Drinking water why??

Options
Why is it really so important to drink a lot of water? I never do because I don’t have time to run to the bathroom repeatedly, so has that really slowed down my weight loss, or is it harder on my kidneys somehow? I am frequently dehydrated, but my ankles and fingers swell when I do drink extra water, so I take lasix occasionally to get rid of that.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    It's only important to drink a lot of water if you need a lot of water to stay hydrated.

Why do you think you need to monitor your water intake or increase your water beyond what you already drink at all?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    For hydration. But you probably don't need "a lot".

The only weight loss benefit water has is if it keeps you from drinking your calories.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    It's not important to drink "a lot of water." It's important to drink an appropriate amount according to your needs. It sounds like your needs are different from the average person's. You should discuss it with your doctor if you're worried about being dehydrated.

Water has little to nothing to do with weight loss. Having a steady supply of water can help with appetite, or prevent water retention due to high sodium consumption. That's about it.

^This. It's also not a good idea to screw around with diuretics simply to manipulate water weight.

Is that what Lasix is? I've never heard of it. I assumed the OP was taking it under a doctor's guidance.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's not important to drink "a lot of water." It's important to drink an appropriate amount according to your needs. It sounds like your needs are different from the average person's. You should discuss it with your doctor if you're worried about being dehydrated.

Water has little to nothing to do with weight loss. Having a steady supply of water can help with appetite, or prevent water retention due to high sodium consumption. That's about it.

^This. It's also not a good idea to screw around with diuretics simply to manipulate water weight.

Is that what Lasix is? I've never heard of it. I assumed the OP was taking it under a doctor's guidance.

It's a prescription-only diuretic: https://www.drugs.com/lasix.html
    Lasix (furosemide) is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt. This allows the salt to instead be passed in your urine.

Lasix is used to treat fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome.

Lasix is also used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).

...Lasix will make you urinate more often and you may get dehydrated easily. Follow your doctor's instructions about using potassium supplements or getting enough salt and potassium in your diet. While using Lasix, you may need frequent blood tests....

...Avoid becoming dehydrated. Follow your doctor's instructions about the type and amount of liquids you should drink while you are taking Lasix...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

last I knew its by prescription only. and if the OP is dehydrated the pill could be doing that combined with not drinking enough water
  • runs4hops
    runs4hops Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No calories....no alcohol...no resveratrol....Pffft! :p
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge water drinker, either, in part because my job doesn't allow me to run to the bathroom often (I teach in a program that requires students not to be left alone, ever). I know it isn't great for my kidneys to be as dried out as I am, but given the bathroom situation and the fact that my hands also swell, I do what I can
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cmm7303 wrote: »
    I'm not a huge water drinker, either, in part because my job doesn't allow me to run to the bathroom often (I teach in a program that requires students not to be left alone, ever). I know it isn't great for my kidneys to be as dried out as I am, but given the bathroom situation and the fact that my hands also swell, I do what I can

Can't you drink more before and after work?
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    cmm7303 wrote: »

Can't you drink more before and after work?

nah i get it, I am a mover i work in peoples homes and in buildings/outdoors without appropriate/easy bathroom access. By time i get home i eat and relax for bed, If i over hydrated to make up for dehydrating self a bit for work id never sleep running to the bathroom.

Sort of just have to find middle ground. MY bladder is non existent i swear.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    RoddersT wrote: »
    No calories....no alcohol...no resveratrol....Pffft! :p

Beer is just flavoured water....
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    pennoxford wrote: »
    Why is it really so important to drink a lot of water? I never do because I don’t have time to run to the bathroom repeatedly, so has that really slowed down my weight loss, or is it harder on my kidneys somehow? I am frequently dehydrated, but my ankles and fingers swell when I do drink extra water, so I take lasix occasionally to get rid of that.

Is this a joke? (I'm serious, I find a lot of silly questions on here turn out to be trolls, or people who are bored at work)
    Your body needs water. How much is up to you, based on your climate, exercise level and body size. Your body is swelling because it is afraid to let any water go, because you have probably been chronically dehydrated for a while. I think you should talk to your doctor and tell them you don't drink very much water and take water pills in order to further dehydrate you.
    There is always such a thing as too much water, or too little. Either way, your body will let you know. I think your swollen ankles are trying to talk to you, you should listen.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Water is good for every system in your body, not just for weight loss. I'm curious what you do that you don't have time to go to the bathroom?
  • tayusuki
    tayusuki Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Your body will also function better hydrated! Just like when you chronically undereat, your body puts forth the calories to essential functions (which is why some people will lose hair). The same thing applies to water.

When you drink plenty of water regularly, your body is able to freely use it for your systems -- not just essential ones. It'll make you feel better. An athlete friend told me that the need to pee every 5 seconds goes away, I haven't found that for myself yet so YMMV. However I've noticed my body has adapted to a higher fluid intake. If I drink less than my new normal (~80oz), I feel extremely thirsty. Yet when I rarely drank water, that wasn't an issue.
  • str82nichelle
    str82nichelle Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I needed to drink much water either until dehydration landed me in the hospital with blocked bowels. I was dried out like a prune. Now I drink atleast 2 liters a day, sometimes more. I chill i my urine looks clear because I know my body is hydrated enough.
    Also, with the meds that I take, my doctor advised me to drink plenty of water to help keep the toxins flushed and my kidneys functioning properly.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Trust me on this, you don't want to be hospitalized for either dehydration or renal failure.