and you’ll get into good habits.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    SisepuedeLinda Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It definitely will take time and my determination is still there I just have to find my way back.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It definitely will take time and my determination is still there I just have to find my way back.

You can do it! Slow and steady.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I made logging my food an unavoidable habit. If everything else is going to hell in a hand cart it's just autopilot for me to have my phone with me when I eat and then I log as I go. If I relied on motivation I'd have never made it past a week I think!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is the time for which you (should) have been building good habits to cruise on.
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    This is the time for which you (should) have been building good habits to cruise on.

I thought I was being habitual for a while there when it was going good for like 10 weeks with occasional bumps.. but then I just stopped which was weird but obviously not fully stopped since I’m still here but I just have a lot more things on my mind now and not just like “oh what am I going to eat what fits in my calories” now it’s like “ok I’m pressed for time I’ll just eat to not feel hungry” which is what I’ve always thought.

• SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I get in funks all the time. Even with the best of habits and intentions in place, sometimes I just don't care and get derailed. I now manage to keep them down to a few days, even when the emotions and crappy situations are taking priority. It took a long time to get as consistent as I am now. Here's how I got there:

1) Recognize this moment will pass. It's just a funk, and won't last forever.
    2) Stick as best as I can to the habits mentioned above. I have my helpful/healthy habits written down and prioritized. At the end of every month I review how well I stayed on track. I have a trusted friend doing the same thing and we connect each month, even for a few moments to cheer for each other and hold each other accountable. What works will change over time.
    3) If I can't get it together and skip something I had planned (which I did this very morning!) I pull out a list which takes first priority. It has the following things on it: 1- take a deep breath 2 - take a drink of water 3 - find something beautiful (wherever you are, there is something beautiful and amazing nearby. It could be a leaf, a photograph, a window, whatever. I sit there and spend some time contemplating how it is so amazing. Like, really thinking about it and going over the details. 4- Set in motion to do the next thing. Give up on the thing that you already missed. You don't have to finish, but commit to starting.

I missed weights this morning because I just didn't have it in me. This used to cascade, but using the steps above, I still got my cardio in. Because I got my cardio in, I'll stay on track with eating today and won't get totally derailed.

You might need to take different steps to get you there, but you will. So many people make it sound so easy. Motivation, habits, whatever- it hasn't been easy for me at all. It's hard. Especially when life sucks. But, I have stayed pretty much on track now for a long time, and you can tool!

Thank you for this advice! I think I do need to incorporate being more mindful because I have so many issues and bad situations going on lately I let them suck the positivity out of me and I just get stuck on those bad issues in my head over and over but maybe if I’m more mindful I can at least let my mind go to a somewhat better place for a while.

• anyWendy
    anyWendy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You've gotten lots of good advice already.

When I got in a funk like that, losing motivation in many areas of life, what finally helped me was getting treatment and starting on an antidepressant.

I don't know your circumstances or what's right for you, but for me it was a lifesaver, and made everything else more manageable.
  • Adammmmm119
    Adammmmm119 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Think about why you started
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You don't have to "feel motivated" to log your food or exercise. Just do what you've always done. If I followed my plan only on the day's I felt motivated, I'd be back where I started 3.5 years and 150 lbs ago.
  • NotGuiltylawyer
    NotGuiltylawyer Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take a moment for yourself, even if it's just taking a nice long bath, going for a walk outside, meditating.Just something simple. Clear your mind and relax. Think about the reason why you decided to take this journey and where it has taken you so far. Then remind yourself about your goals. I understand exactly how you are feeling, i have moments like this from time to time, life gets in the way. Chaos, stress... i find that if you are able to escape for a little bit and do something for yourself, it gives you the opportunity to think clearer and often, inspiration arises.

I did this tonight, i felt crappy, craved junk food, my house was a mess.I felt overwhelmed, anxious. I made the decision to get off the couch, put some nice music on and walked to the kitchen and did the dishes. It got me thinking... and made me re focus. I feel so much better. Instead of going to the store and getting a bag of chips and a pop, i grabbed an apple and a huge glass of water filled with ice and watched an episode of "this is us". Im ready to hit the gym tommorrow and enjoy my weekend on a positive note.

• spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    When life gets hard...I simply give myself grace...an off time...I'll eat at maintenance...or skip a workout for resting etc. It passes and I move forward again. I don't have much to lose now, but I followed this same method while I was losing the 20+ lbs....give yourself some time to deal with things and come back stronger :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

I thought I was being habitual for a while there when it was going good for like 10 weeks with occasional bumps.. but then I just stopped which was weird but obviously not fully stopped since I’m still here but I just have a lot more things on my mind now and not just like “oh what am I going to eat what fits in my calories” now it’s like “ok I’m pressed for time I’ll just eat to not feel hungry” which is what I’ve always thought.
    What I mean with "good habits", is habits that makes you feel good - happy, relaxed, strong - not virtuous. We can do whatever it takes for a while, as long as we are "motivated" (see results) and there are no obstacles. But we can't always see the immediate result of our actions, and life just happens. If you don't have a plan you can stick to when life happens, it's not really of any use. I have fallen into that trap many times myself. It sounds to me that you're making your food decisions pretty much the same way I used to do when I was "trying to eat healthy": "what healthy options do I have here". It never lasted very long, a year, max.

I have taken a new approach now: I have an idea of how much food is appropriate for me, and an idea of what foods make me feel full and energized, and strong feelings about what I like. I use those criteria to choose what to eat. That makes decision much easier - the decision comes from the "inside", not the "outside", I eat because I'm hungry and want to eat, and want to eat this, not to avoid becoming hungry and eat what I think I should eat. I don't have to "fight myself", so I can do this no matter what situation I'm in, no matter how I'm generally feeling. I guess this is bordering "intuitive eating". Maybe it's something you can look into too.
  • ISweat4This
    ISweat4This Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    You need self discipline. It's natural to get into a funk sometimes but you have to fight it and get back to your goals.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Today is a hard day. Right now I'm at the gym. EVERY SET sucks. Sometimes ever REP sucks. But I can make myself do the next set. And each time I do that I'm closer to done!
  • SisepuedeLinda
    Options
    This is all great advice that led me to do a 5k hike on Saturday morning and I’m going again next weekend! Thank you all for taking the time to share your inspiration! I know motivation won’t take me too far that was probably the wrong word to use but now I have this thread to reflect back to when I’m feeling crummy again! It’s baby steps but at least it’s steps!