Can you still lose weight by eating McDonalds occasionally?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Today's threads inspired me order McDonald's. I ordered the Mushroom burger and a diet drink thinking "how bad could it be?". It was pretty good and bigger than what I was expecting, but when I looked up the calories (couldn't find them on the website, so closest thing was Angus Mushroom and Swiss burger) it turned out to be 770 calories. That's how fast food gets you, not because it's made up of some magical "unhealthy" molecules. I've been at it for this long and even I made this mistake. Always pre-log and plan fast food when possible, especially if you're ordering something new.

ETA: no exercise today (rest day). That's only 200-300 calories over what I was expecting. No big deal but it's good to be aware that I went over what I was planning.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Today's threads inspired me order McDonald's. I ordered the Mushroom burger and a diet drink thinking "how bad could it be?". It was pretty good and bigger than what I was expecting, but when I looked up the calories (couldn't find them on the website, so closest thing was Angus Mushroom and Swiss burger) it turned out to be 770 calories. That's how fast food gets you, not because it's made up of some magical "unhealthy" molecules. I've been at it for this long and even I made this mistake. Always pre-log and plan fast food when possible, especially if you're ordering something new.

ETA: no exercise today (rest day). That's only 200-300 calories over what I was expecting. No big deal but it's good to be aware that I went over what I was planning.

McDonalds was the first chain I noticed here in BC (Canada) to put calorie counts on the menu board. It is law in other provinces (Ontario) and looks like the fast food chains are just complying across the board instead of waiting for it to be legislated (very good on them).

It's nice because it does help you make the choice right there and then instead of pre-logging or being surprised.

Swiss Chalet doesn't and I did eat a bit more for dinner last night then my day allowed. Didn't realize how much it was until I got home and logged. But I'm under for the week so I'm okay with it.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

McDonalds was the first chain I noticed here in BC (Canada) to put calorie counts on the menu board. It is law in other provinces (Ontario) and looks like the fast food chains are just complying across the board instead of waiting for it to be legislated (very good on them).

It's nice because it does help you make the choice right there and then instead of pre-logging or being surprised.

Swiss Chalet doesn't and I did eat a bit more for dinner last night then my day allowed. Didn't realize how much it was until I got home and logged. But I'm under for the week so I'm okay with it.

Yeah, none of this listing calories nonsense here. The only restaurants with any calorie counts anywhere (usually online and even that is not exactly accurate to local ingredients) are international chains, and even those don't have the count for things that are only offered locally. Eating out is pretty much a guessing game for me, but it's alright. I don't eat out or order in all that often anyway.
  • Poisonedpawn78
    Poisonedpawn78 Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Not only can you, some people find that fitting in some fast food every once in a while makes dieting easier because it doesn't feel like you have to change your life so drastically to lose weight.

The ease of being able to comply with whatever method of dieting/calorie restriction you chose is very important.

I am one of those people. There are faster ways to lose weight im sure, but I just cant stick to them. And failure is worse than a slow loss.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes, of course you can. And likely at the same rate over time as you'd lose without McD's (assuming the same calories in both cases). McD's breakfast is still one of my favorites when I feel like grabbing something on the way to work.
  • Valrotha
    Valrotha Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal or two per week, and it's not uncommon for me to go over my calorie goal a day or two per week as well. As long as I don't overdo it, I'm still able to lose weight.

Simplest suggestion I could offer is to try it, make sure you log what you can, and if you're able to lose weight anyway then great. If not, at least you have an idea of what to change.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I ate fast food at least once a week and lost 50lbs. Just plan for it, log it, and keep it within your deficit for the day.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I ate fast food at least once a week and lost 50lbs. Just plan for it, log it, and keep it within your deficit for the day.

It gets even better and easier: for the day or for the week.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    ST94NO wrote: »
    Food that allows for 6000 calories to be consumed in a matter of a few minutes are a recipe for disaster. Almost regardless, but expecially if one has a troubling relationship with food, one should abstain from all this *kitten* completely.

I've never done that or seen anyone do that with fast food. That's some competitive eating *kitten* right there. Totally irrational. Calm down.

I have, however, seen it done with home-cooked food on holiday feasts ;)

Pretty sure I have eaten more than that at Thanksgiving! No shame in my turkey game!
  • GW4321
    GW4321 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I actually think it’s easier to lose weight while eating fast food. Not saying it’s the healthiest way, but I can control my portions much better with a predetermined meal size. If I eat a home cooked meal, then I have to rely on my willpower to stop eating.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    ST94NO wrote: »
    Food that allows for 6000 calories to be consumed in a matter of a few minutes are a recipe for disaster. Almost regardless, but expecially if one has a troubling relationship with food, one should abstain from all this *kitten* completely.

I'm going to assume you were being overly dramatic to be funny?

I mean, fast food can be calorie dense, but you don't just hang out in front of a never ending trough of food, nor can you accidentally order 6000 cals worth. I could order 1000 cals and eat it in one sitting, but I'd also be stuffed for the rest of the day.

As others have said, I can do FAR more damage at the holiday table, where someone's mom has cooked enough yummy snacks, dinner, and dessert for a small army. Plus I'll end up going home with equally sinful amounts of leftovers. Way more dangerous than a fast food joint!
  • changeconsumeme
    changeconsumeme Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat Chik Fil A once or twice a week, MOD Pizza or Papa John's on occasion, Panda Express, McDonald's, a looooot of Dunkin' Donuts, Starbucks, Panera, other various eateries...still losing weight.

YES. Deficit is what matters!