Exercise calories

Options
I have light active in profile. I have cleaning job 2x a week. I put cleaning under exercise. This allows for more calories. It tells me how many I can use. Am I still going to lose weight, which is my goal?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    diane1rock wrote: »
    I have light active in profile. I have cleaning job 2x a week. I put cleaning under exercise. This allows for more calories. It tells me how many I can use. Am I still going to lose weight, which is my goal?

MFP gave you a calorie goal before exercise, so yes you are meant to eat the exercise calories back. However, calorie burns are estimates. Many people start by eating back 50%. Then adjust that up or down (over several weeks) based on actual results.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

What else do you do that qualifies you as lightly active? If only the cleaning then you are double counting by also counting it as exercise.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

What else do you do that qualifies you as lightly active? If only the cleaning then you are double counting by also counting it as exercise.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I would say that if you are putting yourself at light active with cleaning 2x per week and then you book it again when you log it as exercise, you are double dipping. You only log and eat back what isn't accounted for in your activity level.
  • diane1rock
    diane1rock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am lightly active because I am on my feet all day 7 days a week, doing household chores that I do not log. I have standing job on the weekends.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Normal household activities, laundry, cooking, vacuuming, dusting, tidying, cleaning the bathroom, etc are all part of everyday activities that do not need to be logged. I include them in my 'sedentary activity'. I don't do all household tasks every day though, they rotate around the week. If you are thoroughly cleaning the house every day, it may come under light activity.

Because your job is not a desk job, but only 2 days a week, that too would come under light activity, unless you are turning beds, manually scrubbing floors, etc, then it would put your activity level to active.

I would probably not log the job as exercise, but include it in my daily activity. Try logging at slightly active for 4 weeks, if you are losing faster than expected up your activity level.

Cheers, h.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am lightly active because I am on my feet all day 7 days a week, doing household chores that I do not log. I have standing job on the weekends.

Well all that PLUS your cleaning job count towards your activity setting.
    Your job isn't exercise.
    Just choose the active setting rather than lightly active rather than complicate things.

After four weeks or so you will know if you are on track or not and can make adjustments if required.