Maybe I should just get weightloss surgery and finally be skinny

Options
Any thoughts about the surgery? My cousin who is a NP advises against it because it can cause other health issues but I have been Big all of my life and I just want to be skinny

Replies

• jd81585
    jd81585 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Before you do surgery I'm just curious when you look in the mirror or when your around other people do you notice your "flaws" first/mostly or do you admire what you like about yourself because If you feel like you dont necessarily like yourself or compare yourself to others you might have low self-esteem or lack of confidence in yourself so try noticing your good points, accepting yourself how you are, and dont compare yourself to others and that might be enough. If its not then you will at least feel happier and can make the choice to do surgery confidently. Sorry if this sounds to sappy but this is how I stopped myself from comfort eating so I thought it might help if you were doing the same. If its hormonal though then I would see if a doctor can test your levels.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts about the surgery? My cousin who is a NP advises against it because it can cause other health issues but I have been Big all of my life and I just want to be skinny

You do know that being skinny won't automatically make life perfect, even if it seems that way right now.

And I agree that you should be working towards healthy not skinny.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Listen to your cousin. She might know something.
  • Aqualang26
    Aqualang26 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone but you and your doctor can say if surgery is the best option you have.

Have you tried a calorie deficit with or without other ways of eating (keto, OMAD, etc.) For at least several months?

For one, youd have to do a strict pre-surgical diet anyway. For two, wouldn't it be good to see how you could do with dietary changes before getting surgery?
  • lili200
    lili200 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    feel free to add me.
    Unfortunately is surgery isn't magic and you must keep diet before and after. If your are interested, I know there are some 3-4 month class for life style change (I am not personalty involved in them, but know amazing pro who does) and few research showed that is helpful!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You still have to eat less.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery comes with risks, permanently alters your body and still takes committing to eating fewer calories over time. It is not the easier path IMO.

Personally I would just commit to using something like MFP for at least a year before going the surgery route. If you set your goal to lose 1-2 lbs a week and sustain that rate then you could be down 50-100 lbs in a year. That would be an improvement.
    Start logging everything you consume as accurately as you can. Eat food you like. Learn appropriate portion sizes for you.
    If you are an emotional eater work on developing different coping tools.

Whatever you do will take time and effort.
  • bblue656
    bblue656 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have my last dietitian appointment November 13 then i schedule my surgery. It's not a cure all. You have to eat right and exercise or you'll gain it all back.
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    If you want to get surgery, and if you qualify, you can, but you need to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle in order to keep the weight off. If you don't change your habits, then any surgery is just going to be a temporary fix.