Best 'milk' for weight loss?

Options
I don't really like milk, but have been thinking of adding porridge (oatmeal) or cooking some rice pudding or custard. Obviously, semi skimmed or skimmed milk is better than the full fat variety, but there are also many other options, such as almond milk, soya etc..

I bought almond milk once, and it looked horrible, it was separated and looked 'off'. I'm not sure if that is the way it usually looks, or I just bought a bad carton. I've tried soya in drinks from Starbucks, but have very limited experience using milk alternatives. What do you think is the best one to use with goods taste but low calories?

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    There is no "best" milk for weight loss. Pick what you like and work it into your calories.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    No milk is best for weight loss. Any milk can be utilized if it allows you to consume less calories per day than you burn. To that end, unsweetened almond or cashew milk is usually the lowest calorie milk available. That said, those two types of milk don't have much if any protein. So if part of your goals include getting a certain amount of protein they wouldn't be optimal. The bottom line is any and all foods can contribute to a weight loss plan so long as they allow you to remain in a calorie deficit.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,022 Member
    Options
    Regular milk is what I use. Good nutritional profile, inexpensive, and it isn't made with palmitate.

I've been at maintenance for years. I use quite a bit of dairy. Greek yogurt, cheese, butter, milk.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    The one that fits your diet the best. I grew up using 2% so that’s what I still use for cooking or having cereal.
  • MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I use semi skimmed, I just record it on mfi and so far I'm losing weight. Simples.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    No milk is best for weight loss, and it's not obvious that low fat is better than full fat - it has to be seen in context: How you choose to spend your calories, and taste, is individual and subjective, price can be a factor, not to mention allergies, religious faith and ethical values.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I put soy milk in my coffee and heavy cream in my eggs. It's whatever works for you and makes you happy. Just count it.
  • KeithWhiteJr
    KeithWhiteJr Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Cashew milk. I use it in my cereal.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The one you like and doesn't make sticking to your calories harder. I use regular low fat milk for drinking, skim milk in oatmeal and cooking, occasionally drink goat milk or raw cow milk in the cheese making season, and homemade cashew milk during Lent (which is quite calorific and I need to make sure it fits my calories when using).
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to up my fat intake so I’m currently buying whole milk.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I agree with a lot that's been said, but Blue Diamond Unsweetened almond milk is only 30 calories per cup and doesn't have the hormones that is in regular milk....So that might be favorable for you. I've never noticed a "separation" of the milk, but have noticed that the label says to use it within 10 days of opening. That being said, I use it / keep it for much longer and I'm fine.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I make kefir from whole milk, and my greek yogurt is made with 2/3 fat-free and 1/3 whole milk powders. One of the first changed I made when trying to lose weight now 95 pounds ago was to switch from 2% to whole milk.
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Lol, I phrased the question poorly, looking for which one tastes the best, balanced with its calories. I've not tried many, so seeking opinions. As an aside, I'm not fond of cow's milk.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @mmapags is right - There's loads of alternatives your just gonna have to try them all, until you find one you prefer. Alpro works in hot drinks for me and I can stomach about anything else in oatmeal. I never liked rice milk but I know others that do. Get your taste buds working.... Explore and enjoy the experience.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Whichever you like the best, which fits your calories and macros.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »
    Lol, I phrased the question poorly, looking for which one tastes the best, balanced with its calories. I've not tried many, so seeking opinions. As an aside, I'm not fond of cow's milk.

Well, again, it just depends. I would never drink almond, cashew or any other fake "milk" products because they taste awful to me. What tastes good to me (skim milk) may not taste good to someone else. You determine which tastes the best. We can't tell you what you would like.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    tess5036 wrote: »

Honestly? Go to the store, look at the various types of milk and pick one to try based on what macro/calories fit your needs best. Try it out. If the taste is a fit go for it. If it just tastes plain nasty, try another one.

Taste is very subjective, so the only way to know is to try.

Also, what stores near you carry will also be different.

A friend of mine and I tried our way through the supermarket's entier selection of milk and ended up settling on the pasteurized, full fat cow milk, from pasture cows. We just couldn't deal with at times odd tastes from the various nut milks and I personally don't digest soja well (extreme bloating).

Possiblities:
    - various cow milks (different fat contents and processing methods)
    - goat
    - sheep
    - Almond
    - Cashew
    - Oat
    - Soja
    - Coconut

You'll find various types (sweetened and unsweetened), some with added flavors (vanilla soja is a popular one around here) some plain. Really, depends on location/supermarket

It might take you a few tries to find one you really like and it can cost a bit of money (especially if one you try is so vile that you end up dumping the rest), but it's worth it to figure out what you like (or can tolerate if you don't like anything).

It's actually fun to try this together with friends - have a 'milk tasting' so to speak (also helps spread the cost a bit). You might even find some recipe ideas to use up some of those milks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you want to try non-dairy alternatives, they're basically flavored water. If you don't feel like buying 10 cartons of different nut drinks just to try how they taste you can make them at home: soaked nuts/seeds/grain plus water in a blender.