Really Discouraged Newby

Options
2»

Replies

• brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sharon_C wrote: »
    As you can see everyone is going to tell you that THEIR way of losing weight is the ONLY way to lose weight. Keto, veggies, low carb, every single one of those eating plans has one thing in common--eating less calories. And we all know eating less calories makes you lose weight.

If exercise puts you in enough of a caloric deficit you will lose weight that way too. However, mainly weight loss happens in the kitchen. I would suggest setting your MFP goals to lose 1 pound a week (maybe even .5 pound), weighing your food and logging your food and then STICKING WITH IT! Consistency and persistence is key.

Very much correct. There's a pretty good book called 'Diet Cults' that talks about people's obsessions with finding the One Correct Way to Eat but if you want to lose weight the broadly correct way (which derives from physics and other science fundamentals) is to eat at a calorie deficit. Whatever else you do in support of that main goal is less important (unless you have very specific dietary needs such as low sodium or whatever).
  • ipmac22
    ipmac22 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this healthy eating thing. I have gained 40lbs since January and no amount of working out seems to be helping. I'm hoping to find some encouraging friends that have found success. Please feel free to add me.

Hey, out of curiosity, what is actually discouraging you? I'm not sure this has been addressed? Is there something discouraging you from moving forward with mindful/more healthy habits and a plan? Or are you just talking about your disappointment with current status?
  • ZhivagosGirl
    ZhivagosGirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70 lbs this year eating "normal" food (had pizza for dinner last night) and creating a deficit. I know some people might look down their noses at me, but if you don't want to get caught up in all the minutiae of a "system" or particular type of diet you can just eat less of what you're eating now. Now, depending on what it is, how far that gets you in terms of feeling full may be another story that you might have re-evaluate but I'm here to say it can be done.
  • theabsentmindednurse
    Options
    After 2 years on MFP and 93 pounds down I can honestly say, ....
    Listen to your own body. It wil actually tell you what it needs.
    And Be honest. Log correctly. Every mouthful.
    Even ok those bad days.
    It really is CICO and eating within your daily caloric goal.
    A wide an varied diet is helpful, but your the one that needs to take those gentle steps, each and every day.