Weight loss without working out due to medical reasons--anyone else?

2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    Zara11 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The problem with being lean is that it's harder to create a deficit because you have less room for error. Even trained professionals uncount calories in by as much as 400 calories. So there is a need to be more precise. Also, with some medications, it can mess with some water retention and/or hunger signals.

It's true that all you need is a calorie deficit. The harder part is, when someone is lean, it's harder to do so and in some sense, our bodies become more resistant.

I know you said you can't workout, but can you increase daily movements (maybe walk more)?

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to do that because a hundred calories is better than zero, but am limited in what I can do. Waiting for a few medical procedures to be completed so I can try if focusing on core work will cause less repercussions.

What are your stats? How many calories are you eating? And do you use a food scale?

5'8", 145-150, aiming for 135-140, eating 1200-1700, averaging 1400-1500 most days, and I weigh meats eaten, and guess with fruits/vegetables.

Id start to weigh you fruits/veggies. I used to think I was eating an 80 calorie apple.. turns out, it was double. And when you eat 4 to 5 servings of fruit a day, it was astonishing how far off I was.

So I am lean myself, and trying to get abs has been a bish for me.

If it's of any help, when I could work out, got my abs from heavier weights, swimming, and p90x was pretty darn useful as well!

Thats awesome. I hope you get through all of your issues. I can understand the frustration as my wife is a medical nightmare with all her issues.

Personally, I am down to about 16% but almost all of my fat is in my belly. I actually have fair of definition and muscle in my arms, shoulders, legs and back.
  • Zara11
    Zara11 Posts: 1,247 Member
    I agree that a calorie deficit usually causes weight loss, but it gets harder when there's less weight to lose.
    A calorie deficit always causes weight loss, it's what causes weight loss. The last pounds are slower, not harder.
    Not when you eat foods you have an intolerance or allergy to. Also, some medications mess with weight loss as well.
    Why would you eat food you are allergic to? Not that it hinders weight loss. Some medications can mess with appetite and cause lethargy, but they can't directly hinder weight loss.

I cut them out when it was discovered.
    Then what's the relevance?
    I was just pointing out that a calorie deficit does not always cause weight loss. It does when everything else is working correctly.
    But it's not true. A calorie deficit means that you're taking in fewer calories than your body burns. This forces your body to eat on it's energy (fat) stores, and you lose weight. It happens for everybody, always.

The relevance was that when I was eating foods I didn't know I had a sensitivity to, I rapidly gained weight despite eating less than I burned. I thought I had read studies about medications causing rapid weight gains despite no dietary/movement changes, but will double check.
  • Zara11
    edited October 2017
    The problem with being lean is that it's harder to create a deficit because you have less room for error. Even trained professionals uncount calories in by as much as 400 calories. So there is a need to be more precise. Also, with some medications, it can mess with some water retention and/or hunger signals.

It's true that all you need is a calorie deficit. The harder part is, when someone is lean, it's harder to do so and in some sense, our bodies become more resistant.

I know you said you can't workout, but can you increase daily movements (maybe walk more)?

Thank you for your response. I'm trying to do that because a hundred calories is better than zero, but am limited in what I can do. Waiting for a few medical procedures to be completed so I can try if focusing on core work will cause less repercussions.

What are your stats? How many calories are you eating? And do you use a food scale?

5'8", 145-150, aiming for 135-140, eating 1200-1700, averaging 1400-1500 most days, and I weigh meats eaten, and guess with fruits/vegetables.

Id start to weigh you fruits/veggies. I used to think I was eating an 80 calorie apple.. turns out, it was double. And when you eat 4 to 5 servings of fruit a day, it was astonishing how far off I was.

So I am lean myself, and trying to get abs has been a bish for me.

If it's of any help, when I could work out, got my abs from heavier weights, swimming, and p90x was pretty darn useful as well!

Thats awesome. I hope you get through all of your issues. I can understand the frustration as my wife is a medical nightmare with all her issues.

Personally, I am down to about 16% but almost all of my fat is in my belly. I actually have fair of definition and muscle in my arms, shoulders, legs and back.

Thanks, I hope so too. Driving me up the freaking wall, especially as I was extremely active before. I can just FEEL what working out was like, and it's upsetting knowing that if I tried, I'd be in so much pain that I wouldn't be able to walk for days. Really hoping it's solved in the next year or so. (It's been several years already.) Hope your wife also gets better!

My brother was frustrated with muscle building everywhere but not showing as much as he'd like in stomach, so he tried p90x and has been getting pretty decent results so far. 16% is great, though! Sounds like stomach might be the last place for you to lose weight. For me it's thighs, hah.
  • Zara11
    KayTeeOne wrote: »
    I am doing the same. Feel free to add me. Have to lose almost 25 lbs

sent!!!
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    I have some medical issues that keep from working out for days to months at a time. I've lost 33 pounds so far mainly by staying in a calorie deficit. I exercise when I can for my health and do chair yoga it seems to help my muscles. I take medications that cause me to gain water weight so I pay more attention to my measurements than I do the scale. I hope you get to feeling better soon
  • Zara11
    I have some medical issues that keep from working out for days to months at a time. I've lost 33 pounds so far mainly by staying in a calorie deficit. I exercise when I can for my health and do chair yoga it seems to help my muscles. I take medications that cause me to gain water weight so I pay more attention to my measurements than I do the scale. I hope you get to feeling better soon

Thanks!!! I'll look into chair yoga. As for measurements, do they not fluctuate as quickly as weight, i.e. maybe stomach bloat but everywhere else is steady? Hope you also heal quickly.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    When I broke my ankle, I was on the couch for 7 weeks with my leg elevated - and then it was several more weeks to learn to walk really.
    The fact that I couldn't really get food for myself helped me stay in the right calorie range!

My bigger problem was when I started to become more mobile - after the time of zero activity, I found even small amounts of exercise and physiotherapy exhausting and felt like I should be eating lots more to compensate....but in reality, though those things were difficult, they weren't burning a lot of energy! It was a bit of an adjustment to really have to watch my calories quite carefully - I was previously reasonably active, so had a bit more leeway in my calories. As a short, sedentary person I really had to be quite strict on myself.

I am a couple of years down the track now, so not in the same situation, although recently been having a few issues and may have to consider taking out the metalwork in the ankle....but I don't really want to have to do even the 2 weeks or so of rest.

More recently, I have found Tai Chi great - gentle exercise, and I have noticed an improvement in my range of motion.

Hope you get better soon and can get back towards your previous activity levels!
  • Zara11
    @jo_nz Thanks--I will look into that.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Hi there. I have to lose weight for a hip op and am down 20 lbs in nine months. Very slow but a lot better than nothing. Eating fairly low fat but not cutting out any particular food group. Seems to be working. Good luck! I am trying yoga but still finding it painful but helps with movement and stops me from stiffening up. Consultant has advised me not to exercise although swimming helps until the bit where my leg seizes up!!
  • piet77
    piet77 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I have cerebral palsy and rheumatoid arthritis and am very limited in the exercises I can do. For me, stretching is exercise. I have tried to limit my calories even more (1000 to 1100 per day) but then I struggle mightily with hunger and giving in to cravings. I have been looking into adaptive yoga, which seems somewhat doable and is specifically made for people in my situation. Some days I hurt too much to do anything. And the chronic fatigue is hard to explain to people. The struggle is real and daily. But I am very slowly losing pounds and refuse to give up.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 953 Member
    Piety - I have an older friend on MFP who can't exercise as he is very crippled. He lost weight slowly over two years, more than a 100lbs but he was meticulous in weighing his food and logging.
  • Zara11
    FattieBabs wrote: »
    Hi there. I have to lose weight for a hip op and am down 20 lbs in nine months. Very slow but a lot better than nothing. Eating fairly low fat but not cutting out any particular food group. Seems to be working. Good luck! I am trying yoga but still finding it painful but helps with movement and stops me from stiffening up. Consultant has advised me not to exercise although swimming helps until the bit where my leg seizes up!!

I want to try swimming more, but the cost of a gym with a pool, and one that isn't hours out of the way, isn't cheap. Am scared something will go wrong and then I'll get banned from the pool...
  • Zara11
    piet77 wrote: »
    Hi. I have cerebral palsy and rheumatoid arthritis and am very limited in the exercises I can do. For me, stretching is exercise. I have tried to limit my calories even more (1000 to 1100 per day) but then I struggle mightily with hunger and giving in to cravings. I have been looking into adaptive yoga, which seems somewhat doable and is specifically made for people in my situation. Some days I hurt too much to do anything. And the chronic fatigue is hard to explain to people. The struggle is real and daily. But I am very slowly losing pounds and refuse to give up.

I'm so sorry you have this and it sounds amazing. I can stretch my upper body--lower is more complicated. I should explore yoga options more.
  • bptrav
    bptrav Posts: 1 Member
    I've had a painful skin condition plus a couple other things for 15+ years and am on disability. To make matters worse this condition gets significantly worse with SWEATING and heat, so I can almost never exercise. One thing that can help (not cure) it is losing weight too so I am determined to succeed this time. I'm down 64lbs so far from my heaviest point about a year ago, 289lbs (33.4 BMI) down from 353lbs (40.8 BMI). With almost no exercise at all, and not always being "good" and sticking to it 100%.

For me the only way I can seem to keep losing weight is to track EVERYTHING and stay as consistent as possible. My brain has a way of tricking me into thinking I'm eating way less calories than I really am if I don't strictly log every single thing I eat.

I imagine those last few pounds might be a bit harder to drop without exercise too but if you have a lot of weight to lose in the first place you can drop A LOT of weight just by eating better. Exercise has additional health benefits too of course, but unfortunately for some it's just not really an option.
    piet77 wrote: »
    SHi. I have cerebral palsy and rheumatoid arthritis and am very limited in the exercises I can do. For me, stretching is exercise. I have tried to limit my calories even more (1000 to 1100 per day) but then I struggle mightily with hunger and giving in to cravings. I have been looking into adaptive yoga, which seems somewhat doable and is specifically made for people in my situation. Some days I hurt too much to do anything. And the chronic fatigue is hard to explain to people. The struggle is real and daily. But I am very slowly losing pounds and refuse to give up.

I don't suffer from the same conditions as you but the thing about fatigue is so true. Constantly being in pain just totally sucks all the energy out of you emotionally, mentally and physically. It's so much more than just the pain, it's living with it every day for years that really takes its toll. Anyway I wish you the best with your weight loss and your pain. You can do it!
  • Zara11
    @bptrav The pain/fatigue is so frustrating, too. Feels like my body is constantly betraying me.
  • Luvmyhubby222
    Luvmyhubby222 Posts: 149 Member
    I'm kind of in the same boat-knee surgery last month has me out of my running addiction...um, I mean habit. ;) Trying to stick to the calorie deficit without the extra boost from running has me bummed, and hungry! Yes, I know there are other exercises, and I am doing as much as I can with this recovering knee. But it sucks!